Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Synthweaving is *HORRIBLE TERRIBAD AWEFUL*

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Synthweaving is *HORRIBLE TERRIBAD AWEFUL*
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kemic
02.24.2012 , 10:54 AM | #51
Currently, I am leveling an Assassin and a Sorcerer. I already have a lvl 50 Marauder with Cybertech. My Sorcerer is an Artifice, and the two have the appropriate gathering/missions skills to support their craft skills. My Assassin is leveling with Slicing, and the two mission skills to support Cybertech and Artifice.

I managed to get a moddable belt/bracer for both of these characters. So now the Assassin and Sorcerer have 7 pieces of moddable armor (head, chest, legs, feet, hands, wrists, and waist) plus a fully moddable weapon. Every 6 levels or so, I deck them out in full purple Hilts, Color Crystals, Armors, Mods, and Enhancements. As well, whenever it is available, I create a new purple ear piece. The only item I need to purchase is the implants, which I have been just watching the GTN for good ones that are on for fairly cheap.

The only thing that sucks about this, is that as an artifice, my Sorcerer can make a brand new purple Focus every few levels, but I cannot make a new shield generator for my Assassin tank, since that willpower shield generators are still not learnable from the trainer.

But what I'm saying, is that moddable gear is so easy to get, that keeping a character completely decked out in purples while levelling takes very little effort on the part of the player (mind you, some effort is still required). If I hadn't already levelled my Marauder as a Cybertech, I would have simply given those crew skills to my Assassin.

Kemic
02.24.2012 , 10:57 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Hey, Synthweaving is getting a significant update in the upcoming Game Update 1.2.
When are some sort of PTS patch notes going to be available on this patch? Seeing as it is looking that very many different changes that are going to have a large game impact are coming with this patch, I would really like to have some sort of heads up, before I go and do something, and then sit there kicking myself for it a couple weeks later.

Corran
02.24.2012 , 12:29 PM | #53
Hey, Synthweaving is getting a significant update in the upcoming Game Update 1.2.
since armormech is in the same state, i hope this includes it as well
"No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect." - Corran Horn
http://www.twitch.tv/dixa1

Arrys
02.24.2012 , 01:42 PM | #54
Ia gree completely and they have added this new e-mail feature that when a charachter hits level 10 they send a nice e-mail with a link to a guide which for the consular recopmends the player go synthweaving or artifice.

/flail

Noooooo!

As a light armor class social armors offer every slot in orange to the class. This is the last class that needs to consider synthweaving for anything but appearance purposes unless it gets a substantial upgrade.

They darn well better make worthless skills like synthweaving worthwhile or they are gonna have a large number of irrate casuals on their hands as a result of their braindead recomendation.

Cybertech to make your own armor mods, mods and earpieces plus add an aoe stun or snare grenade - helpful for levelling...

Artifice - would be more valuable if commendations didn't get you enhancements at 2 commendations per(No side market and little self use) enhancement to fit in that orange social gear you can purchase. OK hilt's and lightsaber crystals not completely worthless but generally available by upgrading weapons if you aren't color picky.

Bio - King of all tradeskills for endgame might as well level it you'll need it...NEED it and the healing pots which also heal your companions will also be helpful for shadow spec levelling.

my level 50 cybertech is busy churning up mods and armor for my shadow. Gonna be in beastly purples in full orange armor at all level intervals post 20....making Bio the easy winner.

Forthepie
02.24.2012 , 06:23 PM | #55
I am hoping they remove the "Sith Warrior/Bounty Hunter" etc requirements, I'd love to be able to make those and wear them or make them and outfit my companions. Let Heavy be heavy ...etc.

Requiring Jedi Knight/Counsular for medium armor is kinda limiting.
Save your fork, there's pie.

Delrusant
02.25.2012 , 04:01 AM | #56
Well if you do not use retro engineering synthweaving is useless, but with retro engineering it gets a lot better, it is especially useful for early level 50 players before they have done tons of dailies to get mods and comendation for their orange equipement.

It is also great for level 50 early PvP/early hard mode flashpoint for bracers / boots / gloves / waist bands.

It has been about a month I am a 50, and I am still selling to new 50s what I have develop for me (sentinel) but mostly what I have developped for consular either sage or shadow (because mats are cheaper so I RE-ed to T2 purple more pieces despite RE-bug).

Another point is that crated pieces are cheaper to repair than moded orange at equivalent level.

that is about it.

Just an example, for sage you have 3 blue base level 49 schematics from crafter with alacrity. you can RE them for critical or power; then RE them for alacrity, giving them huge alacrity and that is without the criting slot from mastercraft. When you see sage/inquistor do 500k damage in warzone, they are those with very high alacrity to max speed their cast. (the most have seen a melee dps in warzone is between 300 to 350k damage). Distance dps can often do 350 to 450k, but the only 500k plus are sage/inquistor and both are with casts where alacrity is overpowered.

pahbi
02.25.2012 , 11:20 PM | #57
I appreciate the response, but I've already switched over to biochem, and I'm nothing but unhappy at the gobs and gobs of credits I have lost to synthweaving.

Frankly, I don't ever see synthweaving as being useful to jedi, no matter what you do to it.

Its a endgame skill (barely), and the codex should be updated to reflect that, so new folks don't fall into the same mistakes I did.

- Pahbi

Spectus
02.27.2012 , 04:09 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
I'm not sure what game your playing, but its not this one.

I have yet to see a synthweave item of blue quality even come close to what my roommate gets from her moddable orange armor. She hasn't had to replace a piece of armor in 30 some levels. She just makes new mods and BAM, totally up to date armor.

And don't even get me started on needing to make 10-15 of an item before I get a single one to RE so I can get a blue schematic. I'm on my 13th pair of Force Adept Boots, still no RE.

Oh, and just to make things even that much happier, those Force Adept Boots I'm trying to RE (and have failed 13 times so far), take a material that can only come from crew missions, even though its a green item. Talk about *EPIC FAIL*.

Sorry, but your the odd data point. In terms of helping a player level, cybernetics beats synthweaving hands down, no contest.

Bioware should just ditch synthweaving, or at least put a "This skill sucks donkey deeks" disclaimer in the codex so others don't make the same mistake I and others have.

- P
I suspect you're comparing apples to oranges here.

I have four toons that I've levelled up to 400 in their respective crew skills: Artificing, Armormech, Synthweaving, and Cybertech.

In general, a a prototype-quality crafted armor piece is slightly superior to a moddable piece with prototype-grade inserts of the same level. Ditto purple-quality pieces. And when you factor in the chance for a Great Success on any crafted armor piece (which gives the piece an augment slot), it's the crafted armor -- purple quality with a good augment -- that will qualify as best-in-slot.

And don't think Reverse-Engineering mod pieces is all cake and bunnies, either. Consider that you have to get crit successes on THREE items (armor inserts, mods and enhancements) in TWO DIFFERENT crew skills (Cybertech for the armor inserts and mods, and Artificing for the enhancements) to equal ONE all-in-one crafted armor piece. Same, and possibly worse, for keeping moddable weapons up-to-date: for lightsabers, two crew skills -- Artificing for the lightsaber crystals, hilts, and enhancements, and Cybertech for the mods -- or three for ranged weapons, because it's Armstech that makes gun barrels.

The chief benefit of going the moddable-gear route is that if you find a look that you like, you can keep it for the long term. My level-50 Shadow has a white robe chest piece that he got from the heroic 4+ mission into the rakghoul lair on Taris, and I don't plan to part with it until I absolutely have to give it up in favor of a Rakata chest piece. And maybe not even then, because I hate the look of Rakata gear. Looks like something purloined from Queen Amidala of Naboo's wardrobe rather than something shadow-y. Especially that ridiculous hat with the fan-shaped thing protruding across the top from ear to ear.

And finally, good luck finding moddable belts and bracers. There are a few that are obtainable from flashpoints, but they are VERY few. I *think* there are some schematics that drop from crew-skill missions, but I have yet to see any. Count yourself one of the fortunate few if you get a moddable bracer or belt from any source.

Of course, you can compensate by purchasing many of the above (except moddable belts and bracers) from Commendation Vendors or even Specialty Items vendors -- but that's the case for any item, including Biochem products. You can buy baseline stims and medpacks from any Medical Services vendor. The chief benefit of Biochem is that it will allow you to save the money you'd otherwise spend on medpacks -- assuming you do more than just use the ones you loot as you go. Yes, it's nice to have more-powerful medpacks and stimpacks, obtained by RE'ing crafted green products, but that goes for armor and weaponry as well. It's nice to have good crafted blues or purples, no matter whether they're armor, weapons, or consumables.
=================================
CANCELLED

Spectus
02.27.2012 , 04:14 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Arrys View Post
...My level 50 cybertech is busy churning up mods and armor for my shadow. Gonna be in beastly purples in full orange armor at all level intervals post 20....making Bio the easy winner.
I understand the value of going that route -- it's a viable strategy. However, just to give you a heads-up, the gravy train ends at level-49. Once you reach the cap, you'll be grinding the Belsavis and Ilum dailies for level-51 inserts just like everyone else.
CANCELLED

Xeowolf
02.27.2012 , 04:14 AM | #60
I leveled synthweaving to 400 twice. Once on an alt at release while my main gathered the resources for it. When I hit 400 I realized this was a mistake. Rakata synthweaver only gear. So then I had to level it up on my main and relearned many extremely annoying to unlock blues and purples.

Let me be clear my main is a raid equipped level 50 jedi guardian. At release on my realm and for quite awhile after, I was the best geared tank on the republic side for jedi. This was only due to Synthweaving and a lot of effort. From 1-30 you will NOT find defensive based gear period. No mods, very few quests and almost none of the drops in the flash points will give you defense gear.

Yet I was highly tuned rocking blue and purple gear with great defensive stats and augment slots. The only way this was possible was through synthweaving and unlocking blue and purple crafts.

That being said, as i leveled higher past 35 I was able to start using some orange gear. But even still I would eventually unlock an amazing purple piece with defense and other tank stats and even augment slot crit it. This destroys = level orange mod slot gear in most situations.

Is it less useful if yer not a tank? Possibly since it was easier to get mods with stats that are still useful for just about any other spec. But the bottom line is if you put the effort into it synthweave can be both incredibly useful leveling and very profitable.

Does it need some love? Most certainly and I will see how it does post patch 1.2