Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Synthweaving is *HORRIBLE TERRIBAD AWEFUL*

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Synthweaving is *HORRIBLE TERRIBAD AWEFUL*

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Mavnas
01.17.2012 , 01:38 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by zacharySW View Post
Hey! The grass is greener on the other side.

Dude, go ahead and spend your time making FANTASTIC mods! And you know what? You can replace every one of them with commendations at the end of a planet, or just buy new ones from the mod guy at the begining of a planet.

Then, wonder of wonders, you can hit 50 where your PvP gear doesn't even use mods, and your PvE gear already had better mods.

You can't win dude. Crafting is meant to be something to do while you level, it isn't meant to gear you, to gear your companions, or to make you money. Its just for fun.
I'm usually 3-5 levels over a planet by the time I first step on. By the time I can buy the blue mods from it, they're now like 3 tiers or more below what I can make.

The way i see it purple synth gear is better than purple modded gear due to the augment slot, but you only have to learn one purple mod per level you want purple gear at. You have to RE each individual purple piece with weaving.

Deathapproachs
02.23.2012 , 04:39 AM | #42
My biggest problem with this skill is this: I'm a 50 jugg 400 synth and am currently running NM ops and all the patterns that drop are one infurior or equal to tier 2/3, and two it's almost all bind on pickup. What's the point of gathering so many patters when you cannot do anything with them? My companions are decked out in tier 2/3 gear for no reason atm. There no good thing about 400 synth end game junk unless you can sell it and or send it to alts or different toons. After you craft your t3 gear it become the most useless crafting skill there is. Bioware definfinatly needs to fix this major problem for this skill. It's utterly pointless for end game content and patterns.

dizzyMongoose
02.23.2012 , 02:44 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Mavnas View Post
I'm usually 3-5 levels over a planet by the time I first step on. By the time I can buy the blue mods from it, they're now like 3 tiers or more below what I can make.

The way i see it purple synth gear is better than purple modded gear due to the augment slot, but you only have to learn one purple mod per level you want purple gear at. You have to RE each individual purple piece with weaving.
But on the flip side, none of the crafting skills can create all the mods needed for a standard orange armor or weapon, so even though you can create purple armoring and mods, that piece you customize will not be as good as a purple snythweave of the same level (unless the item doesn't have an enhancement slot). I go back and forth with weapons in Armstech because of this, since the only mod I can directly generate on my orange blaster is the barrel. (But I like my pistol model too much to use another, so my weapon crafts go to my companions.)

I do agree that commendation vendors take a lot of the excitement out of crafting. I don't feel like making much with my Cybertech alt when I can get blue mods after every planet that are usually superior to what I can craft for my level without constantly going through the effort of RE my mods for upgrades.

GeorgZoeller
02.23.2012 , 07:52 PM | #44 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey, Synthweaving is getting a significant update in the upcoming Game Update 1.2.

Ilayas
02.23.2012 , 10:34 PM | #45
The daily lv 50 heroic quests get me all the mods I need. At lv 50 I haven't bought any mods for my self or my companions. I have no need to because I can get them for free (or cheaper then what people are offering on the GM).

I have been able to sell a lot of the modable gear on the AH. Particularly the modable lv 47 light armor head piece that looks like a head band. It can be worn by companion characters and doesn't look silly like most light armor hats. Been able to sell a lot of other modable chest and leg piece on the ah because people like how they look and can mod them accordingly.

Synthweaving has been worth it for me. My knight alt has been appreciating it and I am rather fond of my t3 belt and bracers on my sage.
◚◚◚◚◚◚ịịịịị▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Imperial Entanglements: A SWTOR Parody Web Comic

Rotny
02.24.2012 , 02:32 AM | #46
I actually like synthweaving because I spend 10 mins every now and then getting the blue versions of items which are better than equivalent lvl orange gear with green mods etc. Also my look changes more often, I don't want to wear the same armor from lvl 10-50. RMG is random but I've nevr had too much difficulty getting blue recipes, and if you stay on top of your gathering skills you'll have an abundance of mats and every now and then will even get a purple version of an item.
In short, if you're not making yourself good gear while leveling, it's cause you're not doing it right. :-/

Xelestial_Dragon
02.24.2012 , 08:54 AM | #47
The only good I can see Synthweaving is, is when it's maxed out or for RE'ing to get epic versions of schtuff. It's also nice to learn custom gear to make for alts and yourself. Not a terribly practical/useful profession though. I wore custom gear the whole time so I didn't finish my Synth. My husband stayed on top of his, maxing his out maybe in his 30s and only got a few good pieces while leveling (rare custom gear slots basically). It's more useful now that he's 50.

Mysquine
02.24.2012 , 10:13 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Hey, Synthweaving is getting a significant update in the upcoming Game Update 1.2.
Leaving it to the imagination as per usual. Would be nice to actually get a little bit more info than the same response "Upcoming".

Anbokr
02.24.2012 , 10:17 AM | #49
Synthweaving at max level is now theoretically one of the best min/max skills in the game... To get a crit slot crafted belt/bracers = a free 56 main stat, and the best part is afterwards you can drop the skill for biochem or another crafting skill. But cybertech is absolute garbage now, and with the biochem nerfs you can just buy the equivalent of rakata at an affordable price (or better if you're rich) and enjoy you're free 56 main stat and rakata belt/bracer ahead of everyone else.

Now if you're talking about leveling up that's an entirely different story--but I leveled with a synthweaving buddy and he always made us awesome blues that ended up lasting many levels until he could create the next blue.

Ostguden
02.24.2012 , 10:24 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Mysquine View Post
Leaving it to the imagination as per usual. Would be nice to actually get a little bit more info than the same response "Upcoming".
What we know so far is that orange armor will be crittable. That combined with the fact that we will be able to remove armoring from set pieces should produce some interesting alternatives for endgame.

I'm personally hoping they will add legacy schematics.