Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Synthweaving is *HORRIBLE TERRIBAD AWEFUL*

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Synthweaving is *HORRIBLE TERRIBAD AWEFUL*
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

pahbi
01.15.2012 , 07:02 PM | #1
The title says it all.

If you don't read anymore of this post, please please please avoid the mistake I made and get cybernetics or biochemistry if your looking for crew skills that will help you with leveling.

I play a Consular sage and I saw synthweaving and read the description in my codex and thought, 'wow, this will help me get gear for leveling'.

Wow was I ever *WRONG*

And I don't mean just the normal kind of, 'oops this is wrong'. I mean 'OUCH THIS STINKS!' kind of wrong.

The patterns that I learn from the trainer never produce any more than 1 or 2 items at most, that is helpful for my level, my crew mates pretty much almost never find patterns when they go looking for materials.

By comparison, my roommate went with cybernetics and she is having a blast! After each planet, she makes up a batch of mods for her nearly full suit of moddable armor, and her companions are similarly well geared.

And now I have to beg her for mods for my armor and the whole time I'm just shaking my head at why synthweaving which is advertised as making armor for Jedi's, isn't particularly useful for making armor for jedis. Frankly, it just flat out STINKS STINK STINK STINKS.

I'm posting this so no one makes my mistake.

Take synthweaving if your into roleplaying or you just want to be different or you think it looks interesting. But do *NOT* expect it to be helpful for leveling.

Take cybernetics if you want something that will actually help you in a meaningful way while you are leveling.

- P

allexj
01.15.2012 , 07:11 PM | #2
/agreed
Support Togruta,Bothan and other Alien Species! I Support LGBT Romance Arcs.

Apatheistic
01.15.2012 , 07:35 PM | #3
I agree wholeheartedly. Personally, I've stated in general chat no-less, about this very issue. Synthweaving just doesn't produce results for your level. It's more of a profession to assist guild members. Hopefully there's something good to be held at 400.

CerilSkye
01.15.2012 , 07:40 PM | #4
I also agree, today i switched from synthweaving to artifice. Artifice is great because you can create new mods, hilts, etc to upgrade your gear.

Daedricshots
01.15.2012 , 07:45 PM | #5
Sorry gona have to disagree, and here's why.

Today i made gear for my inquisitor and khem val all which where upgrades from existing quest gear. Got lucky and found a design for synthweaving from a drop that was a fully modable chest piece. If i didnt have synth i would have just sold it or sent it to an alt.

Synth gear beats commendation gear due to lack of dark/light requirements. I can RE greens and get blue quality that exceeds quest gear. All my mats are free and i use commendations to buy mods and weapons.

Sorry you dont think synth is any good but i dont think you see the bigger picture here.

Lawsie
01.15.2012 , 08:21 PM | #6
and at 400 you can make rakkata armour (140 epic). thats pretty good.. right?

You can also crit when making these and get an augment in them which i did on one piece.

pahbi
01.15.2012 , 09:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Daedricshots View Post
Sorry gona have to disagree, and here's why.

Today i made gear for my inquisitor and khem val all which where upgrades from existing quest gear. Got lucky and found a design for synthweaving from a drop that was a fully modable chest piece. If i didnt have synth i would have just sold it or sent it to an alt.

Synth gear beats commendation gear due to lack of dark/light requirements. I can RE greens and get blue quality that exceeds quest gear. All my mats are free and i use commendations to buy mods and weapons.

Sorry you dont think synth is any good but i dont think you see the bigger picture here.

I'm not sure what game your playing, but its not this one.

I have yet to see a synthweave item of blue quality even come close to what my roommate gets from her moddable orange armor. She hasn't had to replace a piece of armor in 30 some levels. She just makes new mods and BAMN, totally up to date armor.

And don't even get me started on needing to make 10-15 of an item before I get a single one to RE so I can get a blue schematic. I'm on my 13th pair of Force Adept Boots, still no RE.

Oh, and just to make things even that much happier, those Force Adept Boots I'm trying to RE (and have failed 13 times so far), take a material that can only come from crew missions, even though its a green item. Talk about *EPIC FAIL*.

Sorry, but your the odd data point. In terms of helping a player level, cybernetics beats synthweaving hands down, no contest.

Bioware should just ditch synthweaving, or at least put a "This skill sucks donkey deeks" disclaimer in the codex so others don't make the same mistake I and others have.

- P

Kesari
01.15.2012 , 09:35 PM | #8
Synthweaving is extremely profitable at higher level. I have made about one and a half milion profit just from crafting the force-master critical master crafts (artifact with augment slot). Also, if you are raiding then operation bosses will drop schematics which produce bind on equip gear similar to raiding level, which again is pure profit.

Synthweaving is pretty crappy to level characters with, but in the end its very profitable, if you do it right.

A master craft costs me 0 credits (No missions, I gather the materials) and brings me back 150k credits per craft. Is that good? Its amazing. Synthweaving is a great profession if you are a raider. You can craft and sell gear on the auction house which has the same stats as hardmode operation gear. But to get the schematics you would have to raid of course, since they are bind on pickup. The cvrafted gear however, is not.

here is a link to one of the many, many designs:
- http://www.torhead.com/item/8tpOROw (schematic)
- http://www.torhead.com/schematic/427...alkers-bracers (BoE craft)

The crafts can also crit an augment slot, making them better than the vendor token tier gear. The first critical craft is already reserved for 400k credits.

kevshootit
01.15.2012 , 09:51 PM | #9
I am really not having a good experience with it so far. I make gear, sell it and STILL I'm always out of credit. Maybe there is a trick t RE but I havent figured it out. I'd rather NOT have to spend hours and hours figuring stuff out on the forums just to be viable with my crew skills when other skills are easy cash and a lot less confusion. I am losing a lot of money sending my guys on mission after mission and i never seem to make up enough by selling what I make...

and more often that not, I am always missing just ONE ingredient to build stuff.

and don't even get my started on some of the "mysteries" of how many of each armor piece i need to make to advance to the next "tier" I WISH that BW would just TELL me what I need to do for that verses making me search and search on the forums to know how to use a skill in just the right way to be able to make money

Daedricshots
01.15.2012 , 10:11 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
I'm not sure what game your playing, but its not this one.

I have yet to see a synthweave item of blue quality even come close to what my roommate gets from her moddable orange armor. She hasn't had to replace a piece of armor in 30 some levels. She just makes new mods and BAMN, totally up to date armor.

And don't even get me started on needing to make 10-15 of an item before I get a single one to RE so I can get a blue schematic. I'm on my 13th pair of Force Adept Boots, still no RE.

Oh, and just to make things even that much happier, those Force Adept Boots I'm trying to RE (and have failed 13 times so far), take a material that can only come from crew missions, even though its a green item. Talk about *EPIC FAIL*.

Sorry, but your the odd data point. In terms of helping a player level, cybernetics beats synthweaving hands down, no contest.

Bioware should just ditch synthweaving, or at least put a "This skill sucks donkey deeks" disclaimer in the codex so others don't make the same mistake I and others have.

- P
First of all you're getting way to worked up over it. If you dont make a blue by the time youve RE'd about 5-7 then you just quit and move along. If you're doing this 15 times and no success you're doing it wrong. Noone is convincing you to like it because you've already made up your mind its garbage. My point is you are judging it based on your results and i judge it based on mine.