Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Colicoid Wargames: antithesis of what a flashpoint should be

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Colicoid Wargames: antithesis of what a flashpoint should be

Kemorand
01.15.2012 , 01:10 PM | #1
Never do this kind of Flashpoint again please.

1) You CANNOT have a group situation where success or failure rests on not the characters, but 100% on the players behind it, at least in a MMORPG. That's against the very definition of it.

2) NEVER, EVER, make it so the roles we all picked and played, the gear we all amassed, are not even a factor in a group situation. That should be obvious and a real no brainer, but apparently some genius mind over at Bioware just didn't get the memo. This can be great solo (like space battles) but not in a group situation.

3) If you do mini-games, make 100% sure that they are very responsive. The turrets in there are just not. Their rate of fire sometimes stops, then start again, for no reason whatsoever. The delay between aiming toward an enemy and the turret actually picking it up is also horrible.

4) Remove this Flashpoint from the Dailies.

As it is now, unless you have a specific group of people you KNOW can handle this (and want to), the entire turret part is a waste of time and space and since the Colicoids Drones can shoot through walls (yay!), you can't even just farm them old fashion style.

walkaway
01.15.2012 , 02:35 PM | #2
Even though this sounds like "I cannot outgear the content so I don't like it because I have no skills and can't complete it", I agree with you. As much as I enjoy other FPs in the game, CWG is dreadful. And it's not even hard, just the design sucks.

Battyone
01.15.2012 , 02:37 PM | #3
I'm guessing someone can't get past the two turret rounds. It becomes more traditional after and frankly I found the turrets to be easily handled either just 3 turrets + me healing everyone or 4 turrets pointed opposite directions.
Amistar Nelmarra -- 55 Sage, Ebon Hawk <The Azure Blades>
I stream my bad gameplay.
Come watch the Fat Man rageth on Twitch!

Antumbral
01.15.2012 , 04:35 PM | #4
I have no problem beating the turret section, but the OP is still correct that it's a terribly designed encounter to put into a normal mode group flashpoint, let alone at the beginning of the instance. The turrets are buggy and have bad responsiveness, and the minigame has horrible feedback such that the first time I did Colicoid it took my group maybe 4 attempts to finally figure out how the hell the damn things worked. The actual tactical parts of it are dull and repetitive and both turret sections drag on far too long to be interesting (especially if you've had to retry because you're new players learning the instance). On the other hand, when you bring experienced players who know how it works, it's a snoozefest with no challenge whatsoever.

I don't know anyone who's the least bit interested in doing Colicoid. Everyone I know who's done it hates the turret section because you can count on it to waste your time, and if you have to PUG you can be guaranteed that your new players will take multiple wipes to figure out the stupid minigame.

The little shield puzzle later on is equally tedious in that the enemies provide little real challenge (every group I've run it with just punts them off the ledge without fighting them) and it just forces you to spend time running around dropping shields.

Between the turret section and the shield puzzle you spend a distressingly large amount of time in Colicoid War Games doing things that have nothing to do with your character class, play style, talent spec, equipment, or skill level.

Graburr
01.15.2012 , 04:38 PM | #5
where in the games are you forced to do colicoid? don't like it? don't do it.

as for the daily, there are TWO instances per daily. just do other one. again, no one is forcing anyone to do colicoid.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kemorand View Post

1) You CANNOT have a group situation where success or failure rests on not the characters, but 100% on the players behind it, at least in a MMORPG.
don't know which MMOs you play, but if the tank/heal sucks, you're pretty much screwed. geared or not.

Hessen
01.15.2012 , 04:48 PM | #6
If your complaint is bugs, then that's fair enough, but optional content that is different to the norm that requires a little brain power to figure out isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

The flashpoint in question really does seem to sort out those who can problem solve and those who have been railroaded by previous MMOs in to what content should be.
Twisted
EU - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
16m Raiding Guild - Recruiting

Kemorand
01.16.2012 , 02:05 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
If your complaint is bugs, then that's fair enough, but optional content that is different to the norm that requires a little brain power to figure out isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

The flashpoint in question really does seem to sort out those who can problem solve and those who have been railroaded by previous MMOs in to what content should be.
Not "bug" per se, but total lack of responsiveness.

I'm also 100% for "out of the norm" concepts, but I'm still playing a MMORPG, not a platformer, not a FPS, not a turret defense. Anything that makes my character NOT important, in it's role and gear, has no place in this game or any other MMORPG for that matter.
Also, the only time I ran it, 2 people in the group just couldn't handle the turret part. They are decent players otherwise and are handling regular flashpoints without any problem, but between framerate issues and just not being used to aim/shoot gameplay (even worst with this one), after 15 tries (that cost us 25k in repair for each of us btw), we just gave up. These two are also terrible in space combat by the way, but it's solo so they just do their thing on their side, no problem there.

Someone can be good at something but suck at others, it happens. The number of time I've met incredible healers that just could NOT get around a map whatsoever, or great PvPers that just couldn't tank properly or heal properly...
I mean, imagine if you had to do the kind of jumping you need to get some datacrons, but simply to beat a raid boss? Well, that'd be me out because if there is one thing I cannot do (and don't want to do) it's platforming.
Since I'm playing a RPG (MMORPG? remember), I shouldn't even have to really. That's all I'm saying.

As a note, we were pretty confident that we could just kill the Colicoids without even using the turrets since as a group we can handle quite some incredible odds sometimes and figured it'd be way more interesting anyway. So we found a nice spot to cut down the line of sight from the drones and started...They SHOOT through walls! That just totally killed it for us and we left after that.

Tirani
01.16.2012 , 02:50 AM | #8
It's only one flashpoint, tzhere's no need to run it if you don't like it.
Personally I like Colicoid Wargames as it offers a interesting change of pace.

The turrets controls need a bit of tuning, but the I really liked the puzzle sequence.
Amethyst Shard a "The Progenitor" guild

Reeny
01.16.2012 , 02:55 AM | #9
Not sure why they had to make the turrets so slow and unresponsive...

It would be good if the turrets work the same as those on the spaceship which shoot fast and respond fast but these collicoid turrets really suck.

Players shouldnt have to
1) Get out and heal
or
2) Shoot the other way
just to be able to "cheat" the system and win the round.

Badly designed and implemented flashpoint.

Niggle
01.16.2012 , 03:37 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
^yes

Considering the turret rounds last about 10 min all together, I wouldn't judge the 'whole' flashpoint based on one mechanic. Using right mouse to aim the turret, it's easy enough for my guildies and myself to kill one drone before he fully gets out of the ground and kill the other before it does too much damage.

No one should be needing to get out and heal if you are doing the turret properly. If the melee bugs are getting remotely close to you something is wrong considering the turret blasts penetrate and do aoe damage.

Hoping another week or so and the majority of threads will turn into Directive 7/(maybe Tion Hege) feedback/complaint threads.
░ A N I M O S I T Y
░ G U I L D

WEB ██ VIDEO ██ THREAD ██