Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

RuQu's PvE Combat Medic Guide (Updated for 1.2)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
RuQu's PvE Combat Medic Guide (Updated for 1.2)

RuQu
01.18.2012 , 12:04 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Proctor View Post
If this forum had a search feature, I'd go find it. As it stands, it would take far longer than I'd like to find a link. So I'll say that I've tested it personally and hope that it holds weight.
Yeah, someone else gave anecdotal evidence for it, so I'm taking it on faith at the moment since I don't have the time or an alacrity relic to test it.

RuQu
01.18.2012 , 01:09 AM | #12
I'm currently travelling, but next on the list to add are these two things, if anyone wants to run the numbers:

1) (Healing per Second)/(per Ammo) numbers for our heals.

2) Diminishing Return thresholds for the ratings. Plot the equations above as a function of the rating and see where the curve turns and levels off.

Temidien
01.18.2012 , 03:08 PM | #13
Thanks for the (truly) informative guide!

I just started getting into the CM side of things last night (currently lvl 16) as part of a three-man group and really enjoyed being the dedicated healer. A guide like this will definitely help me get my skills up to snuff to be useful in groups

RuQu
01.19.2012 , 11:52 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Temidien View Post
Thanks for the (truly) informative guide!

I just started getting into the CM side of things last night (currently lvl 16) as part of a three-man group and really enjoyed being the dedicated healer. A guide like this will definitely help me get my skills up to snuff to be useful in groups
You're welcome. Travelling right now with no time for updates, gonna try and get some new info I've been working on up around Sunday or early next week. Ran some numbers though, and, just getting this out there before the update, it currently looks like power >> crit. More work is still needed, but I've been a pretty strong crit advocate up til now so while I think we shouldn't ignore crit entirely, it is looking like power is the better choice by (in Tionese, the starting level of Ops gear) a factor of 2.76 to 1.

RuQu
01.20.2012 , 10:13 AM | #15
Added a calculator with just over 2 minutes of assumed rotation that calculates stat weights. Link and more explanation are in Post #3 on Page 1.

Barnacleface
01.20.2012 , 12:41 PM | #16
Very good information here.
One thing I have been struggling with is picking the right companion for when i'm stuck soloing. I recently switched from gunnery to combat medic and I am having trouble getting used to healing while my companion does all the damage and takes a beating.

RuQu
01.20.2012 , 08:51 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Barnacleface View Post
Very good information here.
One thing I have been struggling with is picking the right companion for when i'm stuck soloing. I recently switched from gunnery to combat medic and I am having trouble getting used to healing while my companion does all the damage and takes a beating.
Most of them do pretty well if geared. I ran with M1-4X for a long time after I got him since I am a Cybertech and gearing him was easy. We did quite well together.

On a lark I pulled out Dorne one day to see what dual healers could do, and I liked it so we ran together for a long time. She could heal me when my AP was on cooldown and dps when my TP and a quick AP/MP every now and then was all I needed.

Around Quesh I started having trouble getting things dead in time with her, which was especially problematic with a certain quest boss who had some painful spells that we can't interrupt because Commandos (and our mirror the Mercenary) are the only AC without an interrupt on a short cooldown that locks out ability use. I switched to using Tanno as my tank/dps and that worked well and we are still running together.

Really, I think most combos are pretty viable. Jorgan and Yuun will do more dps, but need more healing from you so that may be your full time job. If you want to do some of the damage yourself, use M14X or Tanno. If you want to do most of the dps, but keep TP on you and have good heals in a pinch, use Dorne and take advantage of the cheap Charged Bolts from Supercharged Cells.

RuQu
01.20.2012 , 11:05 PM | #18
I was playing around with the calculator and trying to optimize the HPS while staying in the same rating budget (ie remove 10 from Crit, add 5 to alacrity and 5 to surge). I found max, using the Tionese budget, was at 40-50 Surge and all other ratings dumped into Power.

I posted a topic on the healer forum detailing what I did more, but long story short the math says Power=Aim >> Anything else.

RuQu
02.01.2012 , 01:25 PM | #19
I was concerned I might be undervaluing alacrity due to not modeling SCC and RC usage...so I did.

There is now a version 2.0 of the calculator that assumes intensive burst healing within SCC followed by a recharge phase. You can change the rotation assumptions about RC usage and full cost MP usage from the front page.

Alacrity still has strange effects. At the default assumed stats it has a slight upgrade at +1, but negative at +2-30 (all I tested). This is likely due to all the reasons it produced negative value during the steady state assumptions: lack of effect on instant GCD, and lack of interaction with regen leading to greater effective cost of abilities, thereby necessitating either downtime or HS usage, which decrease HPS.

Unfortunately, I think that version 2.0, while cleaner, is a little less reader-friendly (in the calculations and rotations, not the results), because I had to resort to using VLOOKUP to cleanup a lot of my code. It made it a lot easier on me, and got me away from the formula cap I was hitting, but it left the rotations a little harder for the user to read.

Feedback and any bug reports are appreciated.

Mirdthestrill
02.03.2012 , 10:31 PM | #20
This guide is incredible! I just converted to CM, and this guide convinced me to stay with it! Great guide!
I <3 alts!