Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Account Cancelled: Terrible FPS after 3 video cards

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Account Cancelled: Terrible FPS after 3 video cards

thejumpingsheep
01.15.2012 , 09:31 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kirkkh View Post
Seriously, a clean install is not an answer. Why does every tech enthusiast insist that a clean install will help. Don't recommended someone go through the hassle of that ordeal. You know that's not going help.
Incorrect. Most people dont have a hardware problem. Most of the time it is software running in the background like snorten Norton, Symantec antivirus, bloatware printer drivers, steam, possibly virii, bloatware auto-update programs, etc etc. Also, check to make sure that browsers are closing properly and for petes sake do not keep them open unless you have tons of ram (8gig +). IE is garbage and creates tons of bugs so just avoid using it. Firefox had a few bugs where it didnt really close even after the gui closed. Chrome seems to work well so far but its only been a few months for me.

Another issue is if you run out of memory and go to swap or the pagefile. If your drives are not well maintained, properly installed (drivers and all) this can be a huge slowdown. You will note that people with tons of memory tend to have less performance issues than those with better hardware but less memory. Its because once you move to swap your speed slows down dramatically due to bus speed bottleneck.

Both of the above scenarios are eliminated with a clean install which is much simpler than explaining to a non-tech how to fix them individually. Its also cheaper to try than new hardware.

Worked as a tech for a few years and 9/10 times, computers were fine & the problem was the person using the computer and all the stuff they installed. My mom is notorious for bringing even a supercomputer to a crawl because she loves to keep 50 browser windows open and 10 programs running in the background... and she leaves them all on for weeks on end without turning anything off... I could give her a 1000 cpu cray and she would still bring it to its knees and complain that its too slow.

Marzelias
01.15.2012 , 09:44 PM | #22
Just to clarify, this is all with Task Manager showing minimal processes running (only essentials and Avast running)

P.S. Im a multiple-certified Computer/Network technician and have been working on Windows-based systems (PC/Laptop/Server) for over 8 years and know what I'm doing

Sulmithagreyse
01.15.2012 , 09:46 PM | #23
i have that gtx 550 ti and i overclocked it to 1050 with 2300 mem oc with a dual core athlon II oc'd to 3.7

it's enough for 40 on high settings on a busy fleet/warzone and at least 60 everywhere else

trial and error doesn't work for everything, learning how to properly troubleshoot is the only legitimate approach you should have.

if you're a tech like you say you should realize you have other issues and they're not called swtor

people with identical setups are doing fine.

JaxinRiens
01.15.2012 , 09:56 PM | #24
What type of ram is that 4gb?

4gb DDR3, might be good enough. If it is 4gb ddr2 it doesn't matter what graphics card you drop in their your ram/cpu is your bottleneck.

What is the spin on your drive, and are you using a large page file?
Jaexin Riens :: Drakenus::Jahne Riens::Caenen Riens:: Naekino Riens::Kadall::Reyla::Saedes
"Those without power seek to gain it, those with power seek to exploit it,those without want of power are dead." Darth Maladus

Kolbenito
01.15.2012 , 10:44 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by RedPands View Post
I find this funny. I know I have a terrible computer. I run about a 5 fps average on my computer but I get through it and people complain when they run 20 fps in quests and 10 in warzones. I run about 3 in warzones. I get over it I expect this game to not run good on my junk laptop
30+ consistent fps is the area where a game is considered playable. At the fps you are talking about it is called a slideshow
Kolbe - Sith Juggernaut - Jung Ma RP-PVP
Kolben - Vanguard - Jung Ma RP-PVP

VtTethias
01.15.2012 , 10:54 PM | #26
Tried the FRAPS trick?

justcallmetarzan
01.15.2012 , 11:04 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Marzelias View Post
4GB memory
There's your first problem. I would imagine that your page file is too small as well. Basically, no matter how fast your graphics card is, you aren't going to get good performance if you can't get the information about the world sent to the card so it can build it. You probably also have a 5400 rpm hard drive (/facepalm).

I have 6gb memory and I have some gameplay issues, but mostly my issues are using other things on the second screen.

It's not a problem with the game - it's a problem with your PC setup.

Sulmithagreyse
01.15.2012 , 11:08 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by justcallmetarzan View Post
There's your first problem. I would imagine that your page file is too small as well. Basically, no matter how fast your graphics card is, you aren't going to get good performance if you can't get the information about the world sent to the card so it can build it. You probably also have a 5400 rpm hard drive (/facepalm).

I have 6gb memory and I have some gameplay issues, but mostly my issues are using other things on the second screen.

4gb is plenty

Delurm
01.15.2012 , 11:11 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by justcallmetarzan View Post

Wierd - I only have 4 GB of memory and I run with everything on high (even shadows) and run netflix HD streams on my second monitor with no slowdowns/issues - even in fleet.

30 fps lowest to over 100 depending on location.

That's all on a crappy 'ol AMD Athlon x4 3 Gz w 4 GB DDR2/800 ....

Although I do notice tons and tons of posts with people who have i7's getting micro stutter... must be an intel thing.

justcallmetarzan
01.15.2012 , 11:12 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Sulmithagreyse View Post
4gb is plenty
Not if you are running ANYTHING else at the same time. Generally, including Windows.

SWTOR wants about 2.3gb of memory, give or take... that doesn't leave enough overhead for a smooth performance.