I'm afraid the Sniper Spreadsheet is quite operational.

Tibbel

For anyone interested in optimizing your sniper stats and spec, there's a spreadsheet at SithWarrior.com that is designed to help with all the number-crunching.

Which sniper spec is the best? Well this can't answer that.

But if you want to know how much DPS X spec does over Y amount of time, against Z target(s), given A, B, C, D, E, F, (etc.) other input factors, then this is the tool you're looking for.

Features and Capabilities:

• All three skill trees available for selection. Test out full Marksman, full Engineering, full Lethality, or any hybrid spec in between!

• Fully customizable character stats, buffs, set bonuses (PvE and PvP), and target defensive stats.

• Up to 300 action lines to define your own ability sequence. Is it better to start with Series of Shots or with a Snap Shot Snipe? Use this to find out!

• Damage tracking for both burst and net DPS. Want to see the best 10-second damage sequence? What about 6 minutes? Here you go.

• Full coverage of the Gunslinger mirror trees and skills, as well as calculations for dual-wielding pistols, for our dirty-fightin' cousins.

• Stat weights calculator and item comparison tool. Should I use a power or crit mod? Is that new piece of loot an upgrade over what I have? Get a customized answer with the Sniper/Gunslinger Spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet is a .xlsm file about 1.3 MB in download size. There are macros in the file, and macros must be enabled for several of the spreadsheet's features to function. Click the above link or the link in my signature below to be taken to SithWarrior.com to download it.

Download it and try it out! Send me a PM if you find anything quirky or not-quite-right about anything you see. I've done some testing to get where it's at now, but without an infinite amount of time, it can't be perfect. Any input is appreciated!

Keep in mind:

• The results you get out are only as realistic as your inputs. The default character settings are pre-populated with a skill spec and some gear stats, but you will obviously see the most accurate final results if you use your actual spec and stats (or ones you're considering).

• Same thing goes for the target's stats. The default stats are the current best estimates for an operation boss, but if that's not what you are optimizing for, then you should change the values to be more representative of your typical targets.

• These results are theoretical. You will likely not do quite as well in reality due to fight mechanics and inefficiency in performance (although isolated individual fight results may occasionally be higher than these results by being lucky with crits, etc).

If you have any questions about the spreadsheet, such as how to use some of the features, definitely leave a note below or in a PM to me and I'll be sure to help you figure it out. :)

Looking forward to seeing even more well-informed discussion about skills, stats, and the like here, across the forums, and across the interwebs!

Edited by Tibbel

How accurate do you think the 30% armor for bosses (assumption) you've set by default is?

The Sith Sorcerer Madness thread seems to suggest it's 50% for bosses (and all champion mobs)

Then wouldn't it be 30% 2 seconds later with the armor debuffs coming in at 20%? Perhaps they assumed a debuffed state?

Then again removing 20% armor doesn't work like that in most games, it works on the armor stat not the mitigation percent.

Edited by ducksmyth

I have filled out all the information for my gear,spec and priority.

Is there any way to auto fill the attack sequence or do I need to work it out by hand and fill it out?

The spreadsheet will not fill in your action sequence for you.

That feature is something that I'd like to add in the future when we have enough data from experimentation to create some more concrete rules for defining a priority sequence.

Obviously, a combat log would go a long way toward making that kind of data validation more practical.

How accurate do you think the 30% armor for bosses (assumption) you've set by default is?

The Sith Sorcerer Madness thread seems to suggest it's 50% for bosses (and all champion mobs)

The default of 35% is based on data that was gathered during the beta. I have seen the claim that operation bosses have 50% armor, but I have not seen any data to support that claim, so 35% will remain the default assumption for now. (The armor value is user-definable, though, so if you want to try a target with 50% or 95% armor, you can.)

Shatter Shot and the other similar 20% armor debuffs are assumed to reduce the armor value of the target by 20%. Because of the diminishing returns of armor mitigation from armor value, this is a reduction of somewhat less than 20% of the target's base energy and kinetic mitigation.

Currently, the various armor debuffs' effects are assumed not to stack with themselves or with each other.

Holy ****, Tibbel! I can't imagine how much time and work went into making this thing. Thank you so much! This is going to be an invaluable tool in the arsenal of every good Sniper. We're lucky to have a player like you on these forums. I hope you don't mind that I posted a link to this thread at the top of the Sniper's Handbook. Anyway, thanks a million and keep up the good work!

From my experience Lethality is a decent chunk lower dps than both pure MM and 25/16 spec. In pve anyway, I test my dps by seeing how long it takes me to kill the 110k mob in infernal council(solo dps on it) lethality was significantly lower 200+dps than my pure MM spec. Cull and sos are both pretty buggy, I have video evidence of cull channeling and doing no damage, then not going on cooldown and letting my channel it again the 2nd time, this time doing damage. Also trying to not clip dots is very challenging in an ops environment due to the lack of a "only show my dots" or "emphasis my dots" option in the ui. Edited by Imspecial

I was just checking out some of the features of the spreadsheet and noticed there were no options to select Debilitate or Eviscerate. Again, fantastic work, but until those are added, I won't really be able to create an accurate rotation within the confines of the spreadsheet.

Also, it would be very helpful if the Ability Priority list was longer than 20 abilities. I find

myself using between 20 and 25 abilities on a regular basis, considering that short pauses ("wait for 0.5s") count as abilities.

Edited by Karaokelove

Eviscerate cannot be used on Elite, Champions, Bosses, or Players. Are you looking to optimize the damage done in Solo PvE? This spreadsheet I'm pretty sure looks to keep your energy above 60, which isn't necessarily that optimal in a Solo PvE environment.

I was just checking out some of the features of the spreadsheet and noticed there were no options to select Debilitate or Eviscerate. Again, fantastic work, but until those are added, I won't really be able to create an accurate rotation within the confines of the spreadsheet.

Also, it would be very helpful if the Ability Priority list was longer than 20 abilities. I find

myself using between 20 and 25 abilities on a regular basis, considering that short pauses ("wait for 0.5s") count as abilities.

Do you have an example of what kind of rotation you might be executing that includes more than 20 unique actions?

Adding in utility abilities like Eviscerate is something I could do in a future update. Up to this point, the priority has been in getting standard DPS abilities implemented and accurate.

Eviscerate cannot be used on Elite, Champions, Bosses, or Players. Are you looking to optimize the damage done in Solo PvE? This spreadsheet I'm pretty sure looks to keep your energy above 60, which isn't necessarily that optimal in a Solo PvE environment.

The spreadsheet does nothing to tell you what you should do. It takes what you say you are doing and tells you what kind of damage you should expect.

The spreadsheet was updated today to fix a few bugs and to add Laze Target as a selectable ability.

See this post on SithWarrior.com for the full list of changes and the link to the new version. I've updated this thread's original post to include the new link.

I am working on a couple of large posts that I hope to have up sometime this week or over the weekend over at SithWarrior:

• An analysis of DPS for different sniper specs (MM, Eng, Leth) using a standardized set of gear.
  • A full how-to guide for using and customizing the spreadsheet.

With these, I hope we can continue to work together as a community to show all those silly glowstick-wielding dingbats what it really means to dish out the hurtin'.

Edited by Tibbel

The spreadsheet does nothing to tell you what you should do. It takes what you say you are doing and tells you what kind of damage you should expect.

Yeah that comment was not directed at you, it was at the previous post to mine. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Oh wow... I have my own minor spreadsheet but this is excellent. Solid work, I'll be testing it very thoroughly for Lethality PVE damage mate, and I know I have at least one or two guild mates who will want to use it for Marks.

*highfive*

I'll go ahead and start off discussion on something. I have not even used the spreadsheet yet but I want to see others' thoughts on Surge vs Accuracy for DPS gains.

Right now I believe Surge is at about 4.7:1 ratio of percentage gain per rating over Accuracy for me, just from looking at the ratings. Now, depending upon crit rate, that varies in actual value statistically, but if I go off say... a 25% crit rate (quite low obviously), its still 1.175:1 in favor of Surge, right?

So I would assume, until I have significantly higher Surge and diminishing returns combined with the scaling value of Accuracy from overall DPS would eventually cause it to take over, for now Surge is the ideal stat.

Of course since the game does not have reforging like WoW (which is more versatile than our mod system) we can't pick and choose too finely, so we're stuck with Crit/Surge mods OR Power/Accuracy mods. Darn... where are those Surge / Accuracy mods!!!

What do you think?

Edit: I've played with it some now, definitely awesome mate. Thanks so much.

Edited by Skouros

• 5 weeks later...

I tried the spreadsheet but it gave inaccurate gains, in comparison to my character sheet and the whole rotation thing is way over my head....im lethality and it tells me not to use Weakening Blast lol.

Wtb a guide for us weaker minded people.

Edited by Tylerlee

I tried the spreadsheet but it gave inaccurate gains, in comparison to my character sheet and the whole rotation thing is way over my head....im lethality and it tells me not to use Weakening Blast lol.

The spreadsheet doesn't say anything about what you should do -- all it says is what damage you should expect to see under the conditions you define.

Any yellow cell on any of the tabs is user-definable, so it's up to you to try things out.

Also -- what specifically are you seeing that's inaccurate?

Wtb a guide for us weaker minded people.

The 2012-02-11 version (and all versions since) have featured a brief guide on how to fill in the spreadsheet. I certainly welcome feedback on areas in which you feel that could be improved. :)

On my spreadsheet it lists Datacrons Cunning as 1391, how is this worked out? Also how does it handle weapons? my off-hand has both tech power and power, is that worked into just one stat? The Datacrons stats are the most confusing to me, dont we all just get 40/40/40/40 for getting them all?