Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Dungeon Finder System Eventually


harpuax's Avatar


harpuax
12.14.2011 , 12:07 AM | #41
Dungeon finder? I already know where to find them, in WOW, EQ, EQ2, RIft etc. We have flashpoints here And those are easy to find too, just go where the quest directs you to go.

Caelrie's Avatar


Caelrie
12.14.2011 , 12:16 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by orsengodsbane View Post
I would like a system for makeing meeting ppl for certian instances, but not something that warps me inside the instance. i would miss meeting up with ppl and travaling together along the way. iv played many mmo's and ones like wow became very boaring very fast because waiting around became very sleepy.
Have you people even played this game? You won't be traveling anywhere with your group. These forums will be so much less frustrating when only people who've actually played the game can post.

Drakenborg's Avatar


Drakenborg
12.14.2011 , 12:44 AM | #43
YES to LFG chat channel in game, visible on all planets.
NO to LFG Tool - one or multi server.

I have played quite a few MMOs and cross-server LFG tool always had bad impact on the community.
Actually, the only type of LFG Tool I liked was in Aion (leave your msg on LFG msg boards and wait for someone to whisper you to group up).
Brakkar
Radiant Knights

swtor.radiantknights.co.uk

Epyoch's Avatar


Epyoch
12.14.2011 , 12:53 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Zezv View Post
I think you are all crazy and trying to make something into nothing. Takes from the game... This game like all things in life will be what YOU make of it. Not ruined or great because of some dungeon finder.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and thank you for sharing yours.

Quote: Originally Posted by Zezv View Post
If I had a dungeon finder would it take from exploration. Hell no I would explore while I waited for the que.
Then you are the exception to this commonality among mmo players.

Quote: Originally Posted by Zezv View Post
Should the dungeon finder be cross server? YES that was a stupid question if you ask me.
I'm not asking you, but again thank you for your opinions, I disagree with you on most of your points.

Quote: Originally Posted by Zezv View Post
More people = faster ques = more people wanting to play over the couple of antagonists that say otherwise.
This is not necessarily the case, back in vanilla, bc and wrath (before the lfg tool) as a dps, i was able to successfully find full groups, in less than 10 minutes, because I would have an extensive friends list of group members that I liked in the past. And even when they were offline, I would advertise in trade or something and usually have a full group in 15-20 minutes.
when the lfg tool went cross server my ques were upwards of 40 minutes, (a few times I'd have to wait an hour). Even now, typically at the end of a patch cycle, queue times are upwards of 20-30 minutes for dps...albeit instant for tanks and much shorter for healers.

More people might mean faster ques for some, but not everyone, Dps are hit the hardest because there are more dps on every server than there are tanks and healers (probably combined). Which for dps it means longer queues.

Quote: Originally Posted by Zezv View Post
Its funny to me to watch people try and turn ridiculous points of personal preference into fact.
Actually some people are stating their displeasure because of personal experiences. see your quote above and tell me that that isn't personal observations that you are spouting off as fact.

Quote: Originally Posted by Zezv View Post
In case non of you who are apposed to the easier dungeon systems have noticed. Its an MMO that means bigger than you and your little brood. If you dont like games where you cant always be the big fish maybe you should stop playing MMO's
Obviously you never played an mmo without this "feature", or were labeled a "griefer, ninja, or something negative" on your server so nobody wanted to dungeon with you. For that I am sorry. This is a MMO and you are right...but it can still fulfill it's label as a MMO. Communities are formed on a server, you get to know other people on the server, you get to know if someone is good, and want to level/do heroics with. You also get to know the people who aren't so good, and can choose not to play with them. In LFD the level of anonymity is staggering...odds are you won't ever play with that person again, so that person, or you, are free to be as much of a troll or ninja as you want, because there is no consequence.


You obviously have no sense of community, and that saddens me....
.

Zikah's Avatar


Zikah
12.14.2011 , 12:58 AM | #45
I'd agree that implementing it right away would be sad because it really does break your ability to meet up and make friends through exploration, but I'd be fine with it late-on in the game.

Reason why? Because in all honestly, after we've all gone to these instances plenty of times, taking the extra time to run there isn't anything special at that point and there's no reason to waste time on it.

It's one of the main concerns I have about flashpoints in the game. After you've gone through the dungeon enough times that you've pretty much seen most of the differences in the choices you make throughout the dungeon, is there any way to just skip through the dialog really quick to get through the flashpoint quickly?

Again, at the start of the game, there's no reason for things to be rushed through, but when it's near the end of a patch/expansion? I don't see the reason for dragging it out.

DiTH's Avatar


DiTH
12.14.2011 , 12:58 AM | #46
I agree with most posters here.A global LFG channel is the way to go.It might seem old fashion but it works fine.

LFG tool might seem useful in short term but the ammount of dmg it does on the community in the long run is huge.I also on knew almost everyone in my server pre-LFG tool but after that slowly i was surrounded by complete strangers.

I also want to give an advice to many players out there.Dont play solo.There are a gazzilion group quests out there.And the game is a lot more fun grouped.You can use the general chat to search for groups for the momment and you can see who is LFG in the social tab.Just click O and whisper ppl in your level to group up.It will make the game better for everyone.

UnsoundMind's Avatar


UnsoundMind
12.14.2011 , 02:32 AM | #47
While I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of LFD feature later on in the game life cycle, I am inclined to agree with many here that I do not want it to be cross server. And I don't want it anytime soon. And, of course, it must be done properly to avoid the pitfalls of other games LFD's.

My biggest gripe with a LFD tool, is the same as most here. Pre-dungeon finder in wow, I had a huge friends list. I was able to meet and interact with players on my server in a meaningful manner, and I rather enjoyed it. As a direct result, I knew many people from many different guilds, with whom I became friends. Because I grouped with them, to do a dungeon. I had a reputation. I knew the reputation of others. There was a community.

Fast forward to now. My friends list has shrunk to the point where there is at most 2-3 friends online, usually 0 that are not in my guild. Friends transfer servers, quit the game, or whatever, and they are simply not replaced. The only time I meet new people, is when new people join my guild, which is pretty infrequently. Why? Because the only people I ever do anything meaningful with, are my guildmates. And, yes, it is because of the LFD tool.

I realize I could just round up some people through trade chat, but it's a difficult venture since the advent of LFD. For most, it's simply easier to just queue up, and speed through the dungeon, especially if you're a tank or healer. I generally play tank or healer characters, and I actually ran MORE dungeons before the advent of the dungeon finder. Why? Because I knew the people I was playing with, and we were running the dungeons for fun. Now, I do my best to never run dungeon content, with the exception of the first day it's released. The experiences are just a grind when going with strangers you'll never see again, when the ultimate goal of the dungeon is to clear it as fast as possible for dungeon points. I actually enjoyed doing dungeons when I didn't have to grind through them to reach a weekly point cap.

If there is ever a LFG tool, I would prefer it if there were no cross-realm functionality except for FP's that are below the level cap. (It can be significantly more difficult to find groups for these once the game is well established.) For max level FP's, there should be no reward whatsoever for using the tool vs. making your own group. It should not port you to the entrance. What i would rather have, however, is simply a tool that you can put your name in, your desired role, and what instances you are looking to run. And then simply make your group from the pool.

Jiminimonka's Avatar


Jiminimonka
12.14.2011 , 02:35 AM | #48
My opinion is that we don't need anything like that in the game, get into a decent guild with people you like to play with. Problem solved. Farming instances just for loot is not fun anway, and even worse with strangers (even if they are from the same server).

MareLooke's Avatar


MareLooke
12.14.2011 , 02:35 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by undeadsoul View Post
I think it is best to implement the LFD later on as well. I have tried playing other games after they are established and it can be very difficult to find a group. After being unable to find a group to run the first few instances I will usually abandon the game and look elsewhere. (I challenge anyone interested in say EQII who has never played to find a group for a dungeon)
I gotta agree that finding a group in EQ2 can be a royal pain, especially at lower levels (at least on the European server (there is only one English EU server left), I noticed US servers don't suffer this problem quite so much), however this is due to a lot of other problems the primary one being a dropping population (due in big part to serious neglect from SOE) and the fact that getting into the game is just really hard for a newbie (due to the fact that most of the people that are playing the game were the same ones that were playing 7years ago so everybody knows everybody else)

So EQ2 has the inverse problem of WoW, a too tight knit community of regulars where it is really hard to break into, IF you get into it though you get a really nice experience (admittedly, most people give up before they get this far). Opposed to this is WoW's community where nobody knows or cares about anybody else.

If I REALLY have to choose I'd rather go with the EQ2 way, but a way in between (like TBC-WoW was imho) would be best.

The real challenge imho is not to make it dead simple to find a group (LFG tool), but to make sure that:
  1. There are enough people in low levels at all times (so don't make leveling stupidly fast possible) so there ARE people to group with, this is a big issue in WoW as leveling is too fast
  2. Get the reward/effort ratio for flashpoints right (don't give too much loot, but don't make running the dungeon pointless either)
From what I've seen so far ToR has gotten things pretty much right. Of course, only time can tell so if anything this discussion is a tad premature. I still believe a cross-shard LFG tool is the wrong solution to the problem though.

Caelrie's Avatar


Caelrie
12.14.2011 , 03:26 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Epyoch View Post
This is not necessarily the case, back in vanilla, bc and wrath (before the lfg tool) as a dps, i was able to successfully find full groups, in less than 10 minutes, because I would have an extensive friends list of group members that I liked in the past. And even when they were offline, I would advertise in trade or something and usually have a full group in 15-20 minutes.
when the lfg tool went cross server my ques were upwards of 40 minutes, (a few times I'd have to wait an hour). Even now, typically at the end of a patch cycle, queue times are upwards of 20-30 minutes for dps...albeit instant for tanks and much shorter for healers.

More people might mean faster ques for some, but not everyone, Dps are hit the hardest because there are more dps on every server than there are tanks and healers (probably combined). Which for dps it means longer queues.
Queues TODAY for a DPS are 10-12 minutes. I know, I used it today.