Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dungeon Finder System Eventually

Zeikfried
12.13.2011 , 02:31 PM | #21
A Looking for Group matchmaking system is fine. For those wanting community, don't use it, set up groups in chat, with people on your server or in your guild. For folks like me who run with guildies whenever possible, but don't have the 45min to an hour it took to get into a dungeon group by spamming general/trade/lfg, it was great! In my hour or 2 I have to play tonight due to work/kids I can actually run a dungeon if no one is online/feeling like doing it? Excellent!

Options are always better than no options.

splices
12.13.2011 , 02:55 PM | #22
Pointless, its a pointless sistem, and i have no intrest in a game that uses it.

the sistem make no sence to start, and the only thing this helps is to destroy any kind of good, fun that is coused by an MMO it take any feel of an mmo and makes it feel more like L4D or some crap like that.
"We do not recognize your authority!"

R.I.P My good old buddy we will miss you > . <

pitdingo
12.13.2011 , 03:00 PM | #23
back in the old days you had to sit around spamming chat looking for a group. Most of the time, you never could get a group. Or you get a group, spend a hour getting to the instance, only to have someone drop, then you have to go back to the city and spam LFG, General, etc... Yeah, that sure was fun.

There are no rules which force people to use a dungeon finder / lfg tool. You want to feel nostalgic and spam general all day trying to find a group, go ahead. the majority of players do not want to.

BTW - this has nothing to do with world exploration. If there are fun/worth while things to do in the world, people will venture out. In WOW, there is nothing to do outside the cities once you are done leveling.

Maybe rather than porting into the instance, you should port to the nearest hub?

Ramsese
12.13.2011 , 03:25 PM | #24
I can see both main points for both sides.

The LFG tool is great for convience. There were many nights I did random PUGs after everyone else in the guild went to bed. I like running dungeons. I get my fill of the attitude people exude. But, ultimately, I still enjoy running dungeons in general.

The LFG tends to weaken group cohesion. This is mainly due to the attitude and lack of connection to the group mates. You will likely never see them again, so why invest more than the most absolute minimum. It matters less if you avoid every point of damage you possible can and to taunt every mod as best you can.

My suggestion would be to offer a LFG tool for conveience. But, to also offer some sort of bonus for making a premade group and actually walking up to the entrance to do the dungeon. I mean, gather 3 other players (not companions) and actually go there. Maybe you will get 10% more credits to drop or possible even a crafting doo-dad at the end.

noahjam
12.13.2011 , 03:36 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramsese View Post
My suggestion would be to offer a LFG tool for conveience. But, to also offer some sort of bonus for making a premade group and actually walking up to the entrance to do the dungeon. I mean, gather 3 other players (not companions) and actually go there. Maybe you will get 10% more credits to drop or possible even a crafting doo-dad at the end.
I agree with this. I think the option to queue for dungeons should be available. Options are important. But with that said; I think people that choose to go "the extra mile" should be rewarded. It also rewards players for forming their own groups, and keeps the world a little more active. If a LFD system was added, I don't think you should earn social points in those groups. Maybe that stays reserved for pre-made groups.

Slaxon
12.13.2011 , 03:38 PM | #26
Want a dungeon finder system?

Spoiler

Linddal
12.13.2011 , 03:38 PM | #27
I want it basically as it is now. but with a better layout.

I dont want anything to do with cross servers, i dont want to qeueue up for a flashpoint and have the server make the group.

it should be people who form these groups, a mmo is a social kind of game, so send some whispers.

thats just my 2 cents... no LFG system, just a better layout of the current.

curzed
12.13.2011 , 03:51 PM | #28
As previously stated a comparison of WoW experiences should not affect this game but at least provide with some constructive hints of perhaps what to avoid.

At start and maybe even up to and including a future expansion I would *totally* vote this feature down. Just let the people use the in game chat and LFM, LFG which will be much more fun because everyone wants to do everything anyway.

However I also remember as someone else mentioned when I rerolled in WoW after two years the constant agony of NOT finding a group to do instances with.

You were constantly worried about :
1) Finding a group at all in the first place. You were essentially forced to sit in a major city yelling in trade/general which meant that I could sacrifice two or three hours and have no fun at all.

2) Traveling was not fun because usually the group was quite a loose set of people anyway who were just leveling/questing and really didn't want to spend their time traveling which left it up to me and begging someone else to follow so we could summon the rest.

3) Suddenly someone just left the group without a single word or comment or anything. Typically this happened just a few minutes before you would arrive to the summoning stone. NOTE : Just remember how it felt when you were alliance and went all the way to Scarlet Monestary (shudder)

4) When someone left the group then usually everything fell apart. The reason was normally that they were questing at random locations and there was no suitable way for anyone (except me) to port back to a major city and start spamming trade/general again.

If you were *lucky* to get a new member again just go back to the worrylist.

So normally about 30-50% of the groups fell apart in these circumstances.
Great gametime, NOT!

What I think will be the best landmark of when to implement a more "sophisticated" LFG tool is when instances during leveling and/or hard group quests are almost never completed at all. (Bioware will have the stats)

To conclude I would vote a long-into-the-future LFG tool where you have :
1) A GLOBAL chatgroup where you can find members. (actually that would be nice to have at once)
2) When implemented include the option to zone at least reasonably close to a hub where it's easy to get to the the instance.
3) Initially do NOT implement it as cross-server.
4) When the "LFG tool" single-server starts to get less and less used then think about implementing it cross-server but not before that

Caelrie
12.13.2011 , 04:13 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Danash View Post
I personally would hate a dungeon finder, for the simple reason that it would end up like in WOW idling in Stormwind/Orgimmar until your queue pops. I used to love skirmishes at raid instance portals, which are relatively non existant with the rise of dungeon finder tools.
What game do you think you're playing? The instance portals in SWTOR are in a non-PvP area anyway.

DecalGuy
12.13.2011 , 04:21 PM | #30
/signed

I wouldnt mind a LFD tool but about a year+ after launch and please only be able to search your server!!! Played WoW for awhile and afetr hitting max level all I did was stay at the bank in Q's pretty much anytime I logged in. Thats also why I quit wow, I had everything in about 2 weeks for 3 characters.

Pleasse dont implant this the wrong way Bioware!!!