Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dungeon Finder System Eventually

Dodd
12.15.2011 , 04:08 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by vadmacska View Post
I would support an LFG tool as long as it is server only. My experience was that a cross-server dungeon finder made people care less since there wasn't a consequence if someone wasn't nice in a party. When people played only with people on the same server the word 'reputation' had a meaning. With a cross-server LFG tool it's just "who cares if I leave/ninja I'll never gonna meet those people again anyway".

Before the cross-server LFG system I tended to know a lot of people on my server because I grouped with people on my server. When the cross-server LFG tool hit I got surrounded by strangers with whom I was never able to meet again even if I wanted to since there wasn't a way to /friend them even if they were nice.

Not using the LFG tool was not really an option since most people used it around me. We mostly sticked to guild runs with my guildies as PuGging was most of the time horrible via the Dungeon Finder.

I do not wish to argue over this, these are just my two cents.
THIS. Big time.

Building a server community is what Bioware should look at doing...not just having a bunch of faceless players you don't know come together to fight and loot stuff. The only way is by getting people on the same server to group together...making friends and facilitating that functionality.
Dodd Formeianna
<ALVIS>

Ampalaea
12.16.2011 , 11:50 AM | #122
the day they will add LFD it will be the day zero..after this day begin the countdown until the explosion and community is dead...I played 6+ years wow. Back then I had a full friend list and also a notepad in my desk to add more names as the friend list was full...I knew everyone in my server from both sides..every player had its own reputation. even now I can sit down and write 100 character names I remember from my first vanilla server...

after a while, the moment I was logged in, I had plenty of whispers from people to go and do some activities, either dungeons or pvp or group quests, e.t.c. And everytime I was needed something I just opened my friend list and start to ask people I knew...If you were a good guy (a nice person not necessary a good player) you always found something to do with group of people...

I understand that for some people it was a nightmare and LFG tool came to their relief. They try to tell that there wasn't any community back there and that the game was awful and they were waiting hours to form a group, but I know why they feel that way and they know too..they just don't want to admit it.

Now I don't even remember a name of my last group in lfg. People have became like npc standing next to you and barely say something at all...character names have been replaced by numbers (6700 gs, 30k dps, 380ilvl, e.t.c.)

I have quited wow and have a lot of hope for swtor, please don't leave it to destroy. I clearly understand that as-holes also pay the monthly subscription and they need a tool to survive through the randomness and anonymity, but if you love the game you created just try to avoid it..A server Based only lfg maybe it would work, but even then I like it to be after a long long time.

Caelrie
12.16.2011 , 11:58 AM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Ampalaea View Post
the day they will add LFD it will be the day zero..after this day begin the countdown until the explosion and community is dead...I played 6+ years wow. Back then I had a full friend list and also a notepad in my desk to add more names as the friend list was full...I knew everyone in my server from both sides..every player had its own reputation. even now I can sit down and write 100 character names I remember from my first vanilla server...

after a while, the moment I was logged in, I had plenty of whispers from people to go and do some activities, either dungeons or pvp or group quests, e.t.c. And everytime I was needed something I just opened my friend list and start to ask people I knew...If you were a good guy (a nice person not necessary a good player) you always found something to do with group of people...

I understand that for some people it was a nightmare and LFG tool came to their relief. They try to tell that there wasn't any community back there and that the game was awful and they were waiting hours to form a group, but I know why they feel that way and they know too..they just don't want to admit it.

Now I don't even remember a name of my last group in lfg. People have became like npc standing next to you and barely say something at all...character names have been replaced by numbers (6700 gs, 30k dps, 380ilvl, e.t.c.)

I have quited wow and have a lot of hope for swtor, please don't leave it to destroy. I clearly understand that as-holes also pay the monthly subscription and they need a tool to survive through the randomness and anonymity, but if you love the game you created just try to avoid it..A server Based only lfg maybe it would work, but even then I like it to be after a long long time.
So if other people have trouble finding a group, it's because they're bad people, but if you have trouble finding a group it's because the game is bad. Nice double standard you got going there.

Your story is fishy from the start anyway. You say you knew everyone on both sides and their reputations. Studies show the human brain can't keep the details of more than about 150 people straight, but you claim to have done it with 10,000...

Riiiiight. Sure you did.

songofprecept
12.16.2011 , 12:04 PM | #124
No cross server it kiils community - fact

Communities on servers are what makes mmos special
.: Xenobia :.
www.precept.cc | gaming & stuff

Ampalaea
12.16.2011 , 12:08 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Caelrie View Post
So if other people have trouble finding a group, it's because they're bad people, but if you have trouble finding a group it's because the game is bad. Nice double standard you got going there.

Your story is fishy from the start anyway. You say you knew everyone on both sides and their reputations. Studies show the human brain can't keep the details of more than about 150 people straight, but you claim to have done it with 10,000...

Riiiiight. Sure you did.
where exactly did I said that if I cannot find a group the game is bad??really..and of course when I say I knew them all, I mean I knew a lot!of course I cannot know 10000 people..thats obvious!what you prove about this?did you really expected to write an actual number so to ask the scientists if I can know so many people or not?

or did I ever said that I had all of them in my brain??I said I had a full Friend list and a notepad in my desk to keep names of people!did you ever read the post?

Wycross
12.16.2011 , 02:02 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Aethyrprime View Post
I like being able to que up for an activity while I quest for another activity. When everyone is new and a game is fresh it is easy to get lots of people to team up for content be it guild mates or pugs. The problem starts to come in when people have started to cap out and focus on raids n such. The lower level content becomes more abandoned due to needing a team to do most of it. Mind you companions make this easier so that 2 people can do a 4 person instance but this is about being multiplayer vs single player. Putting together a team of friends will always be preferred for me but when no ones online and I'm still awake at 3:48am and wanting to get something done.. nothing beats hitting "join" on the team finder and just go about my business till prompted that enough other people my level also want to do it of the appropriate classes and pulls us in. Be it pvp or pve. I've played mmos since Anarchy-Online and newer games that don't have a great dungeon finder like feature all suffer from that same fate.. empty dungeons that get skipped in favor of "fastest/min-max" route to end game.

PS I utterly hate and refuse to ever spam a global channel for a team.
I concur with this opinion. I think the low level heroic quests are especially frustrating post-initial release. I think they're at least a little frustrating even at release. The need to group up for a leveling quest means that I have to stop playing and wait. That's not fun for me.

Ohnoto
12.18.2011 , 09:55 PM | #127
I've seen several other threads popping up within the past two days about this topic. As this was the first and currently the longest thread on the topic of dungeon finder, I am replying to this thread provide more attention to this subject.
Community Admin - TorCommunity
News, Guides, Forums, Character Profiles, and more.

simieon
12.18.2011 , 10:53 PM | #128
i am creating a rather large compendium of improvement ideas for the game in a forum thread tomorrow, and for that i would like some input on how a dungeonfinder tool could be made in the best possible way.
if you could help me out with input i would be rather thankfull.
i shat the sherif, but i did not poop the deputy #remembertoflush

Ohnoto
12.19.2011 , 07:46 AM | #129
For my own suggestion, go to page 7 of this thread.

There may not be a "best" way to have a dungeon finder system. There are arguments on both sides for and against it.

Reading through many of the postings on this thread, it appears that there are more people either against it or want it to be server only. Those commenting against it also mention of how it has dramatically changed how the game is viewed and played, how it has changed the community, and it does. It really does.

If you are posting a thread of issues, I think there are plenty on the forums unless you are adding some that have not been on these forums. I do wonder though if moderators are even lurking around here, because they are not locking duplicate threads like they did before the forum wipe.
Community Admin - TorCommunity
News, Guides, Forums, Character Profiles, and more.

Drebble
12.19.2011 , 08:03 AM | #130
Please oh please do NOT make it cross-server.

There is really just one thing stopping ninjas and other annoying people - not being invited to the parties anymore. Dont poop where you eat. Etc.

With a cross-server system, everyone basically becomes anonymous, and we all know what that does to people[1].

A LFG tool is OK, but for the love of pasta keep it same-server.

[1] See Gabe's greater internet f-wad theory (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/).