Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Veluthurk
02.11.2012 , 07:55 AM | #781
Both sides make interesting points, but I lean to the common courtesy side. However I recognize the companion thing does throw a kink in the established system, too.

It's unfortunate BW did not take Blizz's lead in establishing a similar system right from the get go or at least address the specific issue and establish their "official" opinion.

msdixi
02.11.2012 , 07:58 AM | #782
Quote: Originally Posted by Veluthurk View Post

It's unfortunate BW did not take Blizz's lead in establishing a similar system right from the get go or at least address the specific issue and establish their "official" opinion.
Totally agree and this issue does need to be addressed.

ActionJim
02.11.2012 , 09:46 AM | #783
Question, being relatively new to MMO's, what is the "standard practice" on selecting need for orange equipment that doesn't fit your class, but that you plan on modding for your strengths because you like the look of it?
My ally is the force...meatbag

Melonfarmer
02.11.2012 , 09:58 AM | #784
It's not really a big deal. If your Companion needs the gear, ask your group if it's okay to press the Need button. If another player could use it, let them have it.

I play a Scoundrel, and it's about as important that your companion have up-to-date gear as it is for you.

Still, it's better to ask first.
Quote: Originally Posted by Starch View Post
Communism is not a term that exists in star wars.

DamionSchubert
02.13.2012 , 06:04 PM | #785 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Need vs. greed isn't as simple in our game because of companions, as well as Orange Gear and mod extraction.

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for, and add a new button in between need and greed for players to choose if they intend the gear for these purposes - this will allow CC users to roll against each other without competing with the guy who wants to sell the gear for credits.

I don't have a timeline on this for you guys right now, though - certainly not in the next major patch. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed. In the meantime, I'll work on getting this feature in the works.

msdixi
02.15.2012 , 04:54 PM | #786
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
Need vs. greed isn't as simple in our game because of companions, as well as Orange Gear and mod extraction.

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for, and add a new button in between need and greed for players to choose if they intend the gear for these purposes - this will allow CC users to roll against each other without competing with the guy who wants to sell the gear for credits.

I don't have a timeline on this for you guys right now, though - certainly not in the next major patch. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed. In the meantime, I'll work on getting this feature in the works.
Excellent!

Sparckus
02.15.2012 , 05:07 PM | #787

Thanks

Alaron
02.15.2012 , 06:04 PM | #788

In this vein, I think that some additional filters should be added on vendors. Right now, if I select useable, it still lists every item on the vendor (I assume since at least one of my companions can use it). This is either bugged, or not a particularly useful filter.

Dirtybomb
02.15.2012 , 06:06 PM | #789
Quote: Originally Posted by face_hindu View Post
EDIT: I realize that my original post is unnecessarily confrontational, and has ignited a pointless debate, so I will re-state the original (which follows below).
If the debate is about a video game, it is already pointless

IIII-IIII-IIII
02.15.2012 , 06:06 PM | #790
If they add a cross-server LFG system, I see no reason NOT to roll need on anything my companion will use.

If there is no community, there is no community.

PuG Life.
Operative Iron Citadel
Infiltration, Manipulation, Assassination