Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any Actual females not female characters play this game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Any Actual females not female characters play this game?

StingerRogue
01.15.2012 , 10:57 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Tom_Joad View Post
As a male, I ONLY play female characters in the game. Why? Well why would I want to spend god knows how many hours staring male toon when I could be doing the exact same thing with a female toon?

Hell, half of my guild, who are males, play female toons for the same reason.

So why would it be weird at all if a female played a male toon?

However, the better question would be, why should anyone care what gender the player is? And if you do care, I can pretty much guarantee that you are a sexist piece of ****.
Typical response. The truth will free you.

Miyi
01.15.2012 , 10:59 AM | #22
The OP has caused me to start a project.

http://www.jeweldaab.com/post/158894...gaming-genders

KrystiK
01.15.2012 , 11:03 AM | #23
<--female too. I also agree with alot of the posts here on why we dont make ourselves known all the time. For instance anytime I join a guild, I brace for that first "vent" use and all the "omgz your a girl/omgz your voice is sexys/etc", like who cares, Im here to play a game, not cyberz

Jansom
01.15.2012 , 11:03 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Miyi View Post
I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
^^ This.

Plus the old standby, MMORPG = Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

Gestahlt
01.15.2012 , 11:07 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Jesterhexes View Post
So i had this problem when i ployed lotro that i could never find any girls that played the game, i mean my entire guild on lotro are boys, the entire guild on here are boys... is there no other girl on the face of the planet that plays swtor on my server (Telos Restoration Project) I feel so alone... not to mention that boys who have girl characters are kinda weird... on lotro i had a male character and i had to delete him because it was to weird lol...a not that i care but its kinda dissapointed when you think your talking to a girl and it turns out tht the person behind the character is a dude,,nywayz just wondering, no need to get in a hater mood i was just asking

From this post, I have to wonder why either sex would find conversation with you intellectually stimulating.

Sverina
01.15.2012 , 11:20 AM | #26
I'm a female. I'm really surprised that female gamers still feel the need to hide their gender because of bias. I thought we were beyond that. Although, I do remember back in the day when a lot guilds wouldn't accept female players at all, and there was a lot of gender discrimination. Maye because I actively seek out players and guilds who don't support this type of atmosphere I don't see it.

Ladies, keep playing. And while I agree that a person's gender should have no influence on how they're treated in game, I know that real life isn't fair, you still have to pick those you associate with.

Side note: I've seen the female players who take advantage of the fact that they are female in game and it makes the rest of us look bad. But there are just as many d-bag guys in game doing the same thing.
"You are not the son of the emperor who was turned into a vampire and given metal skin that shoots death beams out of it." ~Chiltonium

Slaign
01.15.2012 , 11:24 AM | #27
As a guy that plays female characters, I wanted to reply to this thread because I wanted to at least try to shine some light on this "it's weird for a man to play a woman" business. I know it won't help in the broad sense, gender bias will always exist, and people will always put undo attention on it, but hopefully I can illuminate the issue for at least some people.

First of all, I'd like to clarify one thing: Playing as a female does NOT in ANY way mean I want to be a female. I am thoroughly confident in and satisfied with my gender. It is ignorant to assume that just because I play a female in game, that I want to be a female in real life. Playing a Twi'lek in Star Wars or a Tauren in WoW doesn't mean I want to be an alien or cow in real life. All of these things are merely interesting aspects of a role to play, or even more likely, merely aesthetic choices.

I'd like to go on to clarify the issue of men playing women being perceived as piggish. This perception is not without merit. Look back in this thread. Already, people have replied with the standard "I made a female because I'd rather stare at a female ***." To a lot of women, this comes off very piggish. I can already hear the thoughts of "Oh my god, is sex all men ever think about?"

Let me be frank, this attitude accounts for a lot of men playing as women. It's a desire to control and dress up a sexy looking female avatar however they like. But very often, that's not all there is to it. This excuse may sound piggish to you, but many men throw it out there as the first excuse because it's the only one that other men will accept. If you say something like "I just find women more interesting than men," most of the time, the type of person who would question you on it in the first place will reply with "LOL you freak you wanna be a girl."

So, lets be honest and clear: A big reason why many men create female characters is the same reason Lara Croft is popular. These characters are sexy. But lets not judge all these men just because of that. It's not fair. First of all, it's perfectly valid to enjoy physical attractiveness. Certainly it can be taken to far, and it is shallow if it's all you care about, but it's a perfectly valid aspect of creating a character. Aesthetics will always weigh in. If you make a character of the gender you aren't attracted to, looking "cool" will likely be your criteria. It follows that creating a character of the gender you are attracted to, "attractive" will be a criteria.

Now, with that out of the way, I'd like to state personally, and I'm sure others feel this way too, that the sexual aspect of it is actually a fairly small aspect of the choice to roll a female character. For me, it mostly boils down to the idea that female characters are more interesting. Maybe that comes from the fact that as a man, masculine characteristics have little mystery to me. It's more interesting and engaging for me to play a female character.

Further, with a female character I feel more comfortable playing with the full range of masculine and feminine character qualities. I can play a strong female character who can be either no nonsense tough or coy and flirty as the situation demands. I find it harder to do this with male characters, and I acknowledge that is biased, but that's how it is for me.

Beyond personality choices, I also just like the female form more for aesthetic but not necessarily sexual reasons. For example, I tend to create characters that are lithe and agile, and I think the female form fits this archetype better. Especially in other games where the male models are bulky and huge. Fortunately TOR gives us options for smaller men as well, but the male form still doesn't pull off petite as well, aesthetically, in my opinion.

Lastly, I'd like to address the issue of people calling men who play characters who are female "weird" of "freaks" based on the idea that they want to be female. Who are you to judge them even if that is how they feel? I'm not transgender, nor do I know any TG people personally, but I find it sad how closed many people's minds are. What are these people hurting you? So what if they do identify as the opposite gender? Gender roles and expectations in our society have very little to do with a person's actual sex and very much to do with decades of ingrained expectations. Who are you to judge someone just because they identify as the opposite gender? It's no different than someone calling you a loser because you enjoy nerdy things like MMOs. You don't have to like or agree with everyone, but to call someone names because of their personality is rude, intolerant, and wrong.

Kashemia
01.15.2012 , 12:07 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Miyi View Post
The OP has caused me to start a project.

http://www.jeweldaab.com/post/158894...gaming-genders

Hehe, I think that's a fun idea, and I might try doing the same. I don't really feel the need to correct a random person calling me "dude" or "he" when we run ONE instance together, but in stuff like Guilds, etc, I usually like to know people a bit deeper, and knowing whether to call them he or she is usually nice :P It just sucks that some girls feel they have to hide it, it really shouldn't be that way.

SerenApGwaila
01.15.2012 , 12:43 PM | #29
<--- also female, and I don't hide the fact in game that I am, but I also don't bring it up or correct people if I am referred to as male - just doesn't seem any point really!

Anyone in game that knows I am female has usually learnt the fact because my husband and I have been in a group together and something has been said just generally chatting that might mention it.

I am fortunately that I have never really had any bother from anyone, and I ambig enough to put it down to a just few minority idiots when I have

I will say that when I started gaming 10 years ago with my husband it was kinda weird watching him as a female character (anything you want to tell me honey?) ! ... but then I realised that quite often the male toons look like ****! 10 years on and I am use to it and he hasn't started wearing my dresses or heels at home so I guess its safe

Jaidyn_Kraden
01.15.2012 , 12:45 PM | #30
Yep. 100% woman here.
VANGUARD OF JUSTICE
A Singular SW RP Experience - New Members Welcome
~ Republic | RP | Crafting | PvE | PvP ~