Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why this game needs more Looking For Group support

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Why this game needs more Looking For Group support

Falkelord's Avatar


Falkelord
01.15.2012 , 06:55 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Introvertus View Post
But the people who hate the idea of LFG support will probably argue "my groups never fail, I'm so great, you're a noob, go back to wow" - which is apparently the best argument for not having a LFG tool.
This wasn't even the point of my argument but thank you for the constructive response.

Quote: Originally Posted by Introvertus View Post
Why don't they know how to play their class? Because they never had the opportunity to practice in a group. First time tanks in Hard Mode have a tough time learning how to do it, especially when you consider that a lot of players are Star Wars fans, not MMO players.
If people aren't learning their classes as they level, that's a client-side problem, not something Bioware can fix. An LFG tool will not help you learn your class any more than leveling your class will help you learn it.

If you pick a Juggernaut, you are told the following:
1) You can tank, or DPS.
2) Your talent trees reflect this
3) So do your skills

People that don't take times to read tooltips and learn which skills affect other skills to maximize their class are the problem, not the lack of access to flashpoints at low levels.
http://mrlizard.com/rants/why-havent...ixed-this-bug/

Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

thecoffeecup's Avatar


thecoffeecup
01.15.2012 , 06:58 AM | #42
Alcarinn: That's good for you. On my server, you don't get a flashpoint group within minutes. You can spend hours looking and all you'll find is that one DPS who wants to be in your group but doesn't want to help you look for others. This is in prime time.

You can try to blame me, but asking politely doesn't seem like a bad way to start a group to me. Sometimes I see others trying to find a group as well, and often that same person will spend absolutely ages trying to find even that last DPS.

I'm thinking the only way to solve the problem is to move to a higher population server. But the population is pretty unpredictable these days, so I don't really know if that's wise after all.

Introvertus's Avatar


Introvertus
01.15.2012 , 07:16 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Falkelord View Post
If people aren't learning their classes as they level, that's a client-side problem, not something Bioware can fix. An LFG tool will not help you learn your class any more than leveling your class will help you learn it.

If you pick a Juggernaut, you are told the following:
1) You can tank, or DPS.
2) Your talent trees reflect this
3) So do your skills

People that don't take times to read tooltips and learn which skills affect other skills to maximize their class are the problem, not the lack of access to flashpoints at low levels.
You're right - and yet tooltips only go so far. Do you disagree that someone who has not played an MMO before will know absolutely everything they need to know in order to do Flash points when they reach 50. Do you also disagree that even if this person does find a group, he/she will never be met with hatred and impatience from other players that might cause them to lose interest or passion for finding groups. It might make them want to learn their class more - but where do you go to practice? That's my argument.

Let's just assume that in spite of everything, you acknowledge that there is indeed a Lack of easy access to flashpoints for levels 30 - 45 say. Many would argue this period is the time where one really learns their character and decides how they intend to play it. If you can't get groups to practice and learn how others play, then you will fail in hard mode. No matter how good you are or how quickly you pick it up.
In The End, There Can Be Only One

TydusX's Avatar


TydusX
01.15.2012 , 07:21 AM | #44
I think there needs to be a sticky made on how to use the /who system cause half to all of what is being asked for can be done with this system you just need to do some typeing. Well that and ppl need to actually use it
If a woman asks for something that will go 0 to 200 in 3 seconds,
Get her a scale...

Introvertus's Avatar


Introvertus
01.15.2012 , 07:23 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by TydusX View Post
I think there needs to be a sticky made on how to use the /who system cause half to all of what is being asked for can be done with this system you just need to do some typeing. Well that and ppl need to actually use it
Fair point. I just think the system needs to be changed so that it's easier and more accessible for everyone to use.
In The End, There Can Be Only One

Falkelord's Avatar


Falkelord
01.15.2012 , 07:24 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Introvertus View Post
You're right - and yet tooltips only go so far. Do you disagree that someone who has not played an MMO before will know absolutely everything they need to know in order to do Flash points when they reach 50. Do you also disagree that even if this person does find a group, he/she will never be met with hatred and impatience from other players that might cause them to lose interest or passion for finding groups. It might make them want to learn their class more - but where do you go to practice? That's my argument.

Let's just assume that in spite of everything, you acknowledge that there is indeed a Lack of easy access to flashpoints for levels 30 - 45 say. Many would argue this period is the time where one really learns their character and decides how they intend to play it. If you can't get groups to practice and learn how others play, then you will fail in hard mode. No matter how good you are or how quickly you pick it up.
I've tanked my entire MMO life. And yet I found myself getting used to an entire new style of tanking here. One where I don't have a whole lot of AOE aggro grabbing abilities as a Juggernaut. I took the time to read my tooltips, learn my skill interactions, and I did all that leveling 1-50.

I did the occasional flashpoint, and didn't have too hard a time because I knew what skills to use.

My point here is that even though I'm a well-versed tank, I had to re-learn this game's mechanics. A new person starting for their first MMO is in the same boat, having to learn the game's mechanics. They can do this too, by, surprise, reading their tooltips and doing their homework. If you want to play the game, you mash buttons. If you want to enjoy the game, you learn your skills.

Simple as that. What is the entire 1-50 leveling grind but a practice for the big stage? As a tank, you're making your healing companion heal you while you keep the mobs off them. As a healer, you make your tank companion not die while they do the dirty work. DPS, same thing.

That's what you're supposed to do while you level 1-50. You're supposed to learn your skills and use them. You don't need a group setting to do this, although it helps. Hell, I haven't seen the inside of Colicoid War Games or Black Talon, but I've watched videos on tanking the HMs, and learned the dungeon layouts so that I'll be familiar with them when I do have to do them.

A LFG tool won't help you learn your class any faster than good old fashioned work. In fact, it'll make it harder because people that THINK they know what they're doing will hop in queue and **** everyone else that knows what they're doing. I just don't think predicating your argument on the fact that it makes it easier for the new/unfamiliar MMO crowd holds a lot of weight because the mechanics to learn the game are already included in the box.
http://mrlizard.com/rants/why-havent...ixed-this-bug/

Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

thecoffeecup's Avatar


thecoffeecup
01.15.2012 , 07:29 AM | #47
Doing singleplayer questing won't prepare you for group play. It won't make you a better raider. For example, it isn't hard keeping aggro from your companion because they are extremely predictable and less powerful than a real player who has any idea about DPS. You also won't learn how to successfully navigate boss mechanics because questing mobs don't do anything seriously painful.

The best way to learn that while leveling is to do flashpoints and heroics. If a tool will help you find groups, then you have more opportunities to learn while leveling, and you have an easier time finding groups at 50. I don't really know what anybody will lose if such a tool is implemented. But I have a pretty good idea what we'll gain.

Falkelord's Avatar


Falkelord
01.15.2012 , 07:33 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by thecoffeecup View Post
Doing singleplayer questing won't prepare you for group play. It won't make you a better raider.

The best way to learn that while leveling is to do flashpoints and heroics.
The best way for an actor to learn is not by being cast into a production of "Les Miserables" the very first time he acts. You get that by practicing your skills and honing them. On your own. But by your logic, this isn't the case.

You can give a brand new player a level 50 and tell him to run a FP, and he probably won't be any good. You let that same player learn from level 1 the entire ins and outs of his skills, and you can bet they'll be good at their role.

If you don't know the difference between the taunt button and the button that activates your fleet pass, a LFG tool will not help you find that. You do that on your own. The game can't just help you do everything.
http://mrlizard.com/rants/why-havent...ixed-this-bug/

Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Alcarinn's Avatar


Alcarinn
01.15.2012 , 07:34 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by thecoffeecup View Post
Alcarinn: That's good for you. On my server, you don't get a flashpoint group within minutes. You can spend hours looking and all you'll find is that one DPS who wants to be in your group but doesn't want to help you look for others. This is in prime time.

You can try to blame me, but asking politely doesn't seem like a bad way to start a group to me. Sometimes I see others trying to find a group as well, and often that same person will spend absolutely ages trying to find even that last DPS.

I'm thinking the only way to solve the problem is to move to a higher population server. But the population is pretty unpredictable these days, so I don't really know if that's wise after all.

Well i see 2 ways... ill look from the point of objective side...

1. a person either wants to do flashpoint since he/she wants to see the story in it
2. a person wants to do flashpoint because he/she wants the experience/loot

If its 1. then you can do solo everything for story at lvl 50(well most the 50s one youll get groups

If its 2. then you are better off lvling with class story and on planets for faster XP

The game is created to be able to be palyed without doing any group quest and reach lvl 50 and then do all group quests... so i really see no good reason to cry over this.

I know it sucks but to let all know i am on The Red Eclipse server and we have no problem with none-english communication in our general(sometimes it happens but extremely rarely)

There are LFG or LFM for Esseles, Hammer Station, Athiss, Taral V, Maelstrom and now Cademimu War Game is poping out also frequently every day after 5 pm CET...

We have 150+ on rep fleet every afternoon and tons of good guilds on both sides.

So no problem at all.

thecoffeecup's Avatar


thecoffeecup
01.15.2012 , 07:43 AM | #50
And that was my point. I need a different server I think. I've never seen anything even close to 100 players in fleet. Close to 70 was probably the most I've ever seen, and that was a while ago. Planets often have less than 20 people.

I think when populations are this low, we should be looking at server merges or transfers.

Still, a better LFG tool would help, and I don't see how it would hurt if it isn't cross-server.