Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware: Allow Advanced Class Respec!

Dunzo
01.13.2012 , 02:49 PM | #1
Bioware,

Please allow Advanced Class Respec. There's no reason for this, give players the choice! If you're worried it will hurt your story or something - don't. You don't seem to care you send Jedi to go slaughter hundreds of Sand People, so why care about something that is needlessly restricting players?

Thanks!

THINGS TO CONSIDER:

1. An Advanced Class is separate from a Class in SWTOR. Support: http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes
2. Players deserve freedom, especially when it doesn't effect you in any way.
3. Given the same choices, a player's story, companions and ship is exactly the same regardless of your AC.
4. Just because you enjoy making 16 alts doesn't mean the player next to you does.
5. There's many legitimate reasons why a player at any level might need to respec AC's. It does not mean they are lazy/stupid.

ALSO:

Links showing Bioware has supported this idea...

WATCH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...OmWk47c#t=316s

Thanks to Salzwasser for the link.

...and more recently, read: http://torwars.com/2011/12/01/stephe...***-switching/

POLL HERE: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p...e1b0e46168c294

Noviru
01.14.2012 , 05:13 PM | #2
Hello everyone!

We have recreated this topic since the previous version has exceded our post threshold. Please use this new thread to continue the discussion. A reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:
  • Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.
Thank you for understanding.

Lethality
01.14.2012 , 05:18 PM | #3
In traditional MMOs, classes are defined by a set of conditions and constraints assigned to a given character. These classes are differentiated by the ability to:
  • wield different weapons
  • wear different armor
  • use different abilities
  • perform different roles

All of these attributes are found in the Advanced Class system of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

In Star Wars: The Old Republic:
  • Advanced Classes = Classes
  • Classes = Stories

As soon as you understand and more importantly accept this fact, you'll be better off.

If you rolled a warrior in another game and wanted to be a mage instead, you wouldn't be allowed to switch.

Advanced classes ARE classes in TOR.

No switching!

Daniel Erickson on Advanced Classes being a full class:

Quote: Originally Posted by DanielErickson
Inside each one of those, we treated those as a full class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Vvt5K-0ME#t=05m25s
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

Gunryu
01.14.2012 , 05:18 PM | #4
From their own website

Quote:
When you create a character, you'll be presented with several species and class options. Are you a Jedi Knight? An impetuous Smuggler? A deadly Sith Inquisitor? Learn more about the eight classes you can choose (and their Advanced Classes) in the Classes section of the site.
Quote:
Advanced Classes offer an additional level of customization to your character. Once you've reached a certain level, you'll select your Advanced Class, which determines some of your specialized abilities and what role your character plays in a group. Learn more about Advanced Classes on our Advanced Classes systems page.
In other words............Advanced Classes are just additional customization for your class they are now a new class!
You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new. - Steve Jobs

zolthie
01.14.2012 , 05:19 PM | #5
No, it will never happen.

Seifz
01.14.2012 , 05:20 PM | #6
There's a reason that Blizzard hasn't offered a "class change" service in WoW, even though they offer faction change, realm change, race change, name change, and appearance change services.

I'd apply the same logic to this game. If you want to play a Guardian, level one. If you want to play a Sentinel, level one. Etc.

MorgiTheHallowed
01.14.2012 , 05:21 PM | #7
no. advanced class is a class. If you allow switching between them then you might as well allow people to switch to an entirely new class because thats what you are asking for.

SaintAvalon
01.14.2012 , 05:22 PM | #8
No. I don't want to be able to switch a meaningful choice.

Don't give into the ones that can't see they don't like something and want to go to something else. Do what the rest did and level it up.

Giving into the people that want this type of change (the "we pay so we deserve everything") is what destroy's mmo's.

HKFortyEight
01.14.2012 , 05:22 PM | #9
Just from the last one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redorbz
If that was a proper english sentence I might undertstand what you just trued to say.

All I got from this is that your making the wsame tired argument I asked you not to refrain.

Im looking for reasons other than the class vs subclass argument and other than QQ. Your post is the opposite.

But since you mention it ...

I had a quest at level 10 as a Bounty Hunter. It directed me to two Bounty hunters on the empire fleet. Theres a voice-over dialogue where they both state they are Bounty hunters. One expresses how he likes to use big armor and shields and the other guys states his preference. Then they say something like "whichever way you go its up to you, youll be a good bounty hunter either way"

They also tell you that it is permanent. I'll ask you give a reason besides 'I want to' for infinite AC Respecing.

In my last post I just used the logic that you used. Because it is a choice and people don't have to use it then why shouldn't it be in game; next people will be asking for an option to roll lvl 50 right from the start
Do you like bananas?

Savish
01.14.2012 , 05:26 PM | #10
I plan on lvling an operative and sniper to 50, they are entirely different classes with entirely different play styles and if Bioware ever starts allowing AC/Race/Side respec/changes I will cancel choices should matter.