Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

*LAME* Names

Tayanah
01.16.2012 , 01:12 AM | #21
Right now I'd imagine Bioware has more pressing concerns given the fact this game is so new. If I remember correctly WoW had the same issue until 4-6 months after it came out and the GMs cracked down hard on it.

Pretty sure once the major issues CSR is having to deal with are dealt with, they'll crack down on the stupid names and those people will either be forced to change their name, or CSR will change it for them giving them a name the player really hates.

Also you'll find the people with retarded names don't generally stick around for very long. Its a phase every new MMO or MMO expansion goes through.

All you can do for the moment is ignore them, don't help them, kill them when ever you can, and troll them whenever possible. :P

acheros
01.16.2012 , 01:57 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by loctavius View Post
Not being over-anything. Stealing from canon should not be allowed. Period.
Its not..

SelinaH
01.16.2012 , 03:57 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalfear View Post
I agree with you fully but it wont matter!

Your on a PVE server and asking for name moderation

Im on 2 RP servers and asking for the same thing and get ******ed when ever I do ask.
You're continually asking for additional and more restrictive rules to naming.

The OP seems to be asking for better rules enforcement for names that already violate current policy, specifically the infringement of intellectual property rights regarding the SW canon. I agree that moderation in this area is pretty poor right now, but I think much of it is simply a function of Support being utterly swamped with requests. Names my gaming group and I have reported for various violations do get removed... eventually.

Give it some time.

SeanTNL
01.16.2012 , 05:17 AM | #24
I have a Jedi Knight called Bation. And I'm proud!

Antinoobkiller
01.16.2012 , 05:31 AM | #25
this most be the worst QQ thread ever. I cant belieave ppl care so much what other ppl name their charachter, rly !? didnt even know such ppl existed.

I dont care for a second what the characters are named, for the fact i find it funny to see what names ppl can come up with.

Since regard

Antinoobkiller

Raynn
01.16.2012 , 05:43 AM | #26
I just tend to be a little wary of said individuals. You can name your toon whatever you want, but taking a name already made popular in SW lore kind of shows a lack of imagination. Sometimes that lack of imagination carries over into how you play your avatar (aka you die in fire). It's not true all the time, but it's happened enough to make me cautious.

I could see how this could be disruptive on an RP server. Don't RP myself, but I don't discourage those that do. And I could see how having someone named BoobaFett crashing your party could be a bit disruptive.

On a side note, Solo as a last name isn't to crazy. Han had to come from some where.

Amonette
01.16.2012 , 06:19 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by loctavius View Post
This is an open letter from a group of members on the Keller's Void server to the members of that community, the SW:TOR devs, and Bioware in general.

Although Keller's Void is not an RP server, we are noticing a trend of people appropriating names from Star Wars canon for their personal use. Examples include one player who has selected "Solo" as his/her legacy name, another player named "Starkiller", a guild that calls itself "The Jedi Order", and people who are putting "Darth" in their name. (They don't have the title "Darth", they are naming their characters "DarthName" at creation.) These are just a few of the more egregious examples.

We believe that players should basically have a right to name their characters and guilds as they wish. However, we also believe that Star Wars canon should be protected and supported, and should not be open to use or abuse by players or guilds under any circumstances for many reasons.

We call upon the devs, CSR's and Bioware in general to help stamp out this practice by enforcing name changes on players and guilds who steal from canon. We call upon our fellow players to use their imagination and try to come up with your own names. Taking from canon ruins immersion. Although we are not a RP server, most of us from time to time enjoy throwing ourselves into the storyline.

If you agree with us, please sign on below and let's send a message asking for Bioware to help correct this and block future attempts by players and guilds to use canon names.

Thank you.
Lol you're serious? Ever heard of a sense of humour? Seriously if you actually have time to waste on crap like this I weep for the future. Get some perspective on what is important in life. Also what gives you the right to tell other people what they can call their characters? Why is your opinion more valid than there's? BioWare does not care about your point of view. They have much more important things to worry about that pedants telling others what to do.

Xontier
01.16.2012 , 07:39 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Amonette View Post
Lol you're serious? Ever heard of a sense of humour? Seriously if you actually have time to waste on crap like this I weep for the future. Get some perspective on what is important in life. Also what gives you the right to tell other people what they can call their characters? Why is your opinion more valid than there's? BioWare does not care about your point of view. They have much more important things to worry about that pedants telling others what to do.
Umm, ever hear of RPers? While I personally don't care as long as "DarthFlower" isn't bugging me, a lot of RPers get turned off by seeing such a person bunny hopping around the cantina when they're trying to enjoy their form of entertainment.

So yeah, not having to stare at DarthTinkles, Darth Flower, Bubba'fatt, Nightmaremoon Ofequestaria, etc. can be important to an RPer from their perspective. And yes, those are names I have seen on my ROLEPLAYING server.

And what gives them the right of saying what others can name their characters? I turn thee to the ToS which states: (which, by the way, if you're playing the game you are AGREEING TO FULLY AND WITHOUT COMPROMISE, whether or not you read it, or even disagree with it).

Quote:
Naming Policy
When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.
I rest my case.

Quote:
They have much more important things to worry about that pedants telling others what to do.
Like what? This is the JOB of the GMs to enforce the rules their ToS set. Sure, they get tickets of bugs and people getting stuck, but breaking the rules should be enforced no matter what.
Level 50: Sniper, Operative, Powertech.

Vandrel-Blitz
01.16.2012 , 08:05 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by HGHLNDR View Post
Dumb idea, and you're really anal. People pay $$$ to play the game, they should be able, at least, name themselves to whatever they want, or be as corny as they want.
Which is why we now see people running around with characters called "bigtits", "monkeyballs", "rapeape", "donkeydik", "carebear", "lawlz", "haxorz", etc etc etc etc

And let's not forget silly guild names either. It's funny at times but really it's getting old.
Electric Mayhem (click for more details)
SWTOR - The Shadowlands - US East - PVE - Empire Guild

Amonette
01.16.2012 , 08:17 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Xontier View Post
Umm, ever hear of RPers? While I personally don't care as long as "DarthFlower" isn't bugging me, a lot of RPers get turned off by seeing such a person bunny hopping around the cantina when they're trying to enjoy their form of entertainment.

So yeah, not having to stare at DarthTinkles, Darth Flower, Bubba'fatt, Nightmaremoon Ofequestaria, etc. can be important to an RPer from their perspective. And yes, those are names I have seen on my ROLEPLAYING server.

And what gives them the right of saying what others can name their characters? I turn thee to the ToS which states: (which, by the way, if you're playing the game you are AGREEING TO FULLY AND WITHOUT COMPROMISE, whether or not you read it, or even disagree with it).

I rest my case.

Like what? This is the JOB of the GMs to enforce the rules their ToS set. Sure, they get tickets of bugs and people getting stuck, but breaking the rules should be enforced no matter what.
Whgat a load of hot air. Bear in mind that MMOs are not made for RPers, and there are plenty of RPers who are happy to do their thing without being total Hitlars and telling people what to do. It is, in fact, people with this kind of attitude that give RPers a bad name. Who are you to say they don't have a backstory to that name? What gives you the right to comment on *their* RP? You seem to think your immersion is more important than that of the next person.
finally which is more important - BioWare wasting their time pandering to pedants like you or BioWare continuing to fix bugs and provide new content? WHich do you think everyone else think s is a better use of their time?