*LAME* Names

loctavius

This is an open letter from a group of members on the Keller's Void server to the members of that community, the SW:TOR devs, and Bioware in general.

Although Keller's Void is not an RP server, we are noticing a trend of people appropriating names from Star Wars canon for their personal use. Examples include one player who has selected "Solo" as his/her legacy name, another player named "Starkiller", a guild that calls itself "The Jedi Order", and people who are putting "Darth" in their name. (They don't have the title "Darth", they are naming their characters "DarthName" at creation.) These are just a few of the more egregious examples.

We believe that players should basically have a right to name their characters and guilds as they wish. However, we also believe that Star Wars canon should be protected and supported, and should not be open to use or abuse by players or guilds under any circumstances for many reasons.

We call upon the devs, CSR's and Bioware in general to help stamp out this practice by enforcing name changes on players and guilds who steal from canon. We call upon our fellow players to use their imagination and try to come up with your own names. Taking from canon ruins immersion. Although we are not a RP server, most of us from time to time enjoy throwing ourselves into the storyline.

If you agree with us, please sign on below and let's send a message asking for Bioware to help correct this and block future attempts by players and guilds to use canon names.

Thank you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being over-anything. Stealing from canon should not be allowed. Period.

Why don't you save them some work, and go through the names of every character in every star wars book ever written and provide them a nice handy list.

I bet that wouldn't take you a couple of years or anything.

Relax, your standards of what is and what is not acceptible is your opinion and thats all. You have no right to decide what is or isn't right for someone else. Those dorks who name themselves darthname or mastername are just going to go through their chars life looking like a fool, and to me that is punishment enough.

anyone else tempted to just run rampant with canon based names even make them cross faction? darthyoda? luke fett? grandmoffcalrissian?

it might be a tad unorigional to call your toon obi'won or hans'solo etc but i dont think an intervention of that magnitude or any magnitude is required.

don't worry, be happy and remember every time you moan about a toons name there's kids dying in africa who cant even play kinda puts things in persepective i'd say

I had someone named "Mrlukesywalk", unsure if it ended with the -er or not, maybe it did.

I just chain killed him as he was separate faction.

If he was same faction I'd PST him trivia on his character and show him how little he knows and make him cry.

To each their own. Deal with the names or do something about it, your call.

Its hard spot for BW to be in especially with so many issue still prevalent. I'm sure policy states that this is unacceptable, but I'm guessing atm enforcement is not really possible. I agree with the OP that these names are kind of lame to see around the galaxy, but in the same token I'm really don't sweat it and let it go. Now if one of my guildmates or friends came up with something like this, then I would say something (and I know my gmates would say the same to me if I went that route)

OP best just to leave it alone. Its out of your Circle of Influence, unless you can truly do something (other than reporting), if you can't do anything then I'd suggest you move it out of your Circle of Concern.

We believe that players should basically have a right to name their characters and guilds as they wish. However, we also believe that Star Wars canon should be protected and supported, and should not be open to use or abuse by players or guilds under any circumstances for many reasons.

We call upon the devs, CSR's and Bioware in general to help stamp out this practice by enforcing name changes on players and guilds who steal from canon. We call upon our fellow players to use their imagination and try to come up with your own names. Taking from canon ruins immersion. Although we are not a RP server, most of us from time to time enjoy throwing ourselves into the storyline.

Dumb idea, and you're really anal. People pay $$$ to play the game, they should be able, at least, name themselves to whatever they want, or be as corny as they want.

Why don't you save them some work, and go through the names of every character in every star wars book ever written and provide them a nice handy list.

I bet that wouldn't take you a couple of years or anything.

Relax, your standards of what is and what is not acceptible is your opinion and thats all. You have no right to decide what is or isn't right for someone else. Those dorks who name themselves darthname or mastername are just going to go through their chars life looking like a fool, and to me that is punishment enough.

Wookieepedia. Maybe an hour at worst

I'm more bothered by names that aren't names at all. Like Comfychair or Teapot, the kind of names someone who completely lacks imagination would use. I'm also annoyed by names that appear in other games, like Satharion, Ragnarios and such - adding one letter to them won't disguise it.

Whenever I make a character I try to think of something parents would plausibly name their baby in the universe I'm playing in. A Twi'lek mother wouldn't call her son MikeSmith...

If you agree with us, please sign on below and let's send a message asking for Bioware to help correct this and block future attempts by players and guilds to use canon names.

Thank you.

I agree with you fully but it wont matter!

Your on a PVE server and asking for name moderation

Im on 2 RP servers and asking for the same thing and get ******ed when ever I do ask.

If RP Server people cant get names moderated (and ALLOT have asked), dont think you got much hope of a PVE server getting moderated.

Best we can hope is once the bad and stupid names are done looking for attention, they quit and head back to WOW. Cant tell you how much Im looking forward to the 20th of this month. I figure many (not all of course but many) of the dumb names will cancel accounts rather then pay a monthly charge and all servers will get a bit more mature and better.

Other thing you can do to avoid the majority of the bad names (again not all but a good portion of them) is before 11 pm local server time, play a character thats in Tatooine or higher level planet.

Thats what I been doing to improve my game experience.

Before 11pm I play the medium and high level game and after 11 pm I then play my lower level characters.

While not a exact science it does seem to be that MOST of the dumb named people (and the chat idiots that talk about stuff most dont want to hear about) dont level past Nar Shaddaa. Many dont even make it that far. And most of them have bed times and you rarely see any of them past 9 pm (but I say wait till 11 to be sure). Figure why give them the attention they desire so much by creating names they know will get a responce. Thats all their doing! Looking for responces.

Ignore the bad names (literally put on ignore)

Play at times they very unlikely to play at

Play on planets they very unlikely to reach even when they are playing

That seems to be about all we can do as Bioware honestly hasnt shown any interest in doing and quality control regarding names.

Your right, Established Star Wars and other works names should be off limits on all servers.

On RP servers there should be a even stricter nameing policy to promote immersion and enviroment

but thats doesnt seem to be a pressing issue with Bioware so what ever. Nothing we can do but speak with our dollars.

I like this game so I not cancelling personally.

As for other Bioware titles,

Well lets just say it will be a cold day in hell :)

Right now I'd imagine Bioware has more pressing concerns given the fact this game is so new. If I remember correctly WoW had the same issue until 4-6 months after it came out and the GMs cracked down hard on it.

Pretty sure once the major issues CSR is having to deal with are dealt with, they'll crack down on the stupid names and those people will either be forced to change their name, or CSR will change it for them giving them a name the player really hates.

Also you'll find the people with retarded names don't generally stick around for very long. Its a phase every new MMO or MMO expansion goes through.

All you can do for the moment is ignore them, don't help them, kill them when ever you can, and troll them whenever possible. :p

I agree with you fully but it wont matter!

Your on a PVE server and asking for name moderation

Im on 2 RP servers and asking for the same thing and get ******ed when ever I do ask.

You're continually asking for additional and more restrictive rules to naming.

The OP seems to be asking for better rules enforcement for names that already violate current policy, specifically the infringement of intellectual property rights regarding the SW canon. I agree that moderation in this area is pretty poor right now, but I think much of it is simply a function of Support being utterly swamped with requests. Names my gaming group and I have reported for various violations do get removed... eventually.

Give it some time.

this most be the worst QQ thread ever. I cant belieave ppl care so much what other ppl name their charachter, rly !? didnt even know such ppl existed.

I dont care for a second what the characters are named, for the fact i find it funny to see what names ppl can come up with.

Since regard

Antinoobkiller