Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Disappearing Act

Maarkean
01.14.2012 , 02:18 PM | #1
I've started to think Disappearing Act is a useless skill. Because DOT's break stealth and prevent me from dropping from combat, in the last few levels (currently 40, Scoundrel) I've never had a time where I needed to use and it actually did what it was supposed to do.

For instance, if I get overwhelmed in a fight (or phone rings and want to answer it while not playing the game) I'll hit Disappearing Act but combat does not end. A few seconds later, my stealth breaks (presumably from the dozen DOT's I have on me) and the NPC's return. Clearing the DOT's before stealthing does not usually work (either there DOT's I can't clear or there are 4+ DOT's on me, or they are reapplied instantly).

Is this a bug or bad game design?
"Once more unto the breech, dear friends. Once more."
Aristeia: Revolutionary Right
Republic Sentinels

RadioheadXXX
01.14.2012 , 02:42 PM | #2
Try popping Dodge immediately before or after you hit disappearing act (it doesn't break stealth). I try to do it immediately after cause Dodge isn't on the global cool down timer, but you have to hit it before another dot tick obviously. As a scoundrel, the lucky dodge skill removes all hostile effects.

I find this works pretty well, but still not all the time.

Quesadilla
01.14.2012 , 05:49 PM | #3
I've yet to play a game where this mechanic worked correctly, ever. Here in this game, sometimes I will pop it and go into stealth but remain in combat, and nothing comes to attack me until I get out of stealth, however far away I may be. Other times mobs don't even stop attacking me, and quite frankly it is a little irritating.

On a side note, I'm not 100% certain because it hasn't happened recently, but I do believe that any dots or anyone who finishes an induction attack on you after you Disappearing Act/Force Cloak immediately pops you out again. The 3 seconds of stealth should be guaranteed 3 seconds, not only if you don't take any damage.

Rahl_Windsong
01.14.2012 , 08:09 PM | #4
Also it really helps if you leave your companion to take care of things and you start moving away from the agro so that when you activate DA you don't get uncovered right away. I find it one of my most useful skills you just have to use it right.
Captain El'amber Level 48.5 Scoundrel
Cipher Agent El'ember Level 42 Operative
Lord El'zara Level 40 Sorceress

Saviorofcamelot
01.14.2012 , 11:28 PM | #5
I just started doing a lot of PVP and I immediately noticed that this ability is 50-50.

If I pop it after I get attacked it normally gets undone really quickly due to a DoT. If I see the danger coming and pop it before they get to me it always lets me get away...

It should work 100% of the time but the only time is actually works 100% is when you pop it before you actually get attacked.
Kamikazi - 40+ Scoundrel Healer - The Courageous
Kamikazi - 50 Sage Healer- Jedi Covenant

Aetou
01.15.2012 , 07:30 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Saviorofcamelot View Post
I just started doing a lot of PVP and I immediately noticed that this ability is 50-50.

If I pop it after I get attacked it normally gets undone really quickly due to a DoT. If I see the danger coming and pop it before they get to me it always lets me get away...

It should work 100% of the time but the only time is actually works 100% is when you pop it before you actually get attacked.
...at which point you may as well just be using Stealth+Sneak instead.

I agree, anyway, that Disappearing Act needs to be fixed so that its more useful. As a Dirty Fighter who relies on bleeds I have to basically stop attacking for about 15s prior to popping DA and even then it still often doesn't work properly.

Zolinar
01.15.2012 , 08:49 PM | #7
DOT was causing itto cancel. Dam smugglers need this skill to work right even with dots.

Saviorofcamelot
01.16.2012 , 12:23 AM | #8
I mentioned this in another thread and people apparently think BioWare set it up to fail most of the time you use it because stealth is supposed to break due to DoT damage.

Disappearing Act is the most powerful ability a STEALTHER actually gets because you can pop out of stealth and attack a target that is surrounded by other players and then pop your Disappearing Act to sneak away again.

It's a vital ability to stealthers and I agree it needs to be fixed.

The darn ability has a 2/3 minute cooldown so its not like we get to abuse it or anything but the only way to fix this issue will be for them to make it so the ability also removes all negative effects.

If Disappearing Act removed all negative effects it would gurantee that the ability would always work but I don't see BioWare fixing this issue anytime soon.

It's been 4 weeks and I still can't buy a moddable weapon for Akaavi but I can buy 50 moddable weapons for each of my other companions.
Kamikazi - 40+ Scoundrel Healer - The Courageous
Kamikazi - 50 Sage Healer- Jedi Covenant

Kryptaz
01.16.2012 , 12:59 AM | #9
In PvE you sometimes after popping disappearing act get stuck with combat.
This problem is caused by your companion which has suffered damage when popping it or yourself from a dot.

If this happens I usually just still run away and pop a heal or something, and then put companion on passive - then it'll exit combat.

If it's dot related to PvP I have no fix sorry. But in PvE it's almost always due to your companion wanting to engage combat again and all you got to do is put him on passive and that should fix it (you have to throw a heal on him or yourself to disengage combat though).

poasiodss
01.16.2012 , 03:55 AM | #10
I don't think making the skill clear dots will really help out.

This seems to work similarly to the line of sight mechanic. If you pull off an instant move while your target is in sight and either you or the target moves out of sight while the animation is playing, your grenade will fly through the walls and still hit the target. The same seems to apply to someone using Disappearing Act. If I use a skill with lengthy animation just before you re-entered Stealth, the damage will happen at the end of my animation and during your stealth phase. It will pop you out.

I do remember Vanish from WoW (pretty much the exact same skill as Disappearing Act) going through similar problems. (Mainly with latency and skills with travel time) The solution Blizzard put in place after something like 6 years was to make it so that the stealth gained from Vanish could not be broken from any damage for the next three seconds. This seemed to resolve a good number of issue people were having with the skill. Any damages that would go through (sometimes stuns) due to travel time or latency would still happen, but the entire skill itself would not be rendered horrendously useless.

What this also allowed was to make it so that using Vanish would guarantee a safe reopener for the stealth class. I'm not sure if the developers' intentions for Operatives/Scoundrels was to make them actively fight for a chance at reopener, but I would personally like to see 2-3 second of stealth-break immunity upon using Disappearing Act. Considering Disappearing Act is off of Global Cooldown, it is theoretically possible to hit Vanish Act and open on someone immediately, but the whole thing is a gamble.

As far as DoT breaking stealth is concerned, we already have Dodge on 45 second cooldown (which removes every dot on you) and an instant cast debuff remover on a 4.5 second cooldown. Having Disappearing Act serve as a third DoT removal feels like an overkill. If you're strictly concerned about removing dots and entering stealth quickly, you can Dodge and use Vanishing Act simultaneously considering they're both off of GCD. Making Disappearing Act remove dots will not save you from the damage delay resulting from animations.