Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why don't the class stories branch out?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why don't the class stories branch out?

Fion
01.14.2012 , 01:11 PM | #1
It seems to me that Bioware promised us deep stories where your choices matter and can actually change things. Maybe I read to much into that. But now that I've gotten fairly deep into four different class stories, from what I've seen none of the class stories branch out at all. None of the choices you make have any consequences, or change anything. It's really the 'illusion of choice' that one of the lead designers so infamously stated as one of their design philosophies.

Still, am I the only one that is disappointed that each story appears to be a strait line with no real choice or consequences? Maybe I just haven't played any that do have those things (and if that's the case, it seems to me they should ALL do that). I'm deep in Chapter 2 of Smuggler, early Chapter 2 Consular, and late Chap 1 with Imperial Agent and Trooper and I have yet to see a choice in the story that leads to anything else but the linear path.

Ohnoto
01.14.2012 , 01:20 PM | #2
How do you know it hasn't branched out?

The only way to know for sure is to play through the same class twice, but make different choices to see the ultimate outcome later in the game.
Community Admin - TorCommunity
News, Guides, Forums, Character Profiles, and more.

Fion
01.14.2012 , 01:45 PM | #3
Crafty reply lol. Most games with a branching storyline, you know when a branch happens because some major choice comes up, or the game changes in such a way that you know what you just did changed things.

I suppose they could branch it out and you wouldn't know it, but why make things so subtle?

Cybrielle
01.14.2012 , 03:36 PM | #4
When I saw your thread, I thought it was going to be about the advanced classes not going into different story lines once chosen. Kind of disappointed that wasn't what you were getting at. I'm leveling my main character (Jedi Consular Sage) with a buddy of mine playing a Jedi Consular Shadow. It's been a big disappointment that we're both doing the exact same story line even though we picked different advanced classes. It doesn't even save us time, because very often only one of us gets credit for completing the quest when we both go into the zone together. So we may as well have different stories.

As for your actual subject matter, I can agree it'd be pretty awesome if your conversation response choices actually had some major implications towards your future story line. Other than just light side/dark side points that is. Granted...I haven't tried to go Light with an imperial character or dark with a republic character, so I have no idea how much or if it affects the end story at all by doing that.

Fion
01.14.2012 , 04:40 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Cybrielle View Post
When I saw your thread, I thought it was going to be about the advanced classes not going into different story lines once chosen. Kind of disappointed that wasn't what you were getting at. I'm leveling my main character (Jedi Consular Sage) with a buddy of mine playing a Jedi Consular Shadow. It's been a big disappointment that we're both doing the exact same story line even though we picked different advanced classes. It doesn't even save us time, because very often only one of us gets credit for completing the quest when we both go into the zone together. So we may as well have different stories.

As for your actual subject matter, I can agree it'd be pretty awesome if your conversation response choices actually had some major implications towards your future story line. Other than just light side/dark side points that is. Granted...I haven't tried to go Light with an imperial character or dark with a republic character, so I have no idea how much or if it affects the end story at all by doing that.
I kinda though they were probably the same once you chose your advanced class but I didn't know for sure, so I didn't mention it. But you are right, that is another issue I'd like to see them change at some point. Considering just how different some of the advanced classes are to each other, the stories should also change. It's another example of the linearity of lack of branching stories or actual choice.

Mechavomit
01.14.2012 , 04:44 PM | #6
It branched out for the SW.

Punkre
01.14.2012 , 04:49 PM | #7
Their are a few choices that have some ramifications latter on:

The Agent one:
Spoiler

As for the SI: I played up to 38, got really bored and can't stand the storyline. Not sure if it had any big change options in the plot.
Spoiler

So I think the planet,
Spoiler
, might be the planet where all characters make a some what serious choice that has an effect latter on.
In your pants. I'm alluding to your priorities being in your pants. Like, your wiener or weird lady parts that no one understands because they're all tucked in. That's what I was going for. -Coyote

tausra
01.14.2012 , 04:50 PM | #8
This is an MMORPG, they can only do so much with it. If you can do better, give it a try.
"Sith, children of Sith, warriors everywhere, I declare a new Empire, open to all who long for conquest, freedom from inhibition and the right to follow their passions." -Emperor Malgus

Guildrum
01.14.2012 , 04:59 PM | #9
Except that would require cause and effect for almost every decision in teh game, a potential branching off for countless encounters. I would like it, it would be amazing, but if they branched off based off of decisions, what happens if I and my friend are Troopers, and I spare a guy that my buddy kills, and he ends up on a completely different questline than me, and I want to help? I can't help him because he's on a total tangent from my storyline, and there is nothing I could do about it?

It'd be great for a Single Player RPG, but not for an MMO.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

Dardove
01.14.2012 , 05:06 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
Except that would require cause and effect for almost every decision in teh game, a potential branching off for countless encounters. I would like it, it would be amazing, but if they branched off based off of decisions, what happens if I and my friend are Troopers, and I spare a guy that my buddy kills, and he ends up on a completely different questline than me, and I want to help? I can't help him because he's on a total tangent from my storyline, and there is nothing I could do about it?

It'd be great for a Single Player RPG, but not for an MMO.
You could still help out by going into his phase. It is just like how you go into the storyline for a different class even though it has nothing to do with your story.