Gamespy Interview with James Ohlen - Patch 1.1 & Ability Delay

Jagerinho

Hi guys, don't know if you have all seen this so I'm sorry if its old.

Gamespy did an interview with James Ohlen - and on of the things he talked about was the ability delay

Quote:

GameSpy: Have you made progress in tracking down a way to fix that annoying PvP combat lag issue?

"James Ohlen: Oh, yeah. The thing is, it's not a single thing. It's a whole bunch of different things that come together to create the feeling of lag. In some ways that's good news -- it means it's not actually lag -- but in other ways it's bad news. It means we have to touch a whole bunch of different systems to improve it. It's something that we have a lot of different solutions for. A lot of those solutions are coming in Game Update 1 next week. We have some more in the weekly patch that will come out a week after that. That's another thing, our weekly patches, where we're doing bug fixes -- when I say "bug fixes," I don't just mean bugs, I also mean what we like to call "quality of life improvements." Things that are annoying players, we'll make tweaks to them or changes. For example, our auction house, the Galactic Trade Network. People have some issues with some of the features involved there. Because of that, we're making small changes to improve it, they won't be in the major game updates, but instead they'll be in the weekly bug-fix updates.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo-project/1216434p1.html

I've posted this in the ability delay thread as well, sorry if you are seeing it twice but I know people don't always check it.

Edited by Jagerinho

1.1 didn't have (things that shouldve been in the game before release):

Addon support

UI customization

target of target

changes to crew skills

changes to itemization

/unsub

can i have your stuff ?

but seriously the abilities delay is the number one issue , what you listed is secondary .

Do they ever spend time on actually fixing the game instead of just going to interviews telling how awesome the game is going to be after patch 1.XX?

Seriously, all we see are interviews with differemt sites and its always about how awesome the game is, how only 5% disagrees with the awesomeness and how it is shaping up to be the most awesome thing to happen to the world since Barney Stinson

serious issues can take serious amounts of time to fix? especially when there's a lot of different factors involved

Sure but they are so fundamental it should not make it in to release. Period. The fact this was one that was not prioritised earlier in the games development cycle tells you a lot about how BW are approaching things. They are going for the quick and easy fixes like emoting on a mount rather than the fundamental game altering ones like skills firing when you hit the key. Of course one requires significantly more work than the other but it is work that should have been done a year ago.

He basically used double-speak and didnt answer the question. It basically looks like they cant fix it IMHO, especially since in the other interview he basically was trying to blame players' pcs for causing the issues and not the game.

This the same answer they posted in the dozen capped threads about ability delay, which seems shady especially when this isnt a new issue its been happening since at least the last two beta builds and ppl complained about it then with the same no feedback.

Sure but they are so fundamental it should not make it in to release. Period. The fact this was one that was not prioritised earlier in the games development cycle tells you a lot about how BW are approaching things. They are going for the quick and easy fixes like emoting on a mount rather than the fundamental game altering ones like skills firing when you hit the key. Of course one requires significantly more work than the other but it is work that should have been done a year ago.

I'm a massive PvPer myself, and it is a massive issue - but not game breaking and definitely not something a game should be delayed over.

Do they ever spend time on actually fixing the game instead of just going to interviews telling how awesome the game is going to be after patch 1.XX?

Seriously, all we see are interviews with differemt sites and its always about how awesome the game is, how only 5% disagrees with the awesomeness and how it is shaping up to be the most awesome thing to happen to the world since Barney Stinson

People whine when they don't communicate enough, people whine when they communicate too much. Basically, people whine.

People whine when they don't communicate enough, people whine when they communicate too much. Basically, people whine.

There is the game forum for communication with the players, and to be honest, I dont find a lack of communication on the forums.

These interviews arent for the players already in game, they are for the ones still in doubt of buying the game. Instead of fixing the game and holding on to the current playersbase, BW tries to pull in more players that will undoubtly feel cheated and anyways leave. End result is not bigger subscriber numbers but more unsatisfied customers.

And no I cant see the future, Im just making an asumption based on experience with other mmos.

He basically used double-speak and didnt answer the question. It basically looks like they cant fix it IMHO, especially since in the other interview he basically was trying to blame players' pcs for causing the issues and not the game.

This the same answer they posted in the dozen capped threads about ability delay, which seems shady especially when this isnt a new issue its been happening since at least the last two beta builds and ppl complained about it then with the same no feedback.

Blindness and impatience aren't going to serve you well lol! I am more than happy with his thoughts there and it's great to see that it is going to be sorted out. Thanks for the post OP as I never check the old thread anymore. It's also good to see that things are going to be addressed with the weekly update too.

What do you think they're doing when they aren't giving interviews? The guy giving the interview isn't the TEAM of MANY people doing the fixing. You really think there's one guy back there doing all the work? Good grief....

There is the game forum for communication with the players, and to be honest, I dont find a lack of communication on the forums.

These interviews arent for the players already in game, they are for the ones still in doubt of buying the game. Instead of fixing the game and holding on to the current playersbase, BW tries to pull in more players that will undoubtly feel cheated and anyways leave. End result is not bigger subscriber numbers but more unsatisfied customers.

And no I cant see the future, Im just making an asumption based on experience with other mmos.

haha "Biodrones" better then me calling them bioware brown nosers... Thanks for this ^^

Bioware are unable to fix the issues as of yet, maybe one day a poor staff member will have a Eureka moment,, but that could takes years let alone months rofl...

What do you think they're doing when they aren't giving interviews? The guy giving the interview isn't the TEAM of MANY people doing the fixing. You really think there's one guy back there doing all the work? Good grief....

/facepalm

I am jsut sick of the talk. I want the fixes not fairy tales about them.

its what worries me a bit, as well. i have seen this sort of thing with other games, brag about 'boxes' sold or characters created the first month. talk about the fixes that are coming down the pipe, while giving themselves a bit of an out ('its more complicated than it may seem...'). the fixes players really want never come, devs/reps go quiet for extended periods, until the next fair sized update is about to go live, at which point they attempt to rope more people in ('honey, ill be different this time, you'll see!') - all while ignoring the inquiries as to when a fix promises ages ago will come.

really hope im wrong and bioware isnt drawn down this easy, seductive path, but ive seen it before, multiple games from multiple companies.

its what worries me a bit, as well. i have seen this sort of thing with other games, brag about 'boxes' sold or characters created the first month. talk about the fixes that are coming down the pipe, while giving themselves a bit of an out ('its more complicated than it may seem...'). the fixes players really want never come, devs/reps go quiet for extended periods, until the next fair sized update is about to go live, at which point they attempt to rope more people in ('honey, ill be different this time, you'll see!') - all while ignoring the inquiries as to when a fix promises ages ago will come.

really hope im wrong and bioware isnt drawn down this easy, seductive path, but ive seen it before, multiple games from multiple companies.

Until now, eerything reminds me of AoC... the way they were telling their masterplans for fixing issues in the game, and at the same time telling how good the game was on different sites. They actually got ALOT of subscrubers the first month or two, but in the end people realised it was a scam. They just wanted to get as much money as possible on false advertiisement/promises.

I sincerely hope BW isnt walking down the same path, but I have been fooled before, so Im keeping my wallet close to me until I see the fixes for real.

1.1 didn't have (things that shouldve been in the game before release):

Addon support

UI customization

target of target

changes to crew skills

changes to itemization

/unsub

If you're on Harbinger Republic send me your credits. Cya.

Glad to see they are on top of this already, that's amazing.