Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Female officers

Foolbee
01.14.2012 , 12:17 PM | #1
I'm not sure if it's referenced in the movies or any of the books, but why are the female officers called sir? I'm sure other current or former military out there have the same reaction I have when I hear it.

If the Star Wars culture is to be gender neutral, other references should change as well. King Amidala, Prince Leia Organa and so on.

brandonspikes
01.14.2012 , 12:22 PM | #2
Trannies. must be a tranny.

PacificaSolaria
01.14.2012 , 12:27 PM | #3
It's the military in a movie, show or game. 'Sir' seems to always be the proper term in media. I just notch it up to another example of this being a fictional universe.

Polebreaker
01.14.2012 , 12:28 PM | #4
It's extremely common in SF to do so. Has been for a long long time (think original Star Trek for TV, and long before that in print. I think some of the rebels referred to Leia as sir while on Hoth, pointedly ignoring the worshipfulness title...)

venomoverlord
01.14.2012 , 12:32 PM | #5
Well, with a post like this, surely Bioware has run out of things to fix as the game is clearly near perfect.

I get it... I noticed it... didn't care, figured it went along with everyone having an english accent.

Pyromanen
01.14.2012 , 12:44 PM | #6
There's a lore object on Ord Mantell that explains, atleast for the republic side, that due to the vast diversity within the republic military, it's been decided that you should always address your superiors as "Sir".

Enodia
01.14.2012 , 12:54 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Foolbee View Post
I'm not sure if it's referenced in the movies or any of the books, but why are the female officers called sir? I'm sure other current or former military out there have the same reaction I have when I hear it.

If the Star Wars culture is to be gender neutral, other references should change as well. King Amidala, Prince Leia Organa and so on.
I am prior military, I don't mind it and I had no reaction to it either. I also am an old Star Wars fan and know it's just Star Wars lingo for military personnel in charge. As for King and Queen titles, those are world dependents and don't particularly have an impact on the Military. Can't change something that's been pretty constant for 43 years...and yes it was slated in 71' and not released until May of 77, but still regardless...that's a long time and I doubt any of the Hard Core Star Wars fans would care for the change of title due to a gender issue, or due to some people not able to see that Sir is used as a Title. It's not a poke at gender it's just how the military culture is in this Universe (Star Wars Universe).
Darth Vader: I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now "I" am the master.
Obi-Wan: Only a master of evil, Darth.

Darth_Curious
01.14.2012 , 01:16 PM | #8
In a world where your immediate superior's gender might not be readily apparent or even existant, "sir" is a used a catch-all so nobody gets butthurt when you call them the wrong thing.

Ontos
01.14.2012 , 01:32 PM | #9
Could be that when those voices were recorded, it wasn't decided if they were addressing an XX or XY recipient. All those voices were probably recorded at different times because they don't really sound like an actual conversation, they sound like different sentences that were spliced together to sound like people talking (basicly, think of it as a female VA being recorded on a monday, tuesday, and thursday but the male VA didn't show up for recording until wensday, friday, and the following monday...basicly the two VA may have never actually meet face to face).
Waldorf: The internet is a completely different culture, isn't it?
Statler: You said it. Everything here is immediately followed by sarcastic comments and nasty responses.
Waldorf: Yup, we're finally where we belong.

Ralei
01.14.2012 , 01:36 PM | #10
The same reason my Sith is called "lord" instead of Lady.

It's a man's world.