Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Trooper story good?

Bokamon
01.15.2012 , 08:57 AM | #11
Trooper's story is meh imo. Feels like Mass Effect on a very bad day.
4/5 of it is save planet X from weapon of mass destruction Y. Would not recommend Trooper for story.

cameronjambo
01.15.2012 , 10:23 AM | #12
Its fine until you finish the first major chapter. After that i started spacebarring everything. It was just "go hear talk to this guy so he can join you" repeated.

Kozor
01.15.2012 , 11:17 AM | #13
My Trooper is level 42 and Act 2 was terrible. Basically it's a poor man's Mass Effect 2 only without any drama or personal story.

Unfortunately the whole Trooper's storyline is very impersonal, you're just a mindless drone doing tasks for Garza over and over again so she can pat you on the head. Story-wise there is no motivation to keep going. Companions are shallow as hell, zero character development and are basically one-dimensional walking stereotypes. There are zero important choices with consequences. Nothing is happening behind the scenes.

Just compare it to Imperial Agent's story which is personal and actually has an ambitious design with choices that affect lots of things which happen later and you will know what I mean.

After Act 1 Trooper has basically no real story with character development. Just some loosely connected missions. You become totally detached from what's going on. Nobody is ever interested in your character, nobody ever asks you anything and side quests felt more personal than class story. All you ever get is lots and lots of boring ego-stroking telling you, that you are the best soldier in the galaxy which is frankly so cheesy I doubt I will get to 50 anytime soon.

Dutchpower
01.15.2012 , 11:34 AM | #14
After act 1 it's horrible. Just an arrand boy for Garza who is a unrealistic snobby slag.

People were claiming the trooper story line was awesome. It's not. Especially the end of act 2 when you have all your companions. Worst ending to a act ever.

somejerk
01.15.2012 , 11:50 AM | #15
Dark is the only way to go to really spice things up. Plus killing Imperial scum and traitors is in your job description so letting them live would be treason.

Jay_Stocker
01.15.2012 , 01:04 PM | #16
really loved the military storyline. until the end. it ended without an exciting storyline IMO to a point where i didnt believe i had just concluded my story.

Miths
01.15.2012 , 01:48 PM | #17
My Vanguard is only lvl 21, doing early missions on Nar Shadda, but so far I'm a bit underwhelmed by the story and dialogue.
Obviously there are certain expectations from a military story, but it just feels a little too disjointed and the dialogue - at least playing mostly light side - a little too formal and bland.

Although I do think part of my hesitation to continue my Vanguard is probably also down to everything feeling - as a few other people pointed out - like a much less engaging version of Mass Effect. And playing the female trooper it's even with the voice of Commander Shepard (Jennifer Hale does an excellent job as usual, although in this game I feel she's surpassed by Jo Wyatt as the Imperial Agent).
Not quite the warm-up I was hoping for in anticipation of Mass Effect 3 in March.

Krijgsheer
01.15.2012 , 04:44 PM | #18
I really enjoy the Trooper storyline so far. I'm level 25 at the moment.

I got a Smuggler alt, my first impression of the story is that it's not so interesting imo. However I do enjoy the dialogues of my Smuggler more than any other class.
Lieutenant J. Xorius, Vanguard
Strike team's 2nd commanding officer of <The Kavar Academy>

Damiarch
01.15.2012 , 05:02 PM | #19
A jedi companion wold help this class a lot.Why they choose to give non-jedi pc no jedi companions is beyond me.I mean duh...its star wars..Han had Luke ...right?

HarryVoyager
01.15.2012 , 05:09 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixxi View Post
[...]
I can only guess that it's hard to imagine something bright for military...
[...]
Go read David Drake. Try Cross the Stars. You can get it free in ebook form from the Baen Free Library.

Addendum: Heck, most of Drake's really good works are retelling of old Greek and Roman myths anyways, so its not like the authors couldn't raid the same source.

Jason and the Argonauts would work pretty well for a Trooper quest arc, and if they do the Bronze Bull scene half as well a Drake did his, it would be a battle to remember.

"So that's why the bulls were there... We're all going to die now, aren't we?"
"Yep."
"For the Republic!"