Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Ommm
01.13.2012 , 11:59 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonCarrade View Post
I don't know, to me it sounds like BW took the eaiser, lazier way out of this issue.

Does the game engine have anything to do with this? I've heard a lot of negative feedback about this games engine.

I know nothing about game making, so I'm just asking.

Yes and no. Hero engine, which they use their own modified version of, is apparently dirt cheap to licence, so they have to program alot of features themselfs. During beta highres textures did work, but now they dont anymore and it is not very well optimized in general. This probably would not happened with unreal tech, which they use for mass effect.

Altho hero engine has some interesting interactive tools, which unreal sdk does not have, as far as i am aware.
This signature is currently missing from the website. I don't have an ETA on when will this basic feature be implemented but it is in my plans.

TalonCarrade
01.14.2012 , 12:00 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Ommm View Post
Yes and no. Hero engine, which they use their own modified version of, is apparently dirt cheap to licence, so they have to program alot of features themselfs. During beta highres textures did work, but now they dont anymore and it is not very well optimized in general. This probably would not happened with unreal tech, which they use for mass effect.
Thanks Ommm!

Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

traft
01.14.2012 , 12:05 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by LaVolpex View Post
oyyyy...

jesus people...enough already, if its REALLY REALLY that gamebreaking to you, just leave and cancel already, i think they have given this subject enough attention and answers already, they will implement it, as soon as the 1.2 patch, but just because you all keep screaming and posting the eleventieth thread about the subject wont make it go any faster

there MUST be reasons, whatever they are , that they are reluctant to do this, there MUST be deeper issues here that they may not be able to reveal (think about it, if it was so gamebreaking that it causes server instabilty or your character to glitch in some unwanted way , would you really tell the masses so they could duplicate it? )

it cant be that easy to switch on and it cant be some devs personal vendetta to just not let us have it, yall need to chill out and have some friggin patience

PS: to clarify , i do want high rez as much as the next guy, and i do agree this issue could have been handled in a more proffessional way by BW , but im not gonna stop enjoying the whole of the rest of the product jsut because of some grainy pixels, ill just lower my rez to 1920x 1080 and barely notice it 90% of the time while i wait for a fix
My eye sight is crap and i can't tell the difference between low and high quality unless i get uncomfortably close to my monitor so my care factor is low.

But, if you advertise a Porsche and deliver a VW Beetle then the consumer has legal cause to be concerned about misleading advertising. They shouldn't have kept putting out high quality gameplay videos if they couldn't deliver on it.

While nobody expects games to be of trailer quality, ones showing gameplay are meant to be indicative of what you should expect in game.

You should also stop telling other people what they should and should not get upset about, as customers it is their right to complain about any aspect of the product which could jeopardise the business relationship.

People need to let go of the concept that games are not big business and consumers shouldn't expect the high standard they expect from any other product they purchase or service they PAY for.

If they can't deliver then they should come out and say it and say when the customers can expect features they assumed they were already paying for. To shut off the feature because somone's rig might struggle with the load sounds like BS. Give everyone all the options and if my rig struggles then I can turn things down until i have the performance I am comfortable with.

If I were to guess I believe it is a limitation of the graphic engine they are using and because they don't want to cop even more flak for using a third party engine instead of creating their own custom built one for their needs they claim the reasons they have put through the PR machine.

Alphas and Betas are really the area where you should test this level of functionality, you shouldn't launch live by hardcoding lower end graphics and claim people's rigs can't handle it. There are much better looking FPS games out there where performance is critical which handle fine by even average rigs.

There is more to it then what they are letting on but I don't really care about reasons, you just want to see a developer handle issues well and resolve issues timely because if they struggle with handling problems it is usually not a good sign for the future.

doomlordVII
01.14.2012 , 12:11 AM | #24
Quote:
When it comes to cinematic scenes, however, characters are rendered using the higher number of draw calls and maximum resolution textures. This is because in those scenes, we have control over exactly how many characters are rendered and can ensure that the game performs well.
The thing is, the ultra-high end enthusiast doesnt care. Those with beefy enough rigs should be allowed to access the maximum settings. Yes, it wont be usable by most people, but thats not the point. Some people drop thousands on rigs with very high end parts (my rig is pretty good, and not even close to the best available).

When im playing SWTOR, im using about 60% of the VRAM, and getting 100-200fps @ 1920x1200. As the textures exist, we should be able to enable them via some method in order to be able to fully use the computer power available. It doesnt need to be via in-game settings: there would be too many complaints on the forums about low FPS/crashing due to insane VRAM usage and so on. Simply add a config line like "texturequality = 3" to represent 'high' settings (current high is really medium). That way those who know what to expect have access, while those with no clue about the settings wont accidentally get 5fps.

Look at Crysis (I will never stop using it as an example). It came out and destroyed EVERY SINGLE computer available. It just couldn't be maxed out. Most played at medium settings and got 30fps. However, there were still the few with Quad Core CPUs overclocked to 4.5ghz, 8gb ram and quad-SLI 8800GTX setups that would end up writing custom config files in order to surpass the maximum settings. Years later, with most high-end rigs getting 100fps or so, most use extremely high configs that surpass the default "very high" by a lot.

And yes, I KNOW its possible. Entities in cut scenes are flagged for high-rez textures, and then de-flagged once the cut scene is over. Knowing that, it shouldnt be too hard to just have that flag set to 'on' all the time.

That, or someone will simply find a way to force it (replace medium texture files with the high ones, etc.).
i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz / GTX 570 sli / 8gb DDR3 2000mhz / OCZ Vertex 2 Raid 0
11-11-11 Crew
Early Access Crew

ZincThallinide
01.14.2012 , 12:17 AM | #25
I would like for the option to display all high resolution textures to be made available as soon as possible.

svenholio
01.14.2012 , 01:01 AM | #26
They really need to turn them back on and soon. I really like the game, just looks like shabby and thats not what I bought a new pc for after playing the beta. They should have told everyone before it went live that they were downgrading the visuals in game.

Zorvan
01.14.2012 , 01:09 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by swanheart View Post
hey bioware!

Just wanted to let you know that the issue with my subscription being active while having medium to low resolution textures while playing turned out to be a bug and it is corrected now.

general
  • fixed a bug where subscription would be active without high resolution textures.

thank you for your patience!
lol

+1

Harower
01.14.2012 , 01:15 AM | #28
I would get refund but I actually like this statue.

Actually the box was pretty epic, the game tho >.>
Best swtor picture EVER!!!
http://imgur.com/zgTKy
Mass effect 3 summed up in a single picture
http://i.imgur.com/xDaDH.jpg

Zorvan
01.14.2012 , 01:24 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Harower View Post
I would get refund but I actually like this statue.

Actually the box was pretty epic, the game tho >.>
Just tell them you'll settle for a partial refund of $60, the cost of the game by itself.

Rizael
01.14.2012 , 01:25 AM | #30
This has me concerned, at the moment I run almost every area of that game at an FPS of over 100, and would not mind playing the game at a much reduced FPS but with more detailed textures on my, and other characters around me. I find the approach that Bioware has taken "to ensure performance" out of my hands and to place it within their hands because the vast majority of gamers are in denial of what their computer can handle baffles me. After reading the post by Steven two questions stuck out that I had to ask to get clarification on, so I can direct my anger to the appropriate channel.

Will the addition of highest textures as an option cause a low graphics setting machine to experience more performance quality issues than if it was left out (aka is it poor coding *low textures should not be linked in any way w/ high textures*)?

If not then why do you assume everyone has a mental deficiency and cannot determine that maybe "high" is beyond their current computer specs?

If you could answer me those two questions sufficiently I believe you would have perhaps a little bit more understanding from the playerbase. However pretty much any answer you give to those questions will reflect negative on Bioware.

Thanks for your time.