Why do people hate EA so much?

afroebob

I'm just wondering why people hate EA so much? Considering the majority of what they did is put in a ton of funding for the game, I would say that the EA intervene is a good thing. People always complain about Electronic Arts being a bad publisher, but I think that they have made (or at least taken part in the creation of) some really nice games. Just to name a few, the older Battlefield games, Dead Space (not my cup of tea, I don't find it scary but I still think its a good game), Command and Conquer, Skate, The Sims (and I know lots of computer nerds here might say that Sims is a bad game because they deem it only for 'casual gamers' and that it is somehow beneath them. I have been playing video games since I was 5 and I found Sims 3 to be a great game), and, not to mention, Mass Effect 2 which was a substantial improvement over the first, an already great game. I wonder if Bioware would have been able to even finish the game without EA, TOR is the most expensive game of all time according to experts with estimates of 125-200 MILLION DOLLARS! Bioware has some nice sales but EA's big fat publisher money is almost endless in comparison.

I won't lie, joining with EA has probably had some negatives. I hear DA2 suffered from it, but I also know that nerds will, by large, complain about anything that is different or less than they expected. DA2 might not have been as good a game, but I doubt it was as bad as people would make it out to be. Also, EA obviously didn't rush the game at all. The launch might have been a little buggy but I don't see how an MMO can't be at launch considering the scale it is created on, and EA not being a the publisher wouldn't have reduced them. Bottom line, EA has, in my opinion, been a positive when it comes to the development and publishing of TOR. It has helped them gain more spending money for making the game and has spread the word nicely. Also, and think about this. World of Warcraft is the number one MMO on the market by subscriptions. World of Warcraft is made by Activision Blizzard. Considering Activision Blizzard is a part of Activision and EA and Activisions are the feuding publishers in the fight for supremacy in the video game market, wouldn't it be in EA's best interest to make TOR the best it can be in an effort to divert WoW players over to their product? Just think on that next time you make a post about how EA is the video game equivalent of the offspring of Satin and Freddy Kreuger.

There's actually not a lot of love from me for the business practices of either EA or Activision. Most of it stems from how they are handling console games. I hate that EA puts a one use code in with new games to screw over people that can't afford a brand new game and want to try to buy it used. I think it's ridiculous to be honest. So far Activision hasn't gone that far, but I figure it's a matter of time. As such, I don't buy many EA games New or Used anymore. This one was an exception as are the other Bioware games. I don't like the fact that they are penalizing people for not being able to afford brand new games. My grief with Activision mostly stems from the fact that I find the head of the company to be a repugnant human being. Edited by Jadedfate

Like them or not, they are HUGE. When you are popular, you are also hated by people instantly for that.

They aren't hated because they are huge.

The hate grew from a couple of things.

1) They went through a period of buying up studios of successful, popular games/series, milking them dry with crappy, half-assed efforts and then shutting the studios down.

2) Internally, their working conditions were horrid.

3) Their continued drive to turn anything and everything into a yearly release cycle. If the game didn't fit into this goal, they weren't interested

In the past 5 years or so they appear to have done alot of work in regards to their reputation. They are no longer the monolith they once were, they are more willing to put money into projects that aren't 100% guaranteed to be smash hits and since EA Spouse, working conditions are said to have improved dramatically.

Basically, look at how Activision are currently run and that was EA 10 years ago. It is no coincidence that Activision currently garner the most hate from gamers, while EA, while still hated, is working on winning back those that they lost.

I hate that EA puts a one use code in with new games to screw over people that can't afford a brand new game and want to try to buy it used. I think it's ridiculous to be honest. So far Activision hasn't gone that far, but I figure it's a matter of time.

Go have a word with Gamestop then. Their entire business is propped up by second hand game sales, because a second hand game is 100% profit for Gamestop and 0% profit for game developers/publishers. The one time codes are an attempt by developers/publishers to get into the second hand games market.

Edited by Swift

Because people can't think for themselves and are stuck in this stupid rut of going **** THE CORPORATIONS MAN SMOKE WEED 420 YEAH. They're hating EA because everyone hates EA and so therefor they must hate EA.

I agree with that. Especially the 420 part

They aren't hated because they are huge.

The hate grew from a couple of things.

1) They went through a period of buying up studios of successful, popular games/series, milking them dry with crappy, half-assed efforts and then shutting the studios down.

2) Internally, their working conditions were horrid.

3) Their continued drive to turn anything and everything into a yearly release cycle. If the game didn't fit into this goal, they weren't interested

In the past 5 years or so they appear to have done alot of work in regards to their reputation. They are no longer the monolith they once were, they are more willing to put money into projects that aren't 100% guaranteed to be smash hits and since EA Spouse, working conditions are said to have improved dramatically.

Basically, look at how Activision are currently run and that was EA 10 years ago. It is no coincidence that Activision currently garner the most hate from gamers, while EA, while still hated, is working on winning back those that they lost.

Agreed. I used to hate EA a while ago but they have done a lot more to fix their image. Activision on the other hand is *********** itself bad.

Because EA takes great studios, chews them up, drains the profit, then spits them out like a little kid who goes through a pack of gum in an hour because they want all that juicy sweet flavor.

You even mentioned a great example of that, the command and conquer series was not made my EA, it was was created by westwood studios. Then they acquired it, and destroyed the command and conquer series by pushing bad design decisions onto the studio in the name of speed and profit.

They did the same to bioware and DA2.

People say bioware is bioware but they arent the same bioware who made the games you fondly remember.

This is EA's MO they take good studios with best selling titles and gut them for profits.

Because EA takes great studios, chews them up, drains the profit, then spits them out like a little kid who goes through a pack of gum in an hour because they want all that juicy sweet flavor.

You even mentioned a great example of that, the command and conquer series was not made my EA, it was was created by westwood studios. Then they acquired it, and destroyed the command and conquer series by pushing bad design decisions onto the studio in the name of speed and profit.

People say bioware is bioware but they arent the same bioware who made the games you fondly remember.

This is EA's MO they take good studios with best selling titles and gut them for profits.

...And it works.

I think BioWare decided to try and do something new with DA2 and they screwed up. I don't think EA had anything to do with it.

I hate EA because when they make crappy sports games they just try to buy the license to be the only company allowed to make games for that sport and the games they make are always worse than their competitors. NFL 2K was fantastic and Madden has sucked *** for more than 10 years. NBA 2k is great and EA is trying to buy the rights to use Kevin Durant, and they already have the rights to 3 point contests and slam dunk contests so if you play NBA 2k you can't do Dunk or 3 point contests during the season.

Basically people hate EA because they foster mediocrity because they have so much money that they can afford to force talent out of the equation and/or just buy the talent and then destroy the company. Look at BioWare, Dragon Age 2 sucked horribly. Meanwhile, Origins was fantastic.

So there's your answer.

Hello all,

We are going to go ahead and close this thread. We ask that threads on the forums are centered around discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

As this thread is discussing game publishers and their reputation in the gaming community, it is not on topic or constructive.

Thank you.