Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Kao Cen Darach - The Zabrak Jedi from the Return Trailer

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Kao Cen Darach - The Zabrak Jedi from the Return Trailer

XinnKoda
01.15.2012 , 05:49 PM | #11
Best part ever is when he throws his lightsaber to block the fatal blow about to strike his apprentice. I showed the trailer to my father-in-law (who doesn't particularly like Star Wars) and when he saw him take on the 2 sith with the 2 sabers, he said "That's one bad man" haha.

I like watching the saber duels in all the movies as well as SWTOR trailers. I like to think of Star Wars IV-VI as a time when the Jedi were older and slower and I look at prequels as when the Jedi were in their prime. Especially in SWTOR trailer, you can see how much better they were at deflecting bolts at them. The Zabrak spins his saber behind his back and instantly deflects 2 bolts traveling at him, without even looking in the same direction.

As far as the duel between Obi-Won and Anakin... people saying it looked WAY too choreographed... isn't that kind of the point? Obi-Won taught Anakin everything he knew... wouldn't it make sense their fighting styles match perfectly? Still, imho, i think Obi-Won VS. Maul is the best ever (in the movies at least).

Duality is pretty good too, but that one is very fluent, but seems like some of their moves are a little off.

Sinigual
01.15.2012 , 07:06 PM | #12
Hah nice to see other people enjoyed seeing Kao Cen as much as I did!

Yes, clearly his abilities with a lightsaber are absolutely ridiculous... and I would love to read or maybe even SEE more of him in that regard, but I also would like to know about his background.

He was SO stoic, unshaken... in the face of such improbable odds.

Lets break it down:

- First time any Jedi openly faced Sith in almost 300 years (from what I understand, the events in that trailer are the first time the Sith Empire return to Korriban in a loooong time)

- He had complete faith in his apprentice (who, sure, turned out to be one bad mama herself... thanks to HIS training!)

- Had to make sure the fight remained contained so the smuggler could prep his ship.

- Had to keep his emotions in check... you see his clear surprise and urgency when he says "The Sith Empire has returned!" ... it's not like he's out doing some simple negotiations, he had to keep his **** together knowing that this was not just some renegade enemy.

That said, it stands to reason that Darth Malgus is a mean sonofabeetch himself... since he DID take him down one on one... but I like to think Malgus was better prepared than Kao Cen heh.

Still... that moment, when Kao gets both lightsabers and goes to work against the two of 'em... good lord. Doesn't get old.

mirosusan
01.15.2012 , 08:09 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by JacenHallis View Post
The duels in the OT were so good precisely because of the emotion behind them. At some points in the prequel trilogy, duels looked like a choreographed dance rather than lightsaber fights. The one between Obi Wan and Anakin is especially grievous in this regard.

For me, nothing beats that lightsaber duel in Return of the Jedi.
I strongly disagree. First of all, my favorite duel was Qui-Gonn and Obi Wan vs Darth Maul. I think duels with light sabers have to look like perfect choreographies, it shows the highest skill with the force. It's about tiny details, about slightest hints of tiny mistakes to exploit.
Nonetheless, the old duels are awesome for sure.
DARTH VALL ILLUMI
FLYGIRL YVVES ILLUMI

SITH JUGGERNAUT & IMPERIAL OPERATIVE ON DE-JAR'KAI SWORD

Durzaka
01.15.2012 , 09:57 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by mirosusan View Post
I strongly disagree. First of all, my favorite duel was Qui-Gonn and Obi Wan vs Darth Maul. I think duels with light sabers have to look like perfect choreographies, it shows the highest skill with the force. It's about tiny details, about slightest hints of tiny mistakes to exploit.
I have to disagree with your disagreeing.

It is a nicely choreographed fight, dont get me wrong, but jesus christ, pay attention tot hat fight and there are SO MANY times obiwan or quigon could deal a death blow when Mauls blade is very far away from theirs. But instead they kind of back off for a second.
Durzaka Retribution

Sinigual
01.15.2012 , 09:58 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by mirosusan View Post
Valid point... With force users being able to "predict" and such, it makes sense that saber duels do look so choreographed.

The darth maul duel is definitely one of my all time favorites as well... Though there's not a lot of attached emotion behind it... Just amazing choreography.

The second time an anakin fights darth tyranus is solid as well

Wolfninjajedi
01.15.2012 , 10:00 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinigual View Post
Valid point... With force users being able to "predict" and such, it makes sense that saber duels do look so choreographed.

The darth maul duel is definitely one of my all time favorites as well... Though there's not a lot of attached emotion behind it... Just amazing choreography.

The second time an anakin fights darth tyranus is solid as well
Why do all fights need to have emotion behind them?...
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Sinigual
01.15.2012 , 10:03 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Durzaka View Post

It is a nicely choreographed fight, dont get me wrong, but jesus christ, pay attention tot hat fight and there are SO MANY times obiwan or quigon could deal a death blow when Mauls blade is very far away from theirs. But instead they kind of back off for a second.
Not to geek out too hard here, but that is the first time they've fought a sith... They haven't been around for centuries... Sure, they spar with other Jedi and are versed against droids, aliens, etc... But they hadn't fought a full on force user with intent to kill in that era. Not to mention one with a saber staff (they weren't around for a while from what I understand and didn't come back till the New Jedi Order).

My theory is, using the force, those moments of hesitation were "counter to a counter to a counter" of the famous Jedi "prediction".

*shrug*

Sinigual
01.15.2012 , 10:07 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Why do all fights need to have emotion behind them?...
Well for me, I tend to be more attached to a struggle when there is some sort of fleshed out personal background behind it.

The final duel in return of the Jedi between Luke and vader was 3 movies deep with all sorts of knowledge from both sides.

In phantom, we just knew maul was evil and obi wan and qui gon were good. That battle's high point is after maul kills qui gonn... When you are now seeing a personal emotion behind the fight...

Don't get me wrong, I still love it all around heh...

Just like the kao cen fight in the trailer got soooo intense when it was just him against the two sith. He made the sacrifice... And you hope he wins even though you know it's almost impossible.

Durzaka
01.15.2012 , 10:12 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinigual View Post
Not to geek out too hard here, but that is the first time they've fought a sith... They haven't been around for centuries... Sure, they spar with other Jedi and are versed against droids, aliens, etc... But they hadn't fought a full on force user with intent to kill in that era. Not to mention one with a saber staff (they weren't around for a while from what I understand and didn't come back till the New Jedi Order).

My theory is, using the force, those moments of hesitation were "counter to a counter to a counter" of the famous Jedi "prediction".

*shrug*
I understand the "logic" behind it, but it very weak logic that doesnt hold up under any scrutiny.

Id go rewatch the fight and link a youtube video with times where a simple thrust would disable, or even kill Darth Maul, but i too lazy.
Durzaka Retribution

mirosusan
01.16.2012 , 02:00 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Durzaka View Post

Well, on one side, I don't remember it well, but I'm stoked to see it in 3D
On the other side, I've been doing Kenjutsu (Japanese sword fighting) for a while, which is comparable to light sabres in the way that armor or strength won't really help you and you can't stand many hits, and I learned that it's not always that easy to deal deadly blows without getting exposed too much. It was always like this with the gosh darn wooden swords lol, backing off knowing that you COULD "cut".
I think a good combination is the way to go, especially with Sith, showing emotion. I also loved how Mace Windu fought the Emperor, it was the same, but you could see what the stake was for both of them. I'd love to see Kyle Katarn fighting in a movie or cinematic.
DARTH VALL ILLUMI
FLYGIRL YVVES ILLUMI

SITH JUGGERNAUT & IMPERIAL OPERATIVE ON DE-JAR'KAI SWORD