Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Disgusted by the Early Trooper Story

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Disgusted by the Early Trooper Story

Lady_Alyria
01.14.2012 , 08:06 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Sparkeh View Post
By the sounds of your rant however it would seem you would rather have a "everything is great and we are all happy friends together" situation and have no options to what you can and want to do.
I think what it is, is he wants them to be more appreciative when he helps them, but he's not looking at the entire picture.

Average Ord Mantell Citizen: My parents have been killed, my kid has been kidnapped, my home has been destroyed, I'm sleeping in a tent, I'm sick and I have no medicine, the only way to get food is to risk my life in Republic sponsored death games.

Trooper comes along and fixes one of these issues, well overall, life still sucks. Not to mention this entire war is because the Republic seems to have a blood in, blood out policy. When you are worried about if you'll die of random disease A, you don't care which group of warring bastards get to wave their flag in the middle of town.

Philmors
01.14.2012 , 10:46 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Duradel View Post
If you persist in both JK and Trooper stories you'll find the Trooper actually gets more respect than the Jedi. Many of the Ord Mantell quests had frustrating outcomes but that's not all the same. Once you rise in rank people start respecting you A LOT more, trust me
I think it has more to do with the trooper is more 'real' and has skills that aren't out of the realm of other normal people due to training. The Jedi's ability tend to be more tied to them being born with their mystic mojo and seem more unnatural.

Of course some people think that if their force abilities are nullified or countered, they are pretty much easily taken down. In most cases this is true for your average Jedi.

Talonval
01.15.2012 , 03:48 AM | #23
This is actually something I have enjoyed about the trooper. I decided to play the arrogant, trigger happy, bloodthirsty DS trooper, purely in it to get the girls and kill everything he can, yet its sometimes hard to do this, like
Spoiler
... ouch...

So yeah, its pretty cool that they have put together a story and sidequests that really make you think at times about the decisions you make, especially if you are trying to play one side of the coin or the other

Damidos
01.15.2012 , 03:55 AM | #24
what discusted me was, they took the mass effect 2 plot watered it down and transfered it to the trooper. They just adapted script build a crack team and kill the bad guys yawn.

Thisisxonaz
01.15.2012 , 03:56 AM | #25
No one likes a grass.

Isoetes
01.18.2012 , 04:03 PM | #26
I actually really like the Trooper storyline. The whole corruption on a backwater planet really fits the situation on Ord Mantell well, but you get your chance after that to play a paragon of virtue. I was actually surprised that some choices which are for the greater good or the Republic add to your dark side points, much more than the Jedi Consular which I tried out first

It's actually hard to be entirely light sided as a trooper IMO since if you follow orders, not everything you do is going to be "good" (and you get reprimanded if you don't follow your orders). Still, I think I may make my trooper into an opportunistic dick now that he's on Tattoine.

Luckmann
01.18.2012 , 04:13 PM | #27
Welcome to the military.
Bevier, Knight of the EmpireLord Calypso, EU RP-PvP
WTB Jedi Battlelord's Chestguard, Greaves, Boots & Handgear.

Triforceelf
01.18.2012 , 04:19 PM | #28
If my trooper was any more of a hero, dramatic music would play as he entered the room.

Oh wait, it does if you bring 4X.

Republic Side Operations Guild
Master Gnost-Dural

Viera
01.18.2012 , 04:23 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Mlyrrh View Post
You're absolutely sure about this? When I hit Coruscant people will be as relieved to see me as they were to see my Consular? (I quit him because I was bored to tears hunting items for others as a SI, and apparently was as a JC as well.) The thing is that I literally lost motivation to go above and beyond the call of duty, my whole intent when playing the Trooper. It's the earliest point of the game. They should have done more to draw you into that role so you'd want to continue and achieve greatness and do away with the corruption.
Dude, the Ethics Officer was a lazy corrupt drunk. Everybody in the Republic Military on Ord Mantell was corrupt. If you listened to the stories of the people you interacted with, you'd realize that. On my trooper I did mostly good and people were amazed and thankful like

Spoiler

It gets better.
"I was a historian once, gathering the relics of the Jedi, learning the ancient mysteries. Always, there were more questions."

Macheath
01.18.2012 , 05:57 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by PantheraMorag View Post
Did you stop after that side quest or did you play out the class story to level 10? If you didn't I think you should go back and at least finish the story, as you might be surprised by how things progress.

By the way, the missions you mention specifically are not part of the Trooper story line, but are side missions for smugglers too, who are also yelled at. Personally I think it's good that they show that the Republic isn't so nice and noble as it tries to portray itself. Besides, on Corusant you get to do away with all the corruption and bribery if you want to.

One of the things I have a problem with is how Black and white the dark side/light side options are, and several of them are just wierd, like the Khatar lady
Spoiler
But then, I didn't expect more from Bioware, as they've done the same in all their other games; KOTOR, Mass Effect, etc.
With regards to the Cathar lady:

Spoiler

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.