Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sorcerer - Healer?

UrbanChili
12.14.2011 , 09:48 AM | #1
I only got my sorcerer to lvl 16 and didn't really pay much attention to the heal skill tree. I don't like to play cross profession chars (hated in Rift when everyone wanted my ranger to go bard all the time)
How much do people expect the sorcerer to heal in SWTOR?
I would rater make a healer than a sorcerer if I'm expected to heal all the time.
I don't mind minor support as sorcerer but spending all my ig time healing ...

A'Nuea

_Darkstar
12.14.2011 , 09:50 AM | #2
The only people I see asking this question are people who don't want to heal, I have never seen anyone post that they expect Sorcerors to be healers.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

CandaceG
12.14.2011 , 11:14 AM | #3
Same here, I don't expect any role to just be a healer.

MMO's have come a long way and I think most of the vets don't look at one class just being a healer anymore. ( unless the game is design that way )

CodenameMaul
12.14.2011 , 12:58 PM | #4
i will make my SS hybrid - healer/dps
DESTRUCTION, LIKE ALL THINGS, IS MINE TO COMMAND.!!!

Slvc
12.14.2011 , 01:10 PM | #5
Based on my limited experience playing this game in beta, I feel that this game actually does away with the "oh this is a healing class" stereotype due to the Advanced Class system coupled with the fact that many classes can in effect heal. Personally, I plan on healing as a Sorcerer, but I also agree with what that other guy posted above me: MMO vets don't stereotype as much. The game community here hopefully will be mature as it is more fantastical-based in incredibly popular lore, and those who play this game hopefully are the ones who love single player RPGs but are starting to feel lonely in them, if that makes sense..

For example, playing Skyrim .. It's awesome until you yearn to see other actual players playing

UrbanChili
12.14.2011 , 02:58 PM | #6
Well, I know that mmos are moving away from the "trinity" concept. GW2 isn't going to have it. I ask because in Rift being a ranger I was always asked to go Bard, support heal, and I got fed up with it and made a cleric (group heal)
I know you can swap build, but if my fav is being dps I don't want to heal all the time I'm in a group.

A'Nuea

SySnootles
12.14.2011 , 06:22 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by UrbanChili View Post
Well, I know that mmos are moving away from the "trinity" concept. GW2 isn't going to have it. I ask because in Rift being a ranger I was always asked to go Bard, support heal, and I got fed up with it and made a cleric (group heal)
I know you can swap build, but if my fav is being dps I don't want to heal all the time I'm in a group.
Make no mistake, this game is still "trinity" based. Flashpoints involve a dedicated Tankīs and Healerīs, as well as DPS, what classes fill those roles is largely irrelevant as long as they are prepared for it (skill and gear wise).

Itīs a fact that most people will expect a sorcerer to be a healer, even tho it makes for a good damage dealer. Sorcerer will have to deal with it, as Shadow priests and Balance Druids did years ago (sorry for the WoW reference, but hey... its seems like its the simplest way to get a point across these days).
SySnootles is... Darth Rage Quit, a Pure Blooded Sith Sorcerer Healer plying his trade on the Dark Intent guild / Kellian Jarro server.

Kalanu
12.14.2011 , 08:52 PM | #8
You will need to be clear when you go for groups. In beta, players asked for heals instead of a sorc. Sorc is not the only healing class, and it does cover ranged "magic", so for those who are from WoW, you might think Mage.

Every group needs the fundamental roles of tank, dps, cc and healer. I've been in groups where we used Khem Val as the tank and things worked (it was challenging, but we pulled it off). The great thing about SW:TOR is that there are several classes who can heal, and several who can tank, or dps.

I would imagine that when lfg, you will hear players asking for role fillers instead of specific classes. The exception is that for tough Heroics, you will need a specced healer because a hybrid won't be able to keep the tank healed. I have several years of healing and tanking experience, and was in beta for a year. (Just saying I am decent at playing a healer.) And there were some Heroics where even with a spec'd and geared tank, keeping him up was challenging. Early on, a few were simply brutal. I think they have things tuned pretty well by now. Past L20, you will want to have specced roles for the most part. Hybrids will have challenges unless they are really good.

The coolest groups I was in had SI's for all 4 spots with an Assassin tank, Assassin and Sorcerer dps, and a Sorcerer healer. Those were amazing!!!

Mistchiff
12.15.2011 , 12:27 AM | #9
I actually plan to play my sorc as a main healer type class. If you compare the heal skill trees to the operatives which is really the only other suitable option, the end heals they get from the tree are MUCH MUCH better than the operatives. That being said I prefer the sorc for this because they have a more direct heal play style with a barrier cc and some dot heals to supplement the direct heals.

I plan to spec 31 corruption 10 lightning, from what I played in beta it didn't seem that there would be multiple class sets like rift, you can make variations of the classes because of the skill trees but I don't think you can load a different spec. That would mean to me no one should be asking you to heal a lot if you are specced to be dps, just lfg and what not as dps =)

UrbanChili
12.15.2011 , 01:08 AM | #10
I'll just have to make a sorcerer and see where it takes me I guess. Thank you all

A'Nuea