Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Give Force Lightning to dark alignment Jedi Consulars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Give Force Lightning to dark alignment Jedi Consulars

hadoken's Avatar


hadoken
01.14.2012 , 05:37 PM | #21
They talked in beta about wanting your light/dark side alignment influencing what your abilities looked like, but I don't know if that's actually something they're really working on.

Even if they did, they wouldn't just swap the animations from the other faction, as right now they're not completely balanced. I guess if they were to actually balance that (call me skeptical) they could, but right now it would lead to one alignment being the 'preferred' way to play given the animation advantages.

We already see the complaints that the Empire has the animation advantage in a number of abilities, we don't need to further cloud the issue by giving those animations to the Republic via gameplay choices.

Xanhorn's Avatar


Xanhorn
01.14.2012 , 05:55 PM | #22
I think the idea is dumb. The abilities you are taught are not directly related to your alignment for good reason. As a force user on the Republic Side, you were not taught Force Lightning because the Jedi Trainers do not practice Force Lightning, you have no where to learn from. Plus I disagree that lightning is really a dark ability. I believe in the school of thought that how and why you use a force ability determine if its light or dark, not the ability itself. I honestly believe Force Lightning could be used as a Jedi defibrillator if needed.

Honestly I don't feel alignment should have any effects on abilities or even what items you can use. It is against cannon to say dark side users can't use a blue saber. Look at Ep 3. Also there were LS jedi would use red crystals in the EU.

I honestly don't mind the Jedi Consulars animation style.

Turak_Katase's Avatar


Turak_Katase
01.14.2012 , 09:12 PM | #23
I was thinking about this topic as well, and as much as I'd like to have Force Lightning, I can think of many more reasons not to give it then to do so. However, I would like a social ability given at something like Dark III that is dark side related.

TheoNJ's Avatar


TheoNJ
01.14.2012 , 09:13 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
The implementation issues with this makes it not worth it, IMO. Changing color of attacks, maybe. Maybe some animation changes, but to completely change the style of the attack wouldn't work.


Maybe instead of projecting rocks and pebbles, the dark aligned could project puppies and kittens?
My imagination commends you!

Ezekiel's Avatar


Ezekiel
01.14.2012 , 10:05 PM | #25
I think it's a great idea and something that i actually hoped would happen as i hit Dark V.
Never underestimate the power of....

THE SCHWARTZ!!

Dcayd's Avatar


Dcayd
01.14.2012 , 11:48 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Minniyar View Post
This makes zero sense to me. Being able to use lightning is not a matter of instinct or light/dark side choices, but training. No matter whether your choices are light or dark side, your training comes from Jedi , and they're the ones who you to throw projectile items and debris... not channel force lightning. Force lightning is usable by Sith because they were *trained* to use it from the time they first became apprentices.
Except SI gain lightning while still more or less a slave with potential. SI use lightning for what, 5-8 lvls before becoming an apprentice? Seems rather risky training your slaves to use such a powerful ability.

I agree with what you say about Jedi training, just pointing out an obvious flaw with your view of Sith training. They probably should have used lightning as a higher lvl ability.

thejumpingsheep's Avatar


thejumpingsheep
01.15.2012 , 12:45 AM | #27
I dont like the idea of lightening for Jedi's but I dont like healing abilities for sith either... I can understand self heals but heals for others? Isnt that against the sith belief of the strong survive and the weak die?

I think the big mistake was trying too hard to keep a mirror and in the end slight differences made a huge difference in PvP. It would have been much better if they had stuck to lore. The Sith Sorc should have self only heals vs Jedi Sage less damage output and effective group/targeted heals. This way no one would argue about imbalance because it would have been expected from the start and it wouldnt be a surprise in PvP. Yes this would make Sorc better 1 on 1 but that would also make them somewhat useless in groups and that is the trade off. The sage would retain group favor but will not be able to outright out damage a dps class.

Which brings me to another big issue with current balance. Sorc/Sages outright out DPS'ing pure DPS classes... this happens much too often and this should never be the case. If anything, healing classes should have the lowest DPS. There is a reason why this is so in most other MMO's and it is to maintain balance and some sort of fun for everyone else not playing an OP class. Sorc (never fought a sage cause im light) are incredibly hard to kill, even harder than tanks and they are able to maintain good damage output while surviving with heals. This should not be the case and is the primary reason why almost everyone plays a sage/sorc. Im not saying nerf, what I am saying is that other classes should be better dps. It should be a 100%/75%/50% scale for DPS/Tanks/Healers respectively with variation for hybrids and CC classes.

Xienive's Avatar


Xienive
01.15.2012 , 12:50 AM | #28
If you want to be darkside and use force lightning...why on earth would you not just choose Inq?


Consulars get Consular animations and vice versa.

Ellisande's Avatar


Ellisande
01.15.2012 , 02:35 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Xanhorn View Post
I think the idea is dumb. The abilities you are taught are not directly related to your alignment for good reason. As a force user on the Republic Side, you were not taught Force Lightning because the Jedi Trainers do not practice Force Lightning, you have no where to learn from. Plus I disagree that lightning is really a dark ability. I believe in the school of thought that how and why you use a force ability determine if its light or dark, not the ability itself. I honestly believe Force Lightning could be used as a Jedi defibrillator if needed.

Honestly I don't feel alignment should have any effects on abilities or even what items you can use. It is against cannon to say dark side users can't use a blue saber. Look at Ep 3. Also there were LS jedi would use red crystals in the EU.

I honestly don't mind the Jedi Consulars animation style.
But the Jedi don't train me. If they did I wouldn't have to pay for it.

Since I am paying for it and therefore the trainer isn't a Jedi I see no reason why I can't pay to learn Force Lightning intead of Pebble Throw.
Quote: Originally Posted by cjohnk View Post
You can't add completely arbitrary assumptions on to someone's statement. When a statement is made, take it for what it is not for what it could be if you tack on 7 more words of your own choosing.

Dcayd's Avatar


Dcayd
01.15.2012 , 08:37 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by thejumpingsheep View Post
I dont like the idea of lightening for Jedi's but I dont like healing abilities for sith either... I can understand self heals but heals for others? Isnt that against the sith belief of the strong survive and the weak die?

I think the big mistake was trying too hard to keep a mirror and in the end slight differences made a huge difference in PvP. It would have been much better if they had stuck to lore. The Sith Sorc should have self only heals vs Jedi Sage less damage output and effective group/targeted heals. This way no one would argue about imbalance because it would have been expected from the start and it wouldnt be a surprise in PvP. Yes this would make Sorc better 1 on 1 but that would also make them somewhat useless in groups and that is the trade off. The sage would retain group favor but will not be able to outright out damage a dps class.

Which brings me to another big issue with current balance. Sorc/Sages outright out DPS'ing pure DPS classes... this happens much too often and this should never be the case. If anything, healing classes should have the lowest DPS. There is a reason why this is so in most other MMO's and it is to maintain balance and some sort of fun for everyone else not playing an OP class. Sorc (never fought a sage cause im light) are incredibly hard to kill, even harder than tanks and they are able to maintain good damage output while surviving with heals. This should not be the case and is the primary reason why almost everyone plays a sage/sorc. Im not saying nerf, what I am saying is that other classes should be better dps. It should be a 100%/75%/50% scale for DPS/Tanks/Healers respectively with variation for hybrids and CC classes.
Hybrid taxes are stupid and I'm pretty sure Bioware has already stated that if someone specs into dps trees then they should be able to do as much dps as any other dps class. If a class with heals is healing for too much without speccing for healing then it's not the damage that needs to be nerfed, its the baseline heals.