Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Give Force Lightning to dark alignment Jedi Consulars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Give Force Lightning to dark alignment Jedi Consulars

Vlacke
01.13.2012 , 01:57 PM | #1
Topic title says it actually so i want to hear your thought on the matter.

I believe this is how it should have been in the first place, lore wise even.

It could also be used as a cool incentive for the class and for the Republic faction which suffers from imbalance problem.

Boxer
01.13.2012 , 01:59 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Vlacke View Post
Topic title says it actually so i want to hear your thought on the matter.

I believe this is how it should have been in the first place, lore wise even.

It could also be used as a cool incentive for the class and for the Republic faction which suffers from imbalance problem.
The implementation issues with this makes it not worth it, IMO. Changing color of attacks, maybe. Maybe some animation changes, but to completely change the style of the attack wouldn't work.

Maybe instead of projecting rocks and pebbles, the dark aligned could project puppies and kittens?

Vlacke
01.13.2012 , 02:19 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
The implementation issues with this makes it not worth it, IMO. Changing color of attacks, maybe. Maybe some animation changes, but to completely change the style of the attack wouldn't work.
Well that is the idea generally, seeing as how these 2 are mirror classes, changing the animation of one attack wouldn't be too difficult i assume.

Onager
01.13.2012 , 02:31 PM | #4
I'd also like to see the projectile timings on attacks made more consistent between the Sorcerer and the Sage, but it's different for every other mirror class (except maybe Warrior/Knight) so that's probably way too much to ask for.

Really, IMO the consular shouldn't be a mirror to the Inquisitor at all. There is no canonical jedi equivalent to the Sith that the Inquisitor advanced classes were based on.
[Emyr - Sage]+[Kack - Guardian] [Guildmaster - <Wight Trash>] [Drooga's Pleasure Barge]
PVE Healing guides! [Sage] [Sorcerer]

Boxer
01.13.2012 , 02:46 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Vlacke View Post
Well that is the idea generally, seeing as how these 2 are mirror classes, changing the animation of one attack wouldn't be too difficult i assume.
But the names and bonuses in the spec trees wouldn't match up, causing the extra work there.

And really, no comments on the puppies and kittens?!? I play lightside, but the idea of Telekenetic throw shooting a stream of kittens at people is just a very interesting visual.....

Vlacke
01.13.2012 , 02:58 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
But the names and bonuses in the spec trees wouldn't match up, causing the extra work there.

And really, no comments on the puppies and kittens?!? I play lightside, but the idea of Telekenetic throw shooting a stream of kittens at people is just a very interesting visual.....
Well that idea made me laugh for sure

Khadroth
01.13.2012 , 03:03 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Onager View Post
Really, IMO the consular shouldn't be a mirror to the Inquisitor at all. There is no canonical jedi equivalent to the Sith that the Inquisitor advanced classes were based on.
Right so we'll just stand here and cast our canonical defensive powers while you cast your offensive powers. Because that would somehow be balanced.

At best we force a stalement, at worst you kill us, because we have no way of taking the offensive. That's why lore gets trumped by gameplay every time they clash. Lore should be followed within reason, but if you create a game that's canonically perfect but no one wants to play it, then you just lost yourself a lot of money.

So what if no one is running around doing force hadoukens after this point in the Star Wars IP? Maybe the art is lost after this time period, regardless it's fun and provides balance without wrecking the IP.
The Starwind Legacy Anchorhead (PvP East)
"Tsu" 50 Miraluka Bala Sage "Soge" 3 Chiss Sniper
"Roronoa" 10 Pureblood Sentinel "Ashellia" 12 Borg PT
"Gene" 50 Human Gunslinger "Erza" 11 Human Jugg
"Shocktrooper" 16 Borg Comm "Hei" 1 Chiss Assassin

Onager
01.13.2012 , 03:20 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Khadroth View Post
Right so we'll just stand here and cast our canonical defensive powers while you cast your offensive powers. Because that would somehow be balanced.

At best we force a stalement, at worst you kill us, because we have no way of taking the offensive. That's why lore gets trumped by gameplay every time they clash. Lore should be followed within reason, but if you create a game that's canonically perfect but no one wants to play it, then you just lost yourself a lot of money.

So what if no one is running around doing force hadoukens after this point in the Star Wars IP? Maybe the art is lost after this time period, regardless it's fun and provides balance without wrecking the IP.
Um, no. It would be like the Paladin/Shaman dichotomy. It's okay for one faction to have a class that doesn't exist on the other side. They don't have to be mirrors of one another.

The consular should've been a melee/force hybrid even as a sage. Still lightly armored. Healing is fine, they can mirror that to an extent. The TK and Balance trees are stupid. And if anything the casters should get the saber staves rather than the melees.

I've also heard rumored that they plan to institute new abilities for each AC that are alignment based, although take that with a rather hefty grain of salt.
[Emyr - Sage]+[Kack - Guardian] [Guildmaster - <Wight Trash>] [Drooga's Pleasure Barge]
PVE Healing guides! [Sage] [Sorcerer]

Simoon
01.13.2012 , 03:34 PM | #9
So as soon as you slip to the darkside you INSTANTLY learn a new power, which although it's actually the same power with the same stat line and damage it would then have a different visual effect the availability of which would need to be checked each and every time you make a light/dark conversation choice? Sounds like a completely common sense idea which they should have implemented form launch.

<sarcasm off>

Really, you really care that much that changing the visual effect of a single power will make more people want to play sages instead of sorc's? Not sure I share your confidence or even your idea there my friend.
"There is always an opportunity......"

"The deal hasn't gone bad, it was a bad deal to start with."

Vlacke
01.13.2012 , 03:37 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Onager View Post
The consular should've been a melee/force hybrid even as a sage. Still lightly armored. Healing is fine, they can mirror that to an extent. The TK and Balance trees are stupid. And if anything the casters should get the saber staves rather than the melees.
I agree with you on this.

Now i love the very idea of Jedi Consular, but i think this class should have been handled differently.
Throwing rocks and vases, seriously?
The very least they could have done is not make Consular look ridiculous at higher levels.
Consular is on par with the Inquisitor regarding knowledge of the force and use of it's powers so they should have treated them as such.
The idea of a corrupt dark Consular still throwing vases, dishes and rocks at his opponents for example is ridiculous to say the least.