Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Level as healing or DPS?

Redial
12.14.2011 , 09:42 AM | #1
Just wondering what other "healer" merc are going to lvl as?

in any other MMO i would lvl as dps and switch endgame, but with companions it
is of course easier to lvl as a healing spec.

problem is mako is a great healer, and it seems overkill having 2 healers.

2 questions:

1. are you guys lvling healing tree or a dps tree until deeper endgame?

2. if you are going dps, at what lvl do you think we will be unable to cut it as flashpoint healers, and need to respec healing tree?

thanks, see you guys in game

bobafetea
12.14.2011 , 09:47 AM | #2
Not sure about when you won't be an adequate healer for flashpoints, but you shouldn't have a problem if you level as a healer. You should deal enough DPS to be fine until you get your second companion that isn't a healer.
"I see why they call you the best bounty hunter in the galaxy." ― Darth Vader
"Curse Fett! He thinks he's real smart." "He is smart, Bossk. That's why he's the best."

Aeroc
12.14.2011 , 10:10 AM | #3
This is a good question.. I am level 10 atm and Mako is a great healer..
I do not know the cost of respec yet, but I am torn at this point. I might wait a while and just leave my talents alone. If I can still solo okay, then no worries here. If not then I will have to do another method..

bobafetea
12.14.2011 , 10:13 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeroc View Post
This is a good question.. I am level 10 atm and Mako is a great healer..
I do not know the cost of respec yet, but I am torn at this point. I might wait a while and just leave my talents alone. If I can still solo okay, then no worries here. If not then I will have to do another method..
I've been told by Werdan that it's relatively cheap and does get more expensive each time you do it. Howeve, when he was playing the beta, after a few days, the cost to respec dropped back down to zero.
"Curse Fett! He thinks he's real smart." "He is smart, Bossk. That's why he's the best."

boba_fatnik
12.14.2011 , 11:02 AM | #5
im mainly focusing on dps all the way, since im gonna be ina guild anyway at endgame/flashpoints etc.. were most likely gonna have full healers coming any ways at least the majority of the time so im goin to stick to doin as much dps as possible.
my guns my favorite bit#$, and shes got permenant pms so she stay bitc#in :P

uberkind
12.14.2011 , 11:33 AM | #6
Am I missing something? Aren't you putting your first six Skill points in Hired Muscle and Ironsights either way?

With apologies to Pyrotech, you can reach level 21 before having to worry about Skill points that are definitely specific to either healing or DpS.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300McoZMco.1

Spoiler alert: Mako isn't your only companion choice.

Mblythe
12.14.2011 , 11:43 AM | #7
I'm leveling as a healer and have no problems wrecking things. Its kinda hard not to wreck when you are so hard to kill. I mean, I soloed that gold champion beast outside of Drummond Kass City... it took a lot of kiting, but I killed it. My three friends tried to kill him when I was in town and they wiped. hehe
Tred - GM of Eminence on the Lord Praven server.
BH Combat Medic
CE VIP

Redial
12.14.2011 , 12:44 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by uberkind View Post
Am I missing something? Aren't you putting your first six Skill points in Hired Muscle and Ironsights either way?

With apologies to Pyrotech, you can reach level 21 before having to worry about Skill points that are definitely specific to either healing or DpS.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300McoZMco.1

Spoiler alert: Mako isn't your only companion choice.
i have never put my first skill points into my "off tree" in any game. Because it has never seemed worth delaying access to the higher tiered, and theoretically higher powered skills

and i know that mako is not the only companion, however i played trooper to lvl 22 and did not have a 2nd companion at that time, so not sure when you get the next one (varies by class i hear)

bobafetea
12.14.2011 , 07:41 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Redial View Post
i have never put my first skill points into my "off tree" in any game. Because it has never seemed worth delaying access to the higher tiered, and theoretically higher powered skills

and i know that mako is not the only companion, however i played trooper to lvl 22 and did not have a 2nd companion at that time, so not sure when you get the next one (varies by class i hear)
Can't agree more, you should always put the first 31 points into your main tree to get to those higher tiered powers as soon as possible

Modyn
12.14.2011 , 09:07 PM | #10
I'm probably going to lvl as a healer. Although I'm planning on a Bodyguard/Ars hybrid spec so it won't be healer all the way up.
~=< Intense Cold >=~
In the Dark comes the Intense Cold!
West Coast / PVE / Casual