Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Seriously annoyed by flashpoints.


MrBimo's Avatar


MrBimo
01.13.2012 , 05:20 PM | #21
Your playing an MMO and your talking to us on a thread. You might be shy, we all are, thats why we play MMOs, well me But the point of an MMO is to rely, make friends with other people across the world and have fun. Give it ago, you maybe suprised how similar we all are.
To be a Hero, you must be willing to Die for what You Believe in.
Operative, 55: Lóne Shadow, 55: Línk
Marauder, 55: Neutrolius Commando, 41: Gríffon

Redcheat's Avatar


Redcheat
01.13.2012 , 06:52 PM | #22
If you can write on a forum you can write in a game. Learn and adapt. Or you will never get better ^^.

Bludjinni's Avatar


Bludjinni
01.13.2012 , 06:53 PM | #23
Hello,

I'd like to post just to say hello, and you're not the only one with this social anxiety issue. Though formerly in WoW at least I never had issues pugging, or even making raids myself (as opposed to my social issues irl, which were quite bad) now I find myself even getting sweaty hands thinking of whispering someone for doing a group quest or flashpoint together (though my social issues irl have decreased now! ).

Yet in WoW I still raid (or well, raided until last week) hardcore. The only raids or heroics I am willing to do is with a friend, ingame or otherwise, someone I know and who I know 'got my back'. Even then pugging is really scary, unless I heal (interestingly enough, that's the only role I won't feel threatened in). So it's possible to do stuff with other people despite our issues!

In SWTOR, we made our WOW guild and the guild currently consists of 6 players (heh), and with them I can play freely and group freely without feeling anxious or nervous. Only one person is someone I know irl (and who happens to be my fiancee). It's quite nice. I even speak freely on vent, imagine.

So from this experience, I suggest that you pluck up the courage and join a guild. With some luck you meet awesome players. Any guild, but the moment you see anyone behaving like a jerk feel free to leave again, because you want to build up good experiences, not bad ones. =) Don't hesitate to say you're shy too, it often makes people more soft and nice towards you.

Alternatively you're welcome to join on our server, the Exiled crystal-EU, and we can talk a bit and while leveling alts maybe we can help each other out and stuff. PM me if you're interested!

Good luck!

SteveMega's Avatar


SteveMega
01.13.2012 , 07:14 PM | #24
I know how you feel. The pressure of being relied on in a team has always held me back in MMOs. I feel like it's impossible for me to improve when I'm not given a real chance to begin with.

Luckily this hasn't been a problem for me so far in SWTOR (although I've only had to group about five times so far). I really hope I'm able to handle Operations, because I'd hate to miss out on that level of content.

IMABUNNEH's Avatar


IMABUNNEH
01.13.2012 , 07:45 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MyNinjaPenguin View Post
So I just found out that Flashpoints apparently contain the best game content in terms of story and such, and I'm really ticked off about it. I'm incredibly shy (technically I have a social anxiety disorder), and thus hate being relied on by -- or even talking to -- other players. I only purchased the game (emptying my metaphorical piggy-bank to do so) after reading something a BioWare employee said in an interview about SWTOR being designed for solo players as well as the more sociable ones. I guess I should have done more research.

This is particularly frustrating because I loved KOTOR and wanted to see the continuation of the story, which is the main reason why I, as a solo player, wanted to play this MMO in the first place. Why would BioWare do this? Why wouldn't they put in an option for playing flashpoints on a lower difficulty made for solo players? Why should they care how I play the game as long as I pay for it?

/rant

You're upset because when you choose not to group with other players, you miss certain aspects of content in a MULTIPLAYER game?

You get a metric shedton of content and story that as a single player you can enjoy. You expected to be able to do EVERYTHING solo? Either you need to suck it up and accept that you can't do everything in a multiplayer game without sometimes grouping, or you need to pick a single player game to play.

Also if your metaphorical piggy bank is only a few dollars, you sure as hell can't responsibly afford a monthly subscription.
<FUSE>

Damarak's Avatar


Damarak
01.13.2012 , 07:47 PM | #26
OP is complaining that the most solo driven MMO like ever created, isn't solo enough...purchased knowing full well it was a M...M...O.

I'm giving up on humanity, we are doomed.

Bobty's Avatar


Bobty
01.13.2012 , 08:08 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Xothos View Post
For being to "shy" I am wondering how you are carrying on this forum conversation? It is pretty much the same thing, except you hit more buttons in a flashpoint.
Yeah pretty much. I suffer from pretty bad social anxiety but online interaction does make it quite easy. granted I struggle some times when I have to stand up against other players, but this is more of an assertiveness thing than anything.

It really isn't like real life anyway. When things get too hairy you can always quit out of the game, as opposed to sitting there with your skin burning.

Aristopantys's Avatar


Aristopantys
01.13.2012 , 08:34 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Redcheat View Post
If you can write on a forum you can write in a game. Learn and adapt. Or you will never get better ^^.
LOL exactly . OP, just pretend you're on an animated forum thread when you do flashpoints and all should be well.

jengelb's Avatar


jengelb
01.14.2012 , 08:24 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by MyNinjaPenguin View Post
So I just found out that Flashpoints apparently contain the best game content in terms of story and such, and I'm really ticked off about it. I'm incredibly shy (technically I have a social anxiety disorder), and thus hate being relied on by -- or even talking to -- other players. I only purchased the game (emptying my metaphorical piggy-bank to do so) after reading something a BioWare employee said in an interview about SWTOR being designed for solo players as well as the more sociable ones. I guess I should have done more research.

This is particularly frustrating because I loved KOTOR and wanted to see the continuation of the story, which is the main reason why I, as a solo player, wanted to play this MMO in the first place. Why would BioWare do this? Why wouldn't they put in an option for playing flashpoints on a lower difficulty made for solo players? Why should they care how I play the game as long as I pay for it?

/rant
I know how you feel. I have similar issues.

That said, I would suggest soloing the some of the FPs once you reach 50. As for the ones you can't solo, just stick to normal modes and read up on the fights so you know what to do.

If your anxiety is so severe that you really can't talk to people, you'll need professional help. Ask your doctor about psychiatrists and therapists in your area. An anxiety disorder isn't something a person can overcome on their own any more than they could overcome strep throat without antibiotics. A good therapist and the right medications can really make a difference. It takes hard work but the results are worth it. Ignore the people who tells you otherwise, they are ignorant.

hata's Avatar


hata
01.14.2012 , 08:30 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by IMABUNNEH View Post
You're upset because when you choose not to group with other players, you miss certain aspects of content in a MULTIPLAYER game?

You get a metric shedton of content and story that as a single player you can enjoy. You expected to be able to do EVERYTHING solo? Either you need to suck it up and accept that you can't do everything in a multiplayer game without sometimes grouping, or you need to pick a single player game to play.

Also if your metaphorical piggy bank is only a few dollars, you sure as hell can't responsibly afford a monthly subscription.
I know i can go run the first flash point (havent tried others) completely solo and im not 50, i would have to look into it more, but you can at least do 1.