Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Seriously annoyed by flashpoints.

MyNinjaPenguin
01.13.2012 , 11:15 AM | #1
So I just found out that Flashpoints apparently contain the best game content in terms of story and such, and I'm really ticked off about it. I'm incredibly shy (technically I have a social anxiety disorder), and thus hate being relied on by -- or even talking to -- other players. I only purchased the game (emptying my metaphorical piggy-bank to do so) after reading something a BioWare employee said in an interview about SWTOR being designed for solo players as well as the more sociable ones. I guess I should have done more research.

This is particularly frustrating because I loved KOTOR and wanted to see the continuation of the story, which is the main reason why I, as a solo player, wanted to play this MMO in the first place. Why would BioWare do this? Why wouldn't they put in an option for playing flashpoints on a lower difficulty made for solo players? Why should they care how I play the game as long as I pay for it?

/rant

Vandaman
01.13.2012 , 11:18 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by MyNinjaPenguin View Post
So I just found out that Flashpoints apparently contain the best game content in terms of story and such, and I'm really ticked off about it. I'm incredibly shy (technically I have a social anxiety disorder), and thus hate being relied on by -- or even talking to -- other players. I only purchased the game (emptying my metaphorical piggy-bank to do so) after reading something a BioWare employee said in an interview about SWTOR being designed for solo players as well as the more sociable ones. I guess I should have done more research.

This is particularly frustrating because I loved KOTOR and wanted to see the continuation of the story, which is the main reason why I, as a solo player, wanted to play this MMO in the first place. Why would BioWare do this? Why wouldn't they put in an option for playing flashpoints on a lower difficulty made for solo players? Why should they care how I play the game as long as I pay for it?

/rant
Im betting the quote that you saw was pertaining to the leveling experience. You can level to 50 completely solo, but at endgame it will be social unless all you do is dailes, crafting, and space missions.

This is an MMO so as for the single player FPs. I am willing to say that this will never happen as the whole point of an MMO is the social aspect of things. That is why its called Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

Docyrian
01.13.2012 , 11:19 AM | #3
What class are you playing? I love the story on my Sith characters. The Jedi Knight one isn't bad so far either. And if you hate talking to "other players", why is it ok for you to rant on a public game forum?

MyNinjaPenguin
01.13.2012 , 11:31 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandaman View Post
This is an MMO so as for the single player FPs. I am willing to say that this will never happen as the whole point of an MMO is the social aspect of things. That is why its called Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.
Yeah, I get that. But again, why should they force you to be social? I find the game enjoyable solo, and it's great to have another quality BioWare game. But there's no way for me to do the parts of the game that I care about the most? If they had a single player game that had the same story, then this wouldn't bug me. As it is, it's more than a little frustrating.

Quote:
What class are you playing? I love the story on my Sith characters. The Jedi Knight one isn't bad so far either. And if you hate talking to "other players", why is it ok for you to rant on a public game forum?
I'm a smuggler/gunslinger. Good story, but as a completionist I don't really want to miss out on the flashpoints, which I've been told have the best story. The reason why I can talk (well, rant) here is because on a forum one can reply at one's own pace, whereas in the game it's real-time chat and I freak out trying to reply quickly.

Salmissra
01.13.2012 , 11:34 AM | #5
An MMO involving other people, who would have guessed?

They are not "forcing" you to be social because they are not "forcing" you to own the game at all.

I mean, do you go to a movie then complain to management how they are 'forcing' you to watch it on such a big screen?

Eusevio
01.13.2012 , 11:41 AM | #6
Maybe you can solo the early flashpoints after you out-level them (not sure since I am not very high level).

Also it might be easier if you find a casual PvE guild to join, maybe grouping with some of the same people each time will be less pressure than a group of strangers. I would think that if you go dps you don't really need to talk.

FalmeseReb
01.13.2012 , 11:45 AM | #7
you can do normal mode flashpoints without saying a word....

Mythicrose
01.13.2012 , 11:51 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Eusevio View Post
Maybe you can solo the early flashpoints after you out-level them (not sure since I am not very high level).

Also it might be easier if you find a casual PvE guild to join, maybe grouping with some of the same people each time will be less pressure than a group of strangers. I would think that if you go dps you don't really need to talk.
I've run all flashpoints through Foundry on normal as a level 50 sniper and a healing companion. Takes a while on some, others are a breeze. Depends on how much "trash" you can get past. I did not try the Colocid War Games or Red Reaper flashpoints. Definatel did not do Battle for Ilum or False Emp.

MyNinjaPenguin
01.13.2012 , 11:58 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Salmissra View Post
An MMO involving other people, who would have guessed?

They are not "forcing" you to be social because they are not "forcing" you to own the game at all.

I mean, do you go to a movie then complain to management how they are 'forcing' you to watch it on such a big screen?
*sigh*

You know, I kind of expected this reaction. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. What I mean is, if I want to experience what is basically the sequel to the great single-player game Knights of the Old Republic, then I have to team up. I would also agree with you if would be unfeasible for BioWare to have made flashpoints for solo players as well. However, since they already put in multiple difficulty levels, how hard would it have been to have one for soloers? It would also have been practical I think, since they would be able to expand their audience that way.

Anyway, I don't mean to be antagonistic. Maybe BioWare had good reasons. To those that were friendly, thanks for the info/suggestions.

Talyn_Rahl
01.13.2012 , 12:05 PM | #10
you don't HAVE to team up, I've played pretty much the whole game from 0-50 and done.. maybe 2/3 flashpoints. If you want to see more of the Kotor style story, just wait till you get to Taris, they have quests that directly reference the Kotor story.

Yes if you want the best gear you have to do Flashpoints, and later operations, but if funnily enough you don't want to group up, your gear isn't all THAT important, ergo you don't need to do Flashpoints.
Proud Ownder of a CE Preorder Key aww yeah.
And for no real reason... here's a little spaceship!
ffwwooooossshhh!