Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Legacy Alt: Play yourself as a companion!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Legacy Alt: Play yourself as a companion!

Frostvein
01.13.2012 , 09:38 AM | #11
Did they specify how the legacy system is going to work? Are their any in-combat bonuses?

TheRealMike
01.13.2012 , 09:38 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Angellus View Post
But what would you do about Class Story associated with an alt?

If i were a Marauder and i was leveling a Sorc Healing Alt or BH Tank Alt, then wouldn't i loose out on my alts story arcs when leveling them alongside my main only doing my mains quests.

I could see them possibly implementing a the story elements as "playable companion mission" rather than the cutscenes that setup mission that they go on off screen. However it wouldn't be the same.
swdrgn suggested that your alt would not gain levels during the process. Obviously, the character would still be scaled alongside the levels your current character gains - but when you return to your alt as primary character, he/she would be like you left them. No story progress there.

That's how I understood and favor it.
Just point me in the direction of the action!

I_Grock_Spock
01.13.2012 , 09:39 AM | #13
Best new idea I've seen on here in a while. Kudos!

spencer_
01.13.2012 , 09:40 AM | #14
I love this idea to death. I cannot put into words how much I would like this. Having my consular call in my knight for assistance? Their are no words for the epicness that would ensue.

Matic
01.13.2012 , 09:41 AM | #15
wow thats a fricken fantastic idea. yes please!
Bounty Hunter - Lord Adraas

Gashers
01.13.2012 , 09:41 AM | #16
BUMP For a great idea. I like it a lot!

Good thinking OP!

I mean, seriously, there are some ideas that are "meh" and some that just are dumb. Some are better than others, but this might be the best idea I've ever read on these forums.

DrMelhattan
01.13.2012 , 09:43 AM | #17
This is actually a really cool idea, and I'd be all for it.

I do see a few problems with the combat system, though. Would the Alt-Companion have access to all their skills, or just the ones that available at the same level as the main? And what about specs and people who multi-spec, where skills aren't necessarily associated with a certain level? I could see a problem if you had, say, a level 50 Corruption Sorcerer with access to Revivification while your new main is at level 10. That might put the game on super easy mode for some, which isn't really that bad of a thing.

Still, awesome idea, would really love to see something similar implemented!

TheRealMike
01.13.2012 , 09:43 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Frostvein View Post
Did they specify how the legacy system is going to work? Are their any in-combat bonuses?
Here is the link to James Ohlen's description of the legacy system.

I'll translate:

"James Ohlen: You can create your legacy family tree. There are legacy talents, much like perks. Everything you do with your legacy characters gets you legacy xp which in turn gain you legacy levels. Every legacy level will unlock new legacy-talents. There are also "bind on legacy"-items.

It's really huge. We want to integrate Star Wars' family dynamic. Obviously, the relationship between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker is the most famous in movie history - the [legacy] system has been inspired by that."

I can't find the other link - but in another interview he talks about you beig able to define the relationships between your alts - sisters, brothers, parents, children, married...

/edit: Color
Just point me in the direction of the action!

Frostvein
01.13.2012 , 09:46 AM | #19
Thank you.

MegaBubble
01.13.2012 , 09:48 AM | #20
OP this idea reeks....of awesomeness!

No reason they can't have a few canned dialogue responses though. Heck, even throw in the ability to set relationship status for our alts, marking them as either siblings, spouses, friends, descendants, etc. That way maybe you could even have your legacy companion refer to you appropriately in cutscenes, or in the little one-liners they spout off when you click on them.

Even with just the barebones ability to make an alt a companion though, I love this idea. I've always wanted to play with myself. (See what I did there?)

Edit:

Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealMike View Post
I can't find the other link - but in another interview he talks about you beig able to define the relationships between your alts - sisters, brothers, parents, children, married...
Oh, this is news to me. Awesome then, if alt-companions would be implemented this part of the idea would already be taken care of then. Sweet!