Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Legacy Alt: Play yourself as a companion!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Legacy Alt: Play yourself as a companion!

swdrgn
01.13.2012 , 09:15 AM | #1
I am not a Developer but I am a thinker. As I level my main character and now leveling a alt I can not stop thinking about what the Legacy system has in store for future content.

Now I know most people are thinking about a seperate Talant tree which I agree, but want to take it a step further.

I want the ability to summon my other character and use them as my companion.

First thing we need to clear. Obviously this is only for the same faction.

The level mechanics are already in place. Just like your NPC companions and pvp, the level/skills/equipmet/stats is adjusted accordingly.

My Main Character a Bounty Hunter (level 48 atm) and my new low level a Imperial Agent (level 15) are sisters. I would love to summon my Bounty hunter to help my agent. My level 48 Bounty Hunter would become a NPC and I can set her to heal or DPS, Tank, just like a real companion, and my Bounty Hunter would be leveled down to level 15, like a mentor system EQ2 had.

I would also like to summon my level 15 Imperial Agent to fight as a companion with my level 48 Bounty Hunter. Like in pvp, my agent would have the stats and HP increased to a level 48 , just limited to her given skill/abilities. I can vicariously play with my alt without ruining my leveling and storyline experience

I think for balance reasons your alt companion EXP would be turned off

Here are some other things I would like to see.

When you have an alt as a companion you generate more legacy exp bonus.

The ability to toggle on/off map and discovery locations. Some people want their new alt to re discover things on their own. Others don't care.

A shared bank. Instead of mailing your alt money what ever you sell can be banked and availible to both characters. When you send your alt to sell things they can keep some money for themselves

In story mode your companion will either be dismissed, be replaced with your default class companion or stand idle and have no interaction, mainly for realistic program and development issues. The alt gains no affection, no lightside or darkside points. No rewards, no commendations. The alt is only for combat.

Special awarded Orange gear should be a bind to account and made for both your alt and your main. It would have open slots, just an empty piece so you can tailor it to your characters. BOP items can now be transfered to your alt using the companion tab.

The ability to have access to a special Title or rewards for people who use this system.

Curious on what people think. Trolling is expected but replies with Intellect and constructive thinking is welcome.
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Trolls suddenly flamed the forums and were suddenly banned."

SnoggyMack
01.13.2012 , 09:17 AM | #2
That's an interesting idea.

Some of the other stuff you talk about (like shared bank) are probably in the works.
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

HanzoV
01.13.2012 , 09:19 AM | #3
I don't know the mechanics of it, but this does sound like an awesome idea!

I wouldn't even care if we got extra legacy XP or not -- just being able to use an alt as a companion would be enough for me.
TORtanic indeed. It's just like that movie that was hugely successful and made boatloads of money.
This is an MMO. Whether you play with or see the other players is irrelevant to that fact.

TheRealMike
01.13.2012 , 09:25 AM | #4
I like that idea. Although I'd love to have my Bounty Hunter aid my Smuggler, I can see how that would be difficult to work out.

Also, there will be Bind On Legacy equipment - whatever that means. ^^
Just point me in the direction of the action!

Vis_Vires
01.13.2012 , 09:29 AM | #5
Excellent idea. It would really make rolling an alt worthwhile.

LordSatoh
01.13.2012 , 09:30 AM | #6
That actually sounds pretty cool.
Peace is a lie...

Lockyda
01.13.2012 , 09:32 AM | #7
This is an awesome Idea I could totally have an evil Sentinal running around with my sage!

rangerlump
01.13.2012 , 09:33 AM | #8
I cant seem to find the upvote button......

LIKE IT!!!

Angellus
01.13.2012 , 09:34 AM | #9
But what would you do about Class Story associated with an alt?

If i were a Marauder and i was leveling a Sorc Healing Alt or BH Tank Alt, then wouldn't i loose out on my alts story arcs when leveling them alongside my main only doing my mains quests.

I could see them possibly implementing a the story elements as "playable companion mission" rather than the cutscenes that setup mission that they go on off screen. However it wouldn't be the same.
Darth Angellus Frost (Marauder)
Nevermore Sword of Ajunta Pall Follow the link to apply

swdrgn
01.13.2012 , 09:37 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealMike View Post
I like that idea. Although I'd love to have my Bounty Hunter aid my Smuggler, I can see how that would be difficult to work out.

Also, there will be Bind On Legacy equipment - whatever that means. ^^
Oh I would too as a "uneasy temperary alliance" feel to it, but it would just be very unrealistic from a story/faction mode.

Imagine your Sith assasin ordered to slaughter republic troops as your Republic Trooper alt companion is standing behind you mowing his own guys down with a gun. lol
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Trolls suddenly flamed the forums and were suddenly banned."