Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gunnery vs. Assualt Spec?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
Gunnery vs. Assualt Spec?

zacger
01.15.2012 , 12:10 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBearSniper View Post
What are you doing with this spec again? If this is a pure min max spec parallitic combat stims is not useful, get one of the alacarity talents. Also cover fire is a useless talent. Because of the delay in full auto in almost any situation pve or pvp it will never actually hits in time.

Crimson_Merc
01.15.2012 , 04:05 AM | #32
I am a Commando going up the Gunnery tree and I am almost level 40. I like Commando a lot, but I feel like for my level I am still getting knocked around quite a bit and I am unable to finish mobs as fast as I would like.

I have thought about possibly going Assault instead, can anyone give me any tips or point me in the right direct?

FIGHTorFIGHT
01.15.2012 , 04:10 AM | #33
Just hit 50 and honestly I feel assault is the best dps spec.

The problem with gunnery is you can't put out damage quickly since need at least 2 grav rounds to do a big spike whereas assault can constantly spam damage.

Also if you can get the plasma cell dot, inc round dot, and plasma nade dot on someone then Assault plastiqe -- HiB -- full auto -- HiB its a massive amount of damage, especially when they go below 30% and all those dots are constantly critting.

The other advantage of assault is that hammer shot becomes extremely powerful by adding the dot and doing bonus damage to targets on fire as well as slow.

Gunnery has its place and will do slightly higher damage under ideal conditions, but assault does pretty much the same or higher with none of the glaring weaknesses.

I was amazed with how much damage assault was the first time I used it in pvp. Double the damage I was doing with gunnery because my mobility and survivability shot way up.

Secured
01.15.2012 , 04:23 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by FIGHTorFIGHT View Post
Just hit 50 and honestly I feel assault is the best dps spec.

The problem with gunnery is you can't put out damage quickly since need at least 2 grav rounds to do a big spike whereas assault can constantly spam damage.
you confused gunnery for assault, right? Oh no... you write something about grav round... ok, seems you are a bit confused. Gunnery is the Nuke Tree... Assault is Dot, kiting and a bit AoE. it doesnt really kill, it just prepares the opponents to get killed by someone who actually can spike.

srsly, if something only counts as fast, if you kill everything with one shot, go play space invaders. Grav, Grav/demo, Grav/Hib is a rotation thats finished in 4.5 seconds and kills everything but tanks, granted that someone else is doin a bit damage and they arent guarded or get healed (ye, i didnt add the global cooldown, because you can avoid it by pressing the skill you want to use next about 0.4 seconds before the currently casting skill ends).

Grav+hib/demo pretty much do they're damage at the same time if you time it. that means you'll land 4000 to 6000 dmg instantly. you dont even need to have gravs or charges stacked. if you plan on spiking with a grp, just charge your hib buff on other enemys.

FIGHTorFIGHT
01.15.2012 , 12:44 PM | #35
You missed a lot of what I said and clearly don't have much experience with assault.

It can nuke pretty much just as hard as gunnery can.

If a meele jumps on you, or a sorc starts ccing / dammage good luck getting 2 grav rounds off.

I said under ideal condition gunnery will do slightly more damage, but if those situations do not come you can't do anything.

TeddyBearSniper
01.15.2012 , 01:05 PM | #36
See now you guys are making me consider assault. Well, atleast I'm only lvl 14.

Keep debating. I want to know which is better.
Sorcerer || Sniper || Guardian

Must read thread:
Cantina Entertainment v.4.5

Crimson_Merc
01.15.2012 , 06:54 PM | #37
I think I am going to try assault for awhile and see how I like it, for some reason Gunnery is just really frustrating me.

universal_kalle
01.15.2012 , 08:02 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBearSniper View Post
Keep debating. I want to know which is better.
One isn't inherently better than the other. I'm constantly topping the damage with both specs in warzones (and PvE). Assault requires less charging up than Gunnery but at the same time won't get full effect out of it's attacks unless the fight lasts longer than your standard hardmode flashpoint mobs (which dies in a few seconds). Gunnery will do massive damage if you can stand still and nuke. Assault will allow you to keep doing good damage even while moving. Assault is also great for dealing with melee as you can kite 'em. Gunnery is more ammo efficient but once you go low your damage will plumet (assuming you've already used your CDs). Assault has higher upfront ammo costs but with the skill Adrenaline Fueled you've got good ammo recovery mechanics.

Do you see what I'm getting at? They've both got their strengths and weaknesses. It mostly comes down to individual playstyles.
For leveling I'd probably pick Gunnery though. PvP? Dunno, they both have merit. But at the end of the day I think I prefer the mobility of Assault. Unless I'm playing late at night and just wanna shoot Grav Rounds while half asleep ^^ But that's just me.
"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but ugly is there for everyone to see", Kevin Gilbert (1966-1996)

jedistreen
01.15.2012 , 08:11 PM | #39
I played gunnery till level 20, then switched to assault. In many PvE situations as gunnery, I found myself getting roflpwned by anything that could hit hard and close distance, while as assault I'm able to kite with more efficiency.

Assault does however do less burst, so you might be taking a little longer to kill stuff. Assault also has worse ammo management, but I'm perfectly fine with that.

Overall: (from a level 28 trooper)

gunnery = more burst, less mobility.

assault = less burst, more mobility.

Jerwa
01.15.2012 , 08:51 PM | #40
For those who dps as Assault....what are the stat priorities? How are they different than the rest of the trees?
“An army of one man, but the right man for the job!”