Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Copying the game files...

TScarp
12.14.2011 , 09:11 AM | #1
Hey everyone!

Happy emails to anyone who's got early access! I haven't received mine yet, but here's hoping soon.

I just wanted to see if anyone knew if you could copy the Star Wars game folder from one PC to another, and successfully still use the program.

I know you can't do this with most programs, but it is possible with World of Warcraft (not to bring up the OTHER people). I was just wondering if anyone knew if this was possible with SWTOR.

Thanks for the replies.

~Tscarp

Ahkronn
12.14.2011 , 09:13 AM | #2
Nothing like trying

If you try and it won't work, try to repair. It might be due to system Registry. Repair may work in that case.

Anyway, if you do try, tell us if it worked.

Quaxo
12.14.2011 , 09:14 AM | #3
Yes, you can.

TScarp
12.14.2011 , 09:15 AM | #4
Thanks for the reply!

I'm building a new PC and it won't be ready until next week, so early next week would be the soonest I can try.

I'll try it and update though.

Thanks!

Mckor
12.14.2011 , 09:15 AM | #5
You can, sort of. Here's what you do:

1. Run the setup program on the second computer, let it complete.

2. Launch SWTOR, login, and let it start patching.

3. When it does, exit the launcher.

4. Now, copy the complete files from the first computer to the one you just setup.

5. Start the launcher on the second computer again, should work fine.

I've been doing this to work on a wrapper for the game for OS X, and so far no troubles, as long as I let the setup program run all the way through first.

Jarlathe
12.14.2011 , 09:16 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TScarp View Post
Hey everyone!

Happy emails to anyone who's got early access! I haven't received mine yet, but here's hoping soon.

I just wanted to see if anyone knew if you could copy the Star Wars game folder from one PC to another, and successfully still use the program.

I know you can't do this with most programs, but it is possible with World of Warcraft (not to bring up the OTHER people). I was just wondering if anyone knew if this was possible with SWTOR.

Thanks for the replies.

~Tscarp
Hi there!

I have done this and it has worked flawlessly for me. The steps I use are outlined below.

1) Download the setup file to the computer that you want to copy the game files to and run it.

2) Once it has finished the setup, if the launch is run close it.

3) Copy the game files from the computer that has them to the computer that you want them on. Once it is done, run the launch and it will verify the files and start the game.

As a side not, you can also just copy the game files over and run the repair tool, but I've found this to be hit and miss as to whether the game will run. The above way works 100% of the time.

Hope this helps.
. All hail the hypnodot.

Collusion is not an illusion.