Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Armstech - completely worthless

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Armstech - completely worthless

Swoz
01.13.2012 , 12:00 PM | #21
Armstech is nice for one reason right now, gearing alts.

That's about it.
=Swoz

Pherdnut
01.13.2012 , 12:17 PM | #22
Can you find end-game mods for oranges with the same stat? For instance, can you get 4 power mods into an orange blaster?

I'm playing like 8 characters at once and nobody's at 50 yet but my impression of the balancing philosophy is that purples give you greater ability to focus on a specific stat. If you want to load up on crit or power for instance I don't think you can get the same levels of that out of mods.

With guns at least there's greens that start off with all manner of useful stats to combo. Then you can RE blues that will stack with that stat and purples that will stack with that stat further. Then you augment further stacking that stat.

If BW made it possible to achieve the same level of focus with modded oranges, then yes, I would say Armstech is better for grabbing level-appropriate blues and/or purples as you go.

Otherwise, I would say most of the Armstech QQers at 50 don't really know the mechanics of the game as well as they should and I look forward to demonstrating what a properly geared Dirty Fighting gunslinger can do to somebody wearing bandwagon gear when I get there. As it is, I'm already scoring top damage in PVP matches at level 32 with my "useless" purple Mastercraft pistols and not even close to optimal armor.

And yes, awesome for leveling. Supremely awesome for handing killer weapons down to friends and alts at lower levels. My personal verdict for 50 is not yet established but judging on what people are saying, I'm not convinced Armstech is at all useless at 50.
Amurrka, Malfunction, Skeeve, Derp, Deeva, Orinj @Dreshdae Cantina

"QQ!"

Sivlar
01.13.2012 , 12:46 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Pherdnut View Post
Can you find end-game mods for oranges with the same stat? For instance, can you get 4 power mods into an orange blaster?
You mention you are lvl 32, at your level purple crafted gear is fine. An orange is better though as your purple will soon be out leveled and you will have no way of upgrading it's sub-par stats. The damage you see in WZ's is from bolster, and you must not have anyone 50 in the WZ wearing Battlemaster or Champ gear if you are topping the parse.

If you shop around or have access to crafters in your guild that have taken the time to rev-eng purples. An orange blaster can be modded out with a purple barrel, mod, and enhancement and deliver better stats than any purple crafted gun you will find before 50.

I have several orange guns from various levels, all of them are either on par or have better stats than a crafted purple of equal level. On top of that you can upgrade them, purple guns you cannot. We cannot craft orange guns that are below lvl 48, and the ones we can do not have good stats and require a BoP mat only dropped in hardmode raids.

After you hit 50, you will find that any crafted purple gun well, just sucks compared to what you can do with an orange gun using the purple barrels/mods/enhancements you get on Ilum. If I recall correctly the highest rank item you can make is 22, the stuff on Ilum is either 23 or 24. The 50 PvP and flashpoint guns are also better than anything you will ever craft and are fairly easy to get.

As it is now, Armstech is the least viable crafting skill.

microg
01.17.2012 , 10:22 AM | #24
Armstech being worthless at lvl 50, as it is, also means investigation is worthless as a skill too, as all it does is provide armstech with it's unique mats. There's absolutely zero demand for investigation items on the GTN, and yes I know they don't show under investigation but insted under scavenging (fix easy bugs pls...). Give armstech something worthwhile to make at endgame, and you just fixed two broken crew skills!

DarthTHC
01.17.2012 , 11:07 AM | #25
Can you make techblades?

Sensimilias
01.17.2012 , 12:54 PM | #26
I change it with Biochem!!! Armstech gives only weapons for companions and alts!!!
It is totally useless atm!!!! Also no cash from market to sell something!!! It is like you have no profession at all!!! Fix professions! Specially armstech!!! Biochem is really powerfoul!!

Lyynk
01.17.2012 , 01:42 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by haralin View Post
i dropped it for biochem it was a very good decision for a ton more utility!
qft

gnarf
01.23.2012 , 04:54 AM | #28
I'd like to add that the Purple Level 50 Sniper Rifles may state they are rating 124, but in actuality only give you a damage of the base green - not sure if this is true with other weapons as I haven't bothered testing, but the purple wraith elite is definitely doing the exact same amount of damage on the tooltip and in testing as its green version.

OniHouse
01.23.2012 , 05:36 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by QuickSaveTV View Post
LOL!!! I'm really sorry I understand your frustration, Im a Armstech myself, but the final conclusion is just so funny.

Anyway, on topic, I think they should really overhaul Crafting mechanics as right now I feel easily replacable person with my silly barrels...
My bounty hunter was an Armstech... hes now a Biochem.
My Assassin tank was an Synthweaver... shes now a... you can guess it... Biochem!(after making the 2 rakata pieces ofc)

Biochem>all

OT: Armstech was slightly useful while lvling if you make epic barrels for yourself but that's about it. It has 0 use once your level 50 because as said the daily token vendor sells better barrels then you can make and most items don't have barrel slots.

Would be really interested to hear why armstech is the only crew skill without rakata BoP patterns.

Kanana
01.23.2012 , 06:00 AM | #30
Good to gear up alts. The things you craft usually are better than what they can loot while leveling up. That's about it.