Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

the original books

RymahFett
01.12.2012 , 07:45 AM | #1
I am interested in reading the original 9 books just wondering if I start at 7 will I miss a lot ? or did the movies do a good job?

KnightDLR
01.12.2012 , 08:40 AM | #2
The first 6 books were basically written using the movie scripts, so you're not going to miss a lot...maybe a little more depth to the characters. The Zahn novels technically aren't 7-9...though, in my opinion, they'd make great movies in their own right.
Some people just need a high-five...in the face...with a chair.

Morridini
01.12.2012 , 08:45 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by RymahFett View Post
I am interested in reading the original 9 books just wondering if I start at 7 will I miss a lot ? or did the movies do a good job?
There are no original books, they first made the movies, and then wrote some adaptations that really isn't worth the read. Go straight for the Zahn/Thrawn trilogy if you want.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Arostu
01.12.2012 , 09:30 AM | #4
The Zahn trilogy kickstarted the SW saga again; I credit them for all the SW activity post Return.

jarjarloves
01.12.2012 , 09:37 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Morridini View Post
There are no original books, they first made the movies, and then wrote some adaptations that really isn't worth the read. Go straight for the Zahn/Thrawn trilogy if you want.
prety much this with the exception of Splinter In the Minds Eye which was written before the first movie but they used an early draft of the script as guidance.

But I'm pretty sure they said that book isn't canon any more so....

ReciprocityGK
01.12.2012 , 09:41 AM | #6
Go straight for the Zahn/Thrawn trilogy if you want.
This. Zahn's books were fantastic and the only SW novels I ever felt were not total garbage.

Wolfninjajedi
01.12.2012 , 11:01 AM | #7
Wait nvrm I get what you mean.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

psandak
01.12.2012 , 04:05 PM | #8
I do not know that I agree with that. WAY back when the movies first came out, I read the ESB and RotJ novelizations and there were some interesting pieces to the stories that never made it into the movies.

But as others have said, the Zahn trilogy is excellent.

Vecke
01.12.2012 , 04:12 PM | #9
I disagree entirely. The novel adaptations of the Star Wars movies are very much worth reading. They are by far the best Star Wars novels out there (IMO). They really add to the films.

In Episode IV, you get to know Biggs on a much more personal level.
In the Jedi novelization, the unspoken war going on between Luke and the Emperor on the Death Star is spectacular. And the Jedi novelization really deals with just how close Luke came to the dark side.
And the Episode 3 novelization is a great book and makes Anakin's fall much more realistic.

For me, the movie novelizations fix pretty much every complaint I had with the movies. Well worth reading.
"I know."

Wolfninjajedi
01.12.2012 , 05:53 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Vecke View Post
I disagree entirely. The novel adaptations of the Star Wars movies are very much worth reading. They are by far the best Star Wars novels out there (IMO). They really add to the films.

In Episode IV, you get to know Biggs on a much more personal level.
In the Jedi novelization, the unspoken war going on between Luke and the Emperor on the Death Star is spectacular. And the Jedi novelization really deals with just how close Luke came to the dark side.
And the Episode 3 novelization is a great book and makes Anakin's fall much more realistic.

For me, the movie novelizations fix pretty much every complaint I had with the movies. Well worth reading.
Not to mention it goes more in depth with how Luke became a jedi and you see he was fully trained by ROTJ, the movies can only shove so much into it where with novels you can add so much more because the only thing a writer is limited by imagination.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.