overily greedy?

i'll admit i'm still an mmo 'virgin' with only playing FFXI and WoW (got bored after 2 months......seriously) and love well made rpgs and this is one of them. with that aside with my current sage healer during flashpoints,heroics and such when loot is dropped, unless its something my character can actually use i.e. light armor/sabers i will attepmt to roll for it. now if its something unusable by my character that drops and i notice the other player(s) can use it i'll just pass on it. yet when something i need does drop the other player rolls for it with me and usually gets it. is it just me or is there really no etiquette regarding useable drops for players? and yes i have had one person have the balls enough to attempt to sell me an item i could of used greatly when it was dropped during a fp on taris

Welcome to MMO's. It sucks, I never do it, neither should you but there is no real solution until a "need on use" option is added. All you can do is take note of the ***** that cheat you and not group with them again.

My rule is Need if I can and will use it, greed if a companion can and will use it, pass otherwise.