Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Highest DPS sage or shadow?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular
Highest DPS sage or shadow?

CreationXII
01.11.2012 , 10:49 PM | #1
Hi all just rolled a Consular and wanted to know your thoughts on which has the ability to do more dps if specced towards it, Sage or Shadow?

Thanks!

VonSoot
01.12.2012 , 09:09 AM | #2
Both do great dps... Here's the distinction imo:
  • Sage: AOE / DoTs / Ranged
  • Shadow: Burst / Melee

As for respeccing in the future if you are tired of dps:
  • Shadow: DPS / Tank
  • Sage: DPS / Healer

Hope this helps. I personally love my Sage, but Shadow looks fun too; was a hard choice at 10.

Master Soot Starbeard
Jedi Sage, 7/18/16
<Feds> Republic of the Death Wind Corridor

LastDarkness
01.12.2012 , 09:25 AM | #3
They both do comparable damage though Shadow could use some buffs to their entire class.

Right now its just easier for more players to go balance Sage since you put out alot of damage from ranged.

melee dps has problems still in game.
- I walk the Darkest of Roads, That of Eternal Death. -
Check Out My SmartPhone App Suggestion.

thejumpingsheep
01.15.2012 , 01:38 AM | #4
The sage will always out-dps a shadow simply because when faced with actual combat the shadow has no choice but to run when health is low while the sage can simply heal and keep doing damaging. In other words, the sage will outlast the shadow.

Also, shadow dps is very low compared to other classes. My level 21 scoundrel heal spec does about as much damage as my 35 shadow tank spec and she can easily heal herself and her pet while at it. On my shadow I am constantly fiddling with interrupts and defense shields and switching agro between myself and my pets (unless im using the annoying healer) so his damage output is pathetic but he can tank fairly well.

Shadows are kind of unloved right now. Even if you spec into dps as a shadow you will still be mediocre compared to range classes or healers for the reason I spoke of above. Range classes can always stay away from battle but you have no choice but to charge in as a shadow especially once stealth is broken.

JeRune
01.15.2012 , 05:37 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by thejumpingsheep View Post
The sage will always out-dps a shadow simply because when faced with actual combat the shadow has no choice but to run when health is low while the sage can simply heal and keep doing damaging. In other words, the sage will outlast the shadow.

Also, shadow dps is very low compared to other classes. My level 21 scoundrel heal spec does about as much damage as my 35 shadow tank spec and she can easily heal herself and her pet while at it. On my shadow I am constantly fiddling with interrupts and defense shields and switching agro between myself and my pets (unless im using the annoying healer) so his damage output is pathetic but he can tank fairly well.

Shadows are kind of unloved right now. Even if you spec into dps as a shadow you will still be mediocre compared to range classes or healers for the reason I spoke of above. Range classes can always stay away from battle but you have no choice but to charge in as a shadow especially once stealth is broken.
What exactly are we talking about here? Solo PvE, group PvE, PvP? Because in a group PvE scenario the things you mention are completely irrelevant. DPS between Sage and Shadow are actually pretty close. Why would a Sage want to heal him/herself in e.g. a boss fight? Healing abilities take time to cast, time which could've (should've) been spent DPS'ing. As a DPS you should avoid getting damage or if that fails get healed.
E:80 A:73 K:33 S:13 "Filled out Friday's Fail Form yet?"

Spoiler

dronepilot
01.15.2012 , 06:42 AM | #6
Quote:
Really ? then tell my friend that who is also a sage, who tried to do exactly what you just wrote here, in a Warzone - but was unable to heal herself. I am a little skeptic about that comment. I am a shadow DPS and I do comparable damage with my healer sage friend, I have noticed some times I have increased my damage considering the amount of times I can crit.

Quote:
This is generally an imbalance here and I have noticed it myself between the levels where lower level imp classes can out do much higher level shadows - by about and up to 10 levels. Some abilities some classes get when they are still in there 20's to me seems to be OP. Many people I have spoken to on the Republic side's tend to agree.

Quote:
I have been saying to my friends on here for a few weeks, its like the Shadow in this game was added last minute, as an after thought, its not polished, and has lots of weaknesses in its class. The cool downs are terrible when you need to cast force spells to get resilience or Force of Will.

These are basically the only tools we have to fend of force and tech based attacks, half the time the delays cause you to die anyway because they take too long to activate. Oh and we get 1 stun ability ?? While IMPS can stun you and AOE almost relentlessly. Force Cloak can be seen right through by IMPs who are high level, basically you can't escape anyway if your seen by a mob of IMPS.

In a situation where your being over run its best to just start sweeping your light saber, and generate lots of threat, rather the character dies while doing as much damage as possible, so other republic players can hopefully come in and finish them off. I suppose a Shadows life is all about sacrifice.

rantyr
01.15.2012 , 09:28 AM | #7
Completely disagree about Shadow being subpar. There's myself and others who are shadow and assassins on our server and we put out just as much and generally more damage than any other class. Every once in awhile a Sage/Inquis will top the charts but not often.

Anyone trying to dps when tank speced should expect lower damage. Shadows who are having issues with damage are either specced incorrectly or not using their abilities correctly.

The classes that out dps us consistently are IA/Scoundrel, but they out dps everyone right now.

MithrilSoul
01.15.2012 , 09:41 AM | #8
In multi-target situations, of course a sage is going to out-DPS a shadow for the simple reason that the sage has many, powerful AoE attacks.

In single-target sitautions, a DPS-Shadow will likely out-DPS a DPS-Sage, though it will probably be relatively close.

If you want to start comparing a fully healing-specced Sage to a fully tanking-specced Shadow, the results are going to be similar. AoE situations, the Sage will rule. Single-target sitautions, the Shadow will rule.
Varwe, lvl 50 Mirialan Jedi Shadow tank
Chief Officer, Ring of Destiny
recruiting mature, semi-casual players of all classes on Jedi Covenant server
Honor ~ Loyalty ~ Respect

Zhifu
01.15.2012 , 11:21 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by rantyr View Post
Completely disagree about Shadow being subpar. There's myself and others who are shadow and assassins on our server and we put out just as much and generally more damage than any other class. Every once in awhile a Sage/Inquis will top the charts but not often.

Anyone trying to dps when tank speced should expect lower damage. Shadows who are having issues with damage are either specced incorrectly or not using their abilities correctly.

The classes that out dps us consistently are IA/Scoundrel, but they out dps everyone right now.
I am highly suspicious how well SI/SH will do once they fight full 50s in champ gear.

Project and force breach can only carry you so far.

Playing a SI/SH is like gambling. If all your procs are up and crits, you win the jackpot. If not, you get your *** beaten by the bouncer.

Niddhog
01.15.2012 , 11:38 AM | #10
I'm just wondering how yall can compare dps without any meters ._.

Pvp scoreboards =/= dps meter

You can only -roughly- gauge dps differences in questing by figuring out how much more/less -consistently- someone is kiling over you (ruling out someone using AoE to help kill someone else's mob, etc). And then.... who is to say both of you are performing at peak efficiency (with the correct specs)? So many damned variables here.

What I'm saying is its hard enough to say x spec is y% less than z even in ideal circumstances, yet alone in pvp/questing with such a small sample pool (that one scoundrel I grouped with....) or realistically comparing an alt+main side by side?