Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I feel a bit sexist for saying this, but there are too damn many female leaders.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I feel a bit sexist for saying this, but there are too damn many female leaders.

Malderak
01.12.2012 , 06:33 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
The Samurai, acknowledged as the greatest warriors ever seen ruled for nine hundred years and used women in combat regularly, some of the greatest archers and Naginata riders were women, some of the greatest warriors in Samurai history were women, you really want to debate Women in the military with a woman who was training as a Samurai for nearly her entire life till the age of twenty two?

Also, claiming strength has anything to do with how good you are in combat is nothing but an exercise in futility, Skill is what is required in combat, not strength, you can be as strong as you want but if you don't have the skill and knowledge to use that strength, i guarantee you'd find yourself on the floor crying after picking a fight with someone who does know their ****.

And as a matter of fact, if you bothered reading, you'd realise the OP IS being sexist, he's just trying to cover it up with some half-assed attempt at recognizing equality.

And hell just for the sake of it, Plenty of women have shown that they can be just as strong as men can be, it isn't that they lack the physical capabilities, its that most women seek beauty first and foremost, the will to be strong for men is a very different picture, they want to be strong.
But what was the male vs. female ratio of samurai? Massively in favor of the first.

Second paragraph is absurd, do I also have to explain why there are separate brackets for men and women in all sports??? Including fighting sports??????

In the human species men are considerably larger and bulkier than women, that's not sexism, it's biology, skill only gets you so far, especially in ancient times were armor and close combat weapons were used, being larger and stronger gives you an advantage in any hand to hand fight unarmed or with medieval weaponry, to claim otherwise is naive.

Sykres
01.12.2012 , 06:46 AM | #22

And hell just for the sake of it, Plenty of women have shown that they can be just as strong as men can be, it isn't that they lack the physical capabilities, its that most women seek beauty first and foremost, the will to be strong for men is a very different picture, they want to be strong.

I'm sorry, but if you took the strongest (physically) woman in the world she wouldn't even come close to the strongest man in the world...

Rayla_Felana
01.12.2012 , 06:46 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Malderak View Post
But what was the male vs. female ratio of samurai? Massively in favor of the first.

Second paragraph is absurd, do I also have to explain why there are separate brackets for men and women in all sports??? Including fighting sports??????

In the human species men are considerably larger and bulkier than women, that's not sexism, it's biology, skill only gets you so far, especially in ancient times were armor and hand to hand weapons were used, being larger and stronger gives you an advantage in any hand to hand fight unarmed or with medieval weaponry, to claim otherwise is naive.
Actually, all those women at home with the kids, weren't maidens in distress, they were also trained to defend the house and village should the men be away, they were all Samurai, hence the reason why Samurai lived in their own villages, of course, the women weren't nearly as well trained as the men, as they had other things to perfect, but the point stands, the numerical difference is nowhere near as big as many make it out to be.

It is nothing like absurd, The reasoning for this is purely based on 'Men don't hit women' and because males generally feel uncomfortable when faced with a woman in almost all sports.

Now yes there are biological differences, but those differences do not inherently state women cannot in any way be as strong as men, that's a stereotype, it is down to the individual not the gender group, Are you claiming a very thin man is inherently superior in strength to a bulky female, purely because he is a man? now that would be absurd, You will find that in many countries, women and men are put together in tournaments purely because the differentiation isn't nearly as large as you'll find in many western societies.

Rayla_Felana
01.12.2012 , 06:48 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykres View Post
I'm sorry, but if you took the strongest (physically) woman in the world she wouldn't even come close to the strongest man in the world...
If we are talking about known athletes then yes of course, That is simply because there are nowhere near as many women body builders in the world as there are men, the reasoning for this i have already stated beforehand.

Game_Hermit
01.12.2012 , 06:52 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Malderak View Post
No, he's right actually. Know what got me into martial arts? A friend bet me he could put me on the floor with one finger and won. Nailed me right in the solar plexus. My lungs clenched up and exhaled all my air and got stuck like that. I tried so hard for so long to breathe in that when my lungs finally moved I breathed too fast and coughed so hard I puked. That's the day I realized size is completely irrelevant. The next day is the day I signed up for classes with a former world champion and then Texas regional director of the ATA (American Taekwondo Association). His assistant teacher was a woman and I'd bet everything I own that she could take any 2 guys on this forum at the same time. That includes me.
Han shot first.

Mechavomit
01.12.2012 , 06:54 AM | #26

Are you claiming a very thin man is inherently superior in strength to a bulky female, purely because he is a man?
You see what is happening because of all that "equality"?
It's now normal for man to be weaker than a female... Now I'm not implying that a female can't be strong, but still, I like a strong male. But it just seems that society encourages males to be "less stronger", because it's OK now.

Also, women do differ from men on a mental level. Women are more emotional, they handle stress differently.

Sykres
01.12.2012 , 06:57 AM | #27
If we are talking about known athletes then yes of course, That is simply because there are nowhere near as many women body builders in the world as there are men, the reasoning for this i have already stated beforehand.
It has nothing to do with the amount of women in body building. Just look up world records for bench press, squats, and dead lifts yourself.... There is a huge gap between the two.

Malderak
01.12.2012 , 07:02 AM | #28
Actually, all those women at home with the kids, weren't maidens in distress, they were also trained to defend the house and village should the men be away, they were all Samurai, hence the reason why Samurai lived in their own villages, of course, the women weren't nearly as well trained as the men, as they had other things to perfect, but the point stands, the numerical difference is nowhere near as big as many make it out to be.

It is nothing like absurd, The reasoning for this is purely based on 'Men don't hit women' and because males generally feel uncomfortable when faced with a woman in almost all sports.

Now yes there are biological differences, but those differences do not inherently state women cannot in any way be as strong as men, that's a stereotype, it is down to the individual not the gender group, Are you claiming a very thin man is inherently superior in strength to a bulky female, purely because he is a man? now that would be absurd, You will find that in many countries, women and men are put together in tournaments purely because the differentiation isn't nearly as large as you'll find in many western societies.
You are putting words into my mouth.

Fact: the AVERAGE strength of a man is greater than the AVERAGE strength of a woman. In every culture, and every society. Does that mean that there aren't weak men and strong women? No. Does that mean that that women in the military are significantly less than men, in any society and culture? Yes. And it's not only a matter of strength, men are naturally more aggressive and violent, on a biological level, not just because society says so, this also plays a huge part in the matter.

You are the one that said that in combat skill is all that matters. So I ask you, if that is true, why does boxing have separate brackets based on weight? Try to put a Lightweight againts a superheavyweight of the exact same skill level, and see what happens.

Rayla_Felana
01.12.2012 , 07:03 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Mechavomit View Post
You see what is happening because of all that "equality"?
It's now normal for man to be weaker than a female... Now I'm not implying that a female can't be strong, but still, I like a strong male. But it just seems that society encourages males to be "less stronger", because it's OK now.

Also, women do differ from men on a mental level. Women are more emotional, they handle stress differently.
I am not arguing that women are stronger than men, i am stating that Women can be AS strong, as long as they have the drive to do so.

Malderak
01.12.2012 , 07:04 AM | #30
I am not arguing that women are stronger than men, i am stating that Women can be AS strong, as long as they have the drive to do so.
Nope, there are separate brackets for men and women in heavylifting, as in all sports. Look up the records for both, you'll notice the difference.