Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I feel a bit sexist for saying this, but there are too damn many female leaders.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I feel a bit sexist for saying this, but there are too damn many female leaders.

Duradel
01.11.2012 , 08:47 PM | #1
A couple spoilers ahead regarding Revan and the Bounty Hunter storyline ahead, just FYI.

So when this chapter of the storyline started, we had the main Empire figures being Emperor Vitiate, Malgus, Keeper (for intelligence), and Mandalore (for the Mandalorians).

On the Republic side, we had Satele Shan, in charge of the Jedi Order, General Garza, in charge of the most elite Republic forces and the face of the Republic military, and Supreme Chancellor Janarus. Later on we got Revan, who i was excited about, believing he was going to play a major role in leading the Republic.

I felt there was something wrong with the Empire gender ratio, but I always liked that the Republic had a nice even half and half ratio of guys and girls.

:Spoilers now:

Later, I find out that the Empire casually kills both Revan and Janarus, preventing Revan from EVER leading and having Janarus replaced with Governer Saresh from Taris (I believe).

That means all the Empire leaders are guys (those still living) and all the Republic leaders and females.

Why? Are you trying to say something about the masculinity of the Republic, Bioware? You couldn't stick a girl in charge of Intelligence or replace Janarus with a strong male character?

I feel sexist for saying it, but it needed to be said.

Stridah
01.11.2012 , 08:54 PM | #2
dont get us started on revan...still pissed about that!

Wolfninjajedi
01.11.2012 , 10:15 PM | #3
Honestly(think I may get hassled for this) I think its ok to be a tad bit sexist, in the sense that it seems to be something in humans that we can't control. I sometimes feel sexist about certain things, i'll admit I know its wrong but I just feel that way I can't control it, it just happens. Its a thing that comes and nags at your for abit.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Duradel
01.11.2012 , 10:29 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Honestly(think I may get hassled for this) I think its ok to be a tad bit sexist, in the sense that it seems to be something in humans that we can't control. I sometimes feel sexist about certain things, i'll admit I know its wrong but I just feel that way I can't control it, it just happens. Its a thing that comes and nags at your for abit.
That's fine and dandy but it doesn't really matter to me, I just want to know why Bioware made every. single. leader female for the Republic. It's ridiculous

ShakespeareZombi
01.11.2012 , 10:34 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Duradel View Post
That's fine and dandy but it doesn't really matter to me, I just want to know why Bioware made every. single. leader female for the Republic. It's ridiculous
Considering with Star Wars track record for female... Anythings. Especially in the movies.. I have no problem with this.

Mechavomit
01.11.2012 , 10:38 PM | #6
I don't think there is anything sexist about being surprised abput the amount of females in the army in this game. There are just some biological differences that make women not suitable for jobs like that. I would never create a female trooper, for example. It just doen't feel right.

And before I get flamed, yes, I am a girl.

ShakespeareZombi
01.11.2012 , 10:58 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Mechavomit View Post
I don't think there is anything sexist about being surprised abput the amount of females in the army in this game. There are just some biological differences that make women not suitable for jobs like that. I would never create a female trooper, for example. It just doen't feel right.

And before I get flamed, yes, I am a girl.
Meh, not really a factor in a space faring age. Physical strength differences between males and females are completely null in an age filled with cybernetics, blasters, and powerful armor. I can see women joining the military for the same reasons as men, and doing the same jobs just as effectively.

Cocox
01.11.2012 , 11:32 PM | #8
Sexist attitude???
Talk to the female twileks about that..

On the other hand, I am a Darth.. and I need slaves..
Hate is the only sustainable emotion one can have. All others are superficial. Even love. One can love today, but not tomorrow or in a few years. Hate on the other hand, when it get's hold of you, it stays with you. It does not diminish, it does not fade. It only grows and gives you more strength than you can ever imagine..

Nilio
01.11.2012 , 11:55 PM | #9
I think the gender split with women on the republic and men on the empire could be to do with their politcal views
Republic = rebuild, protect and seek peace (primitive motherly love)
Empire = war, destruction and dominance (primitive male tendencies)

"War is the province of men" Lord of the Rings by Tolkien

Kashaan
01.12.2012 , 12:10 AM | #10
Just because in our universe, women weren't treated as equals for thousands of years (and still aren't in many places), the Star Wars universe should be the same?

Pro-Addon, but also Pro-regulation. Working to keep addons that do more harm than good out of the game.