Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sith Inquisitor story vs. Sith Warrior (SPOILERS)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Sith Inquisitor story vs. Sith Warrior (SPOILERS)

Punkre
01.14.2012 , 07:05 AM | #41
Yea, at this point all they can do is build on top of the crap. SO hopefully those that stuck it out and played through chapter 3 will get a nice chapter 4+.

I keep hearing people try to defend this class, like Zash is supposedly such and AMAZING character that she alone makes up for a total lack of characters, Or the ****** companions.

Oh yea my favorite: "all mmo quests are fetching quests..." Yea, but the main storyline shouldn't be compared to the everyday grind quests as being equal in storytelling.

I just wanted to scream at them "Zash is going to try and kill you, then Thanaton is going to try and kill you, then you get sick... the end, I just saved you 20+ ****-less hours of boring storyline where your character "wants to be a starship captain."

I think some Harlequin romance authors would laugh at the SI romance Dialogue.
In your pants. I'm alluding to your priorities being in your pants. Like, your wiener or weird lady parts that no one understands because they're all tucked in. That's what I was going for. -Coyote

Heimskringla
01.14.2012 , 07:12 AM | #42
The author they gave the story to was one of their most junior writers. I can't find anything notable that she published in the Star Wars universe (or the science fiction genre) before being given the SI story to write.

Class stories should have been done purely by the big-name, published writers in Bioware's employ.
- I spent $149.95 on a video game with no release date, and all I got was the key to the executive washroom.

lokdron
01.14.2012 , 08:30 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Punkre View Post
Yea, at this point all they can do is build on top of the crap. SO hopefully those that stuck it out and played through chapter 3 will get a nice chapter 4+.

I keep hearing people try to defend this class, like Zash is supposedly such and AMAZING character that she alone makes up for a total lack of characters, Or the ****** companions.

Oh yea my favorite: "all mmo quests are fetching quests..." Yea, but the main storyline shouldn't be compared to the everyday grind quests as being equal in storytelling.

I just wanted to scream at them "Zash is going to try and kill you, then Thanaton is going to try and kill you, then you get sick... the end, I just saved you 20+ ****-less hours of boring storyline where your character "wants to be a starship captain."

I think some Harlequin romance authors would laugh at the SI romance Dialogue.
Yup when the nda was lifted all my internet friends where telling me how the SI story is rubbish and when the game was being developed that was the class I was planning to play first since bioware hyped it as the darth sidious fantasy. I thought korriban was alright but then soon as I hit DK i understood what my friends where talking about i told myself nooo it will get better I kept telling myself that until I hit 50 and finished the SI story it never did get better. The strange thing is that the SI has GREAT gameplay but a really sucky story. which is sad and what is even more sad is I made a sith warrior DS and I felt more like darth sidious than the class that was described as the darth sidious fantasy when the game was in development.

gibmachine
01.14.2012 , 01:36 PM | #44
At least you get to use your iconic ability (lightning) whereas we, as SW, constantly see how fun it is to push someone against a wall during a cutscene and then are left wondering how the **** to do it during actual gameplay.

Feels bad man.

But yeah, I watched almost entire SI storyline on youtube and the idea of fetching random artifacts and then chasing after ghosts to kill a guy who hates you "just because" stinks, especially seeing how SW's act 3 is basically

Spoiler

I really look forward to seeing how the future expansion will expand the story.

Mechavomit
01.14.2012 , 01:49 PM | #45
Is "more powerful character" = "better story" for so many of you? Do you really enjoy being the chosen one who can beat already overpowered chracters with little effort?

Both SI and SW are supposed to be a little over 20 yers old, they are LARVAS compared to the Council, the Darth's, etc. Yet, the SI becomes a member of Council after around a year from being discovered as a force-sensitive, the JK kills the Emperor (the guy who could suck life from a planet, mind you) as a lvl 50 elite, the SW becomes the Wrath.. what? This is what I HATE about the Force-user classes. This Mary Sue feeling. Which is why I'm afraid to know what Biware can come up with to top all that..

I personally would like it this way:
SI start, SW middle part, SI end-ish.. and I hate the finals of both. Because of this munchkiness.
Sure Baras is 100 times cooler than Zash, but then Thanaton appears with all his Force-walking which makes the last quarter of SI more fun than "rawr, I'm butthurt and I hate Baras" part of SW.

Heimskringla
01.14.2012 , 02:27 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Mechavomit View Post
Is "more powerful character" = "better story" for so many of you? Do you really enjoy being the chosen one who can beat already overpowered chracters with little effort?
I'm not sure you read this thread. Sith are about the acquisition of power to achieve their goals. Intimidation, manipulation, politics, murder, corruption, etc. There is almost none of that in the Sith Inquisitor story, and the story was billed as being "Palpatine inspired."

It's not about how powerful each character is by the end but about what they do to get there in the first place. The SW actually plays the "Game of Sith" with Baras, and works via manipulation, cunning, and force to destroy Baras's power base and eventually to supplant Baras.

The SI is portrayed as largely inept without the help of his companions. He doesn't get to corrupt his light-side "apprentice," he doesn't do any cunning or manipulative skulduggery in his quest for power. He goes and collects some artifacts. His master tries to kill him. He bests his master.

Randomly, his master's former nemesis is given to him as an antagonist for act 2 and act 3. Thanaton doesn't really do much to inspire the SI to hate him or view him as a real nemesis. He spends the majority of act 2 and act 3 trying to fix the fact that he played Ghost Buster one too many times in Act 3, with Thanaton being an almost forgotten element for most of the story until the middle/end of Act 3.

I would have loved to see Bioware treat TOR like it was going to be a game with multiple expansions... I didn't want to see my character on the Dark Council at the end of the base game, because there's not a whole lot for him to do after that... he's pretty much at the pinnacle of power.
- I spent $149.95 on a video game with no release date, and all I got was the key to the executive washroom.

Mechavomit
01.14.2012 , 03:46 PM | #47
Quote:
It's not about how powerful each character is by the end but about what they do to get there in the first place. The SW actually plays the "Game of Sith" with Baras, and works via manipulation, cunning, and force to destroy Baras's power base and eventually to supplant Baras.
Yes, I know, but through out the first two acts (depends a little on the choises, but the same overall) the SW is still someone who fetches stuff for Baras. That is why he was picked up in the first place. Which is normal, I guess, because that's how Sith roll. So he doesn't participate in any "games of Sith" until Baras decides to get rid of him (what a shocker). So you character insta changes his mind and goes all angry (totally understandable). But in my opinion, it's too weak. The only reasoning behind the last part of SW story is that he's mad because Baras used him and then just discarded him. That's human, that is not "the game of Sith", it's not power what your character wants, is revenge. So I see no quest for power here.

Quote:
The SI is portrayed as largely inept without the help of his companions. He doesn't get to corrupt his light-side "apprentice," he doesn't do any cunning or manipulative skulduggery in his quest for power.
That's what I like about him. This little bit of comraddery he has with his companions. With the SW, all his companions are forced to work for him, weather they like or not. Exeptions are maybe Broonmark and Jaesa, but if you're dark side, Jaesa following you doesn't make any sense. Quinn and Pierce can't leave once they started, because it's their job now, Vette is a slave. SW doesn't feel connected to his companions, plus, they hate each other.

Deshiel
01.14.2012 , 05:17 PM | #48
He isn't hunting Baras because he's butthurt...

He was ordered to do it by the emperor via his servants.

DarkestDaemon
01.14.2012 , 05:42 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Mechavomit View Post
Yes, I know, but through out the first two acts (depends a little on the choises, but the same overall) the SW is still someone who fetches stuff for Baras. That is why he was picked up in the first place. Which is normal, I guess, because that's how Sith roll. So he doesn't participate in any "games of Sith" until Baras decides to get rid of him (what a shocker). So you character insta changes his mind and goes all angry (totally understandable). But in my opinion, it's too weak. The only reasoning behind the last part of SW story is that he's mad because Baras used him and then just discarded him. That's human, that is not "the game of Sith", it's not power what your character wants, is revenge. So I see no quest for power here.
Wrong.

Prior to Act 3, the Warrior is working to eliminate compromised spies. Hunting down Jaesa and Nomen Karr and then dealing a vicious blow to the Republic by eliminating the heroes of the Republic. It finally comes to light that you're the last loose end Barras needs to tie up, in this he tries to kill you multiple times.

Act 3 is both a mixture of revenge and duty. The Warrior I played was in it to eliminate Barras. I had gone a route with RP that my character had begun to respect and become loyal to Barras, mostly encouraged by Jaesa's promise to never seek to kill my character.

Then with the betrayal, it's sort of a moment of spite and all. Not to mention the fact you are now going to be hunting him for his false claims as the Voice of the Emperor.

Of -course- there are going to be personal goals in it, personal motivation, etc.

Also, the Emperor isn't killed by the Knight. The Voice of the Emperor is.

Logisitcs
01.14.2012 , 06:37 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by lokdron View Post
I heard a rumor that the person who wrote the SI story left bioware to finish college if this is true lets just hope the new writer is better. >_> I even have to say that the BH story is better than the SI one.
LOL LOL LOL I can't stop laughing from this! Why would Bioware get some person who didn't even finish college to write this! Did they run out of money LMAO were they on a budget this is just too funny!

Quote: Originally Posted by Heimskringla View Post
The author they gave the story to was one of their most junior writers. I can't find anything notable that she published in the Star Wars universe (or the science fiction genre) before being given the SI story to write.

Class stories should have been done purely by the big-name, published writers in Bioware's employ.
I just don't understand LMAO why would they get someone like that to write out what would arguably be the most popular class?!?! The quality of their work shows