Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

the tedium of fighting high level silvers is killing this game for me.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
the tedium of fighting high level silvers is killing this game for me.

NYzMikey
01.11.2012 , 08:58 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by BunnyMage View Post
"Dear MMO maker. I have found that something in the game is still somewhat challenging. Please nerf it."

I really hate the mainstream sometimes.

Something that is hard to complete is only enjoyable the first time it is completed. Subsequent completions at the same level of difficulty is tedious.

failr
01.11.2012 , 08:58 PM | #22
Now that I think about it, I do agree with OP. I leveled to 50 with a stealth class and almost every quest just counts total kills so fighting packs with silver mobs is a total waste of time. I now realise that most of the way to 50 I spent trying to avoid silvers through stealth and kill regular mobs instead cause you complete quests twice faster that way.

Ituhata
01.11.2012 , 08:59 PM | #23
Strong mobs at high level require you to use all of your abilities. CC, temporary stuns, knockbacks, everything. You need to especially pay attention to their long casts and interrupt them with any and all available resources.

I personally enjoy the challenge.

failr
01.11.2012 , 09:02 PM | #24
Quote:
Strong mobs at high level require you to use all of your abilities. CC, temporary stuns, knockbacks, everything. You need to especially pay attention to their long casts and interrupt them with any and all available resources.

I didn't find any challenge tbh, as long as you dont agro extra packs and don't forget to click your recuperate after every fight, nothing is challenging, other than soloing group content that I found a bit fun at times.

imscared
01.11.2012 , 09:03 PM | #25
It is pretty annoying, yeah. Especially at higher levels planets such as Hoth and Voss where you'll rarely ever run into mobs that don't have a silver attached to the proxy aggro of a weaker enemy.

AbsoShanks
01.11.2012 , 09:03 PM | #26
There are a few silvers in the game that are borderline too strong, but once you get down the flow of your class, it isn't such a bother anymore.

Also, if they're mixed into groups of little baddies, CC works wonders. This is not the game that you can really face-roll around in with little to no consequence.

zootzoot
01.11.2012 , 09:04 PM | #27
I leveled as a Medic spec Operative using Scorpio to Tank.

For double Strongs I just CC one and we burn the second. DoT, Backstab, Shiv then Debilitate to stun, repeat. It always went pretty fast so I don't see how a DPS would be slower.

For 2 Strongs plus a pile of Weak mobs I would Sleep one Strong the put my Companion on Passive and LOS pull the pack to me then AoE down the Weak mobs while Scorpio holds the Strong. It's fun actually. Kiting, LOS, CC. I feel like I'm playing an MMO again.

JMacneish
01.11.2012 , 09:04 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ituhata View Post

this! and im loveing takeing down lvl 45 mobs at lvl 40, longish fights but very satisfiying imo

Toraxa
01.11.2012 , 09:14 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by BunnyMage View Post
You're complaining that something takes effort to accomplish. The fact that you don't understand how fundamentally ridiculous this is shows that you shouldn't be playing an MMO.
Your masochism shouldn't effect other people.

It has nothing to do with MMOs. I've been playing them since 98, on an almost daily basis. They didn't used to be this way.

Silver levels should be weaker than the player. Not total pushover weak, but pretty close. The thing is, effort is good. Difficulty is good. The problem is that it needs to be balanced. Would you like a game where every monster you face is a boss fight? Where it takes several hours to get through a stage because you're having to do it over and over, and every fight is killing you, or pushing you to your limits? If you do, you're in the minority. That kind of thing wears normal people out. It's why games like Demon Souls and now Dark Souls aren't played by your average gamer.

Look at any game. You tear through normal enemies, as you work your way towards whatever your goal is, and then when you get there, you face a challenge. It has to be paced that way, because the player builds up motivation and begins having fun due to how powerful they feel. This is what makes the boss feel strong, and the peons feel weak, and thus makes the player feel like a hero. When everything is kicking the crap out of you, you just feel weak. You question if you're doing something wrong, you get frustrated, and you lose motivation to play.

This is how the game is for the beginning. However on the last handful of planets they seem to pile more and more silver and gold level mobs onto you. This would be fine so long as the player still feels like they have momentum and are strong, but in a lot of cases it just slows the progress of the quests down. It just doesn't seem to in most cases.

zootzoot
01.11.2012 , 09:16 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Toraxa View Post
Your masochism shouldn't effect other people.

It has nothing to do with MMOs. I've been playing them since 98, on an almost daily basis. They didn't used to be this way.

Silver levels should be weaker than the player. Not total pushover weak, but pretty close. The thing is, effort is good. Difficulty is good. The problem is that it needs to be balanced. Would you like a game where every monster you face is a boss fight? Where it takes several hours to get through a stage because you're having to do it over and over, and every fight is killing you, or pushing you to your limits? If you do, you're in the minority. That kind of thing wears normal people out. It's why games like Demon Souls and now Dark Souls aren't played by your average gamer.

Look at any game. You tear through normal enemies, as you work your way towards whatever your goal is, and then when you get there, you face a challenge. It has to be paced that way, because the player builds up motivation and begins having fun due to how powerful they feel. This is what makes the boss feel strong, and the peons feel weak, and thus makes the player feel like a hero. When everything is kicking the crap out of you, you just feel weak. You question if you're doing something wrong, you get frustrated, and you lose motivation to play.

This is how the game is for the beginning. However on the last handful of planets they seem to pile more and more silver and gold level mobs onto you. This would be fine so long as the player still feels like they have momentum and are strong, but in a lot of cases it just slows the progress of the quests down. It just doesn't seem to in most cases.
Weak mobs are weaker than the player..hence the name. Strong are on par with the player but AI makes them inferior. It's perfect TBH.