Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Unruhe
01.11.2012 , 08:43 PM | #721
Quote: Originally Posted by Fellthar View Post
That is what he is talking about. Please explain how greater visual fidelity of you character and others around could mean anything but better textures in the context of his post. I would seriously love to hear an alternative.
It's simple, really, he didn't come out and say "high rez textures", he didn't come out and say "cutscene-quality textures" he said "greater visual fidelity"

If we have 50% texture compression now, "greater visual fidelity" could be 49% texture compression, 25% texture compression, textures even better than what we have in cutscenes now, it could be bloody anything.

I think the terminology for this is "weasel word". It was a promise of some liquid, intangible amount of improvement, rather than a cut-and-dry "this is our intended goal".

mcfabulous
01.11.2012 , 08:43 PM | #722
Quote: Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
Mmmm, cookies. I am fairly certain that cookies fix everything. Shame on them for not baking cookies. Doesn't matter anyway, even if they did bake cookies they wouldnt be in high resolution unless you were talking to them. And really, who talks to cookies?
what I bought : http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/...ge/oreo100.jpg

Wha I REALLY bought: http://www.taquitos.net/im/sn/CremeBetweens.jpg

Fellthar
01.11.2012 , 08:45 PM | #723
Quote: Originally Posted by United_Strafes View Post
But I'm not wrong nor has anyone said I am. Nowhere does he say they are working on bring the hi-res textures into the game. Cya guy, your previous posts are more that reason enough for anyone to discount however you try to save face. The difference between someone who pretends to know what they're talking about in a forum such as this is that there are many here that actually do, and we can automatically recognize persons such as yourself that don't have a clue,

And go as far in thier frustration as to report very vanilla comments such as you have. Like I said several pages ago quit while you're behind.
Reread the thread from where we started talking if you want to see where others said you were wrong. You clearly skimmed over those ones.

Adamant
01.11.2012 , 08:46 PM | #724
Quote: Originally Posted by mcfabulous View Post
Lol, I have a strange sense of pride in the fact we just summed up an entire thread with cookie comparisons.

mcfabulous
01.11.2012 , 08:46 PM | #725
Quote: Originally Posted by Fellthar View Post
Blech, I hated Rift. I would wait for GW2 maybe, if you still feel like playing fantasy. Or skip the mmo scene altogether and play single player games. That is where the good graphics really are.

There really isn't any other mmo that I consider fun right now. SWTOR may have its issues, but it is better than what else is out there (my personal opinion only, don't flame me *ducks and covers* !).
Wouldn't flame you for giving me advice haha

I've been thinking about Single Players, but I feel like I'm about to leave one >.>

The MMO grind is pretty tiresome though. Haven't played portal 2 yet, maybe I'll get that bad boy.

Quote: Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
Lol, I have a strange sense of pride in the fact we just summed up an entire thread with cookie comparisons.
Its basically how I feel, when I go somewhere with old people and they say OH I BROUGHT COOKIES, and hand me those vanilla rip off things...

Fellthar
01.11.2012 , 08:47 PM | #726
Quote: Originally Posted by Unruhe View Post
It's simple, really, he didn't come out and say "high rez textures", he didn't come out and say "cutscene-quality textures" he said "greater visual fidelity"

If we have 50% texture compression now, "greater visual fidelity" could be 49% texture compression, 25% texture compression, textures even better than what we have in cutscenes now, it could be bloody anything.

I think the terminology for this is "weasel word". It was a promise of some liquid, intangible amount of improvement, rather than a cut-and-dry "this is our intended goal".
I agree this is within the realm of possibility, but I see no reason to assume this unless they say otherwise. He was talking about hi res textures and the thread was about hi res textures, so one should probably assume that was what he meant. Why try to read between the lines on his post? Stephen is probably just reguritating tech talk that the devs give him anyway.

Jessicayla
01.11.2012 , 08:48 PM | #727
Pretty much what this guy said:

"Could we get an interrim fix where just our own characters are rendered with high rez textures.. So we can look at ourselves and not see an smudged blob?

The textures are fine when we run around looking at other players, but we spend quite a bit more time staring at our own player and I personally would like that to look a little crisper.. "
Unsubscribed until further notice.

Your_dominus
01.11.2012 , 08:48 PM | #728
Quote: Originally Posted by Luxora View Post
If you really feel that people are too stupid to be trusted to select their own settings, here's a solution. Have the launcher run a scan at the first time you launch the game, let it detect what a PC's specs are and then set Low/Medium/High/whatever accordingly, and gray out any higher options that they cannot run without severe framerate loss.
Except I'm not pc illiterate. I'm an avid pc gamer.
I've never once used " can you run it", or the like, and typically completly ignore default settings when a game client scans hardware.

Hell some times games don't even recognise hardware properly.
Skyrim will default to medium with a 7970.
I remember Oblivion defaulted to medium on my 1950xtx, some 7 years ago.

It would not be cool. AT ALL, if a game hard locked to certain settings.

IMO, if you are half pc illiterate, and don't know what settings are or why your fps are low when you pick high settings, you should just play Xbox.
That or start learning stuff.
The self entitled ( I just wanna press the shiny go button and play !) and uneducated get what they get.

Fellthar
01.11.2012 , 08:50 PM | #729
Wouldn't flame you for giving me advice haha

I've been thinking about Single Players, but I feel like I'm about to leave one >.>

The MMO grind is pretty tiresome though. Haven't played portal 2 yet, maybe I'll get that bad boy.

Its basically how I feel, when I go somewhere with old people and they say OH I BROUGHT COOKIES, and hand me those vanilla rip off things...
I didn't mean you would be the one flaming me, but some people on these forums are really sensitive on the topic of which mmo is better ;P

I haven't even played skyrim yet, so I really have to give that a go.

As for this game feeling single player, me and my friends do flashpoints almost every night, so the game feels very mmo to me. I think the game can be played very single player, but the options are there, they just aren't mandatory (which I prefer, but a lot of people don't).

Aisar
01.11.2012 , 08:50 PM | #730
lol. thanks I don't laugh often.
28 Iksar Shadowknight-Freeport Server
"No killing white poobears to make band-aids out of poobear tails."-CygnusMX
http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/swtor...nowhere/#b5414