Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Shoxc
01.11.2012 , 04:48 PM | #11
To those who were wondering if it was actually true that high rez textures existed in beta, here's some footage which clearly shows high rez textures.

AND it was taken in march 2011, at PAX East.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar64l...eature=related

In fact, just google PAX East Swtor and you'll see hundreds of videos and screenshots where it's blatantly obvious (even recorded with camera phones) that the characters are in high rez.

Also, rolled.

Zezel
01.11.2012 , 04:48 PM | #12
Forum mod:

Please investigate how Beta graphics were/are better than released product.

Please investigate how a "medium" graphics setting is a "bug".

Thanks

Nonameperson
01.11.2012 , 04:48 PM | #13
I have a feeling this game gonna be like FF XIV

osuaaron
01.11.2012 , 04:48 PM | #15
Surprising. You'd think this would be a matter of flipping a switch, especially since its already there.

Ljungen
01.11.2012 , 04:48 PM | #16
Did they actually delete 99% of the posts here?
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

bobbyisrael
01.11.2012 , 04:48 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Xreasonz View Post
Originally Posted by PellonSW
This was how they look during BETA up to the final weekends of testing.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3...lmorra__9_.jpg

It was stated in the beta forums which are now gone that they were removing high-res textures in order to cut down the amount of data the players needed to download for the final weekends of test. After a number of player voiced their concerns over the suddenly lower textures in the game they stated that the final game will look much better and not to worry.

this is great proof of it all
Lol ouch! Oh well it's still a fun game that I enjoy playing. And that says a lot coming from me and I'm a graphics whore lol

JeedaiFiresaber
01.11.2012 , 04:48 PM | #18
i know there's been alot of screaming, but yeah.

not happy bioware. I don't understand how evern my own character just looks like a complete and utter mess. I have previewed alot of armors in game and holy cow what is this mess. Its like I'm on ultra low.

I was in beta, and it ran fine with high textures. I don't know what to say... like i mean Mass Effect 2 had some embarrasing textures but this is a whole new low, and for no reason.

Game was not ready.

Skizzik
01.11.2012 , 04:49 PM | #19
Textures are garbage BW. Work faster!!

Sanxion
01.11.2012 , 04:49 PM | #20
Bump and repost:

Positive feedback suggestions:

1. Allow US to CHOOSE if we want to enable high resolution textures.
2. Employ a team who knows what they are doing when it comes to designing clothing. Have them work closely with the graphics artists who can translate their vision into something that will look good with current game settings.

The only reason I can understand for a developer to lock down something which PC users take for granted i.e. CHOICE in what level of graphics the game runs at would be because their main target audience has a universal specification. The only people who have that are console owners. WE are PC's.

So unless you've been developing with an eye for the console market in the future why would you remove that choice from your paying customers?

The bottom line here is that games such as Lotro have much better far more detailed graphics on your characters armour. Given their age you have to ask yourself why is that?

Effectively you are concerned that our top specified PC's simply cannot handle the higher levels of detail when the majority of us already know they can from beta. But again beta or not that's not the point. You have removed the choice we have.

It's all well and good giving a technical explanation as to why high resolution textures currently aren't available in open play but the simple sad fact of the matter is that it is a technical limitation on the engine with what the developers would deem as a reasonable payoff technology wise with regard to a user's PC that they decided isn't feasible! It's not your choice to make. We bought this game under the impression that the graphical capability is as advertised.

Given the sheer amount of effort that has gone into the landscaping and art in this game not to mention the huge amount of money on the overall budget to end up with a game that has textures worse than games which are years older is absolutely shocking and totally unacceptable for me.

What makes it worse is that the actual armour in game seems to have been designed by people who think dressing up as a tramp or just plain horrible drab clothing is a good idea. Given the visual splendour and diversity that we see in the films the clothing that you can have in this game is horrendous. ALL the armour needs a complete overhaul if you ask me as even with high res textures they will still look drab and samey.

What an extremely disappointing outcome especially for the artists who have done amazing work on the landscaping and scenery (pathetic grass draw distance aside but again that's not their fault).

I was all set to subscribe for 6 months. However with the complete farce that has been the outcome of an important issue I'll at best be switching it to a 1 month subscription to see what happens in the immediate short term. If things are not improved drastically and rapidly then I'll be taking my custom elsewhere.

Once again thankyou to Stephen Reid for his hard work in getting the information and keeping us posted.