Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

SucXeviouS
01.11.2012 , 05:17 PM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by MoonsLightV View Post
This would actually make a lot of sense, and why they are covering up the texture AND FPS issues under its "lower end pcs".
im with u +1

vahle
01.11.2012 , 05:17 PM | #132
That's sad. The textures in wow are clean and crisp compared to what we have in SWTOR.
That really just shouldn't be true.

PellonSW
01.11.2012 , 05:18 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by Exostotic View Post
In their defense, that is actually a cut scene.

But damn! I want the game to always look like that. That is gorgeous
We did in beta.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...w/7c5bafb1.png

Barreck
01.11.2012 , 05:18 PM | #134
To be clear, I really like the game and have no plans of un-subbing anytime soon. This is by no means a "rant".

On the other hand this info really bothers me. I have a pretty good PC and I'm content for now... But for those of you that have amazing hand built PCs it must hurt much more. That much time and money to have the game go backwards after beta.

Food for thought on my end though. Not the best of first impressions I must admit.

xChiZx
01.11.2012 , 05:18 PM | #135
Quote: Originally Posted by Pyrolight View Post
<--- long time FFXI player. FF XIV felt almost like a step backwards to me.
Some of the strange pixels are already present in the environment textures we have now, they're just not as visible as they're not sharp. Some of them are also just there as texture so the surfaces don't look as flat or smooth...
Also beware of the "shimmering" effect when forcing LOD bias. It bothers a lot of people a lot, not myself personally, but it can be very noticeable on texture and object edges.

Nitrius
01.11.2012 , 05:19 PM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by SucXeviouS View Post
Quoted from massively user Deliverator:

"THIS IS ALL CAUSED BY BIOWARE IMPLEMENTING REMOTE RENDERING AS A FORM OF COPY PROTECTION. THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING BETWEEN THE HIGH SETTINGS DURING BETA AND THE SETTINGS AVAILABLE NOW.

Massively - what you missed is that the High Rez textures worked fine in the Beta. For release, they implemented REMOTE RENDERING. What's actually happening is that they can't handle the network traffic generated by remotely rendering higher rez textures.

Let me repeat - High Rez doesn't work because of anti-piracy DRM shenanigans, not because they're concerned about players' machines. They're remote rendering so people who have purchased the game won't be able to dig through Lucas's precious artwork for their fan sites.

Again - they're remote rendering so you can't 'steal' what you bought already. Its copy protection and they're willing to go so far as to gimp the game and lie to cover it up.

Remote rendering is the cause of all of the frame drops and slow downs as well as advanced rendering features not working, We pay big money to buy the machines that have gigantic pipes between all of our components, especially to the GPUs. Internet throughput is nowhere near the bandwidth on your motherboard."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01...onc/4#comments
Well this actually might be the problem, don't really dig into these kind of speculations, but this sounds like it might be true, and if it is well then i really hope they do something about it.

Beetlejuicexx
01.11.2012 , 05:19 PM | #137
I'd be happy to simply download a hi-res texture pack and run it on my higher end system locally. (like quite a few other MMO's do nowadays.)

I can't see why remotely, it's a form anti piracy or anything like it. THey already supply the additional security key program, which i use to login.

So +1 for the ability to download a Hi res texture pack for myself, here.

But if im completely honest, this is the first i've seen on teh subject as i don't read the forums much. Guess i've missed quite a bit. I've been fairly happy with the textures and it hadn't really bothered me prior to reading all this furore.

Pyrolight
01.11.2012 , 05:19 PM | #138
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashes_Arizona View Post
F2P games make sure their armor looks fantastic cause its part of the hook that gets people to pay in more money than they'd paid for a "premium" MMO.

Not a fan of Perfect World Entertainment but they definitely don't skimp on visuals cause its how they make a profit.
Not bashing F2P pre-se, they just happen to encompass "everything else".

Sunni
01.11.2012 , 05:19 PM | #139
I agree itís time to take the next step. Bioware has made it clear that they do not respect or value us as paying customers. We should start voicing our opinions and utter disbelief in this garbage Bioware is trying to shove down our throats in the social media.

Bioware will soon understand the MMO gaming community is not one that excepts being lied to or taking advantage of.

Remember what happened to Allods in less than a week, SWG, Planetside and AOC to name a few. All it takes is one miss guided step.

TheRealMadJack
01.11.2012 , 05:20 PM | #140
Quote: Originally Posted by Lemon_King View Post
I was referring to the Cubemap used on the Fleet. If you notice its bias is purposely lowered so its blurry and to not make a mirror.
Point taken.