Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need -> Companion -> Greed / Disassemble > Pass

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Need -> Companion -> Greed / Disassemble > Pass

Dietyz
01.16.2012 , 11:13 PM | #21
I mean do you really ever use ur companion after 50? after the patch when you cant use companions in ilum i wont use mine at all
Han solo mid or feed

Evgen
01.17.2012 , 12:18 AM | #22
A lot of people seem to be assuming that every conversation is applying to max level characters.
This can apply to a level 4 group in a heroic area.
The fact the OP states "since companions are a big part of everyone's soloing." tend to indicate to me it's not about max level characters.
And what's this "good for the group" thing? Everyone is there to get stuff for themselves, right?
Even thinking that way, then the last boss loot should be anything goes because the group no longer "needs" anything from each other :P
And if someone is filling a role in their off spec, probably because it's needed in the group, you really wouldn't let them need loot for their main role?

Suarrez
01.17.2012 , 01:30 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Evgen View Post
A lot of people seem to be assuming that every conversation is applying to max level characters.
This can apply to a level 4 group in a heroic area.
You can't have a companion at level 4. Assuming we are talking about endgame, post-50 content:

Here's the way i see things: if you are partaking in a group, and you are not using your companion, and a piece of loot drops that no player in the group is going to equip on their toon, these are the following reasons why someone might want it:
-to equip on their companion
-to sell for credits, be it to vendor or on AH
-to disassemble for mats/schematics

assuming you're still following my logic, consider the consequences of each of these reasons for wanting the piece of loot:
-a stronger companion allows you to solo faster, or even do instances with fewer than the recommended number of players using a companion. Ultimately, though, both of these possibilities simply result in a daily quest being completed quicker or party members having to share loot with fewer players.
-repair costs? no biggy - this 6k vendor trash will make those repair woes all better. You want that new shiny that someone just put up on the AH for 5k more than you have in your purse? no biggy - this 5k vendor trash will seal the deal for you.
-more mats and cool schematics = better gear made to be equipped on player/companion and/or sold for credits.

See where i'm going here? No matter why you think you want that shiny purple that dropped, it will ultimately come down to your personal greed for credits. YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WEAR IT! As soon as that distinction has been made, it's only as valuable to you or your companion as it is to the next guy who needs to repair his raid gear.

Speaking from experience, i'm personally sick and tired of friends, guildies, and puggers alike needing on epics for their companions as if their companions, that contributed absolutely nothing to the acquiring of said epic, deserve it more than I deserve a CHANCE at the epic's credit value.

TDLR: Your companion doesn't deserve a piece of gear that no one in the group is going to wear anymore than I deserve that piece of gear's credit value. If you want to ninja an epic for your companion, you ought to pay everyone in the group WHO SPENT THEIR TIME AND ENERGY ACQUIRING THAT LOOT credits.

Evgen
01.17.2012 , 05:55 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Suarrez View Post
You can't have a companion at level 4. Assuming we are talking about endgame, post-50 content
I think I could get a companion at level 4 If only as a guest
You are correct though, I was just thinking of the lowest possible level people might be grouping up for heroic content, but 4 is still low for that. I don't think this is referring to end game content, but even then, I think it's not unreasonable.

Quote:
See where i'm going here? No matter why you think you want that shiny purple that dropped, it will ultimately come down to your personal greed for credits. YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WEAR IT! As soon as that distinction has been made, it's only as valuable to you or your companion as it is to the next guy who needs to repair his raid gear.
I think you are the only one here with a personal greed for credit.
You would rather have 6k credits for yourself, which would take how long long to get at level 50? 10 minutes? 20? How long would it take, and how much would it cost to buy that same purple "vendor trash"? The very fact you could think of a rare item as vendor trash is amazing.

You obviously think very selfishly if you assume people do content with companions so they don't have to share the loot with real people. Some of your friends, guildies and pug people seem to think needing for companions is an OK practice. I'm sure some people were against the DE/RE option in there as well.

I think the point of the whole system is that if an item can be used used it's better than just selling it for 10 or 5% of its value.
Getting a good item is one of the little up moments in these kind of games.
Can you tell me that selling "vendor trash" is? Do people say "grats on the armor repair"?

Bobty
01.17.2012 , 07:07 PM | #25
Strange how some people are making it out to be some horrible game breaking issue if companion loot rolls took priority over what effectively turn into vendor rolls.

As it stands I tend to just roll greed on the relevant companion appropriate gear and just hope I win it given there was no agreement for the group to roll for companion gear if no one needed it themselves.

That said one of my friends rolls need on companion gear once everyone has passed without even asking which I disagree with on principle.

I would say if anything BOE gear should be exempt from companion rolls then it would be fine for secondary rolls to be for companions. This would still also mean the group could trade you for said items if they were happy to. I politely asked if I could have an item(a BOE) a group member won for my companion and the player agreed to trade me for it yesterday.

*edit* Also has some people have mentioned this discussion shouldn't be exclusive to level 50 players.

Another thing that is reasonable to bring into play is how some people enjoy gearing their companions and if it is not adversely effecting other players(aside from a couple of 1000 lost from vendor loot) then it isn't really unreasonable to ask that players be given another roll option for companions.

Requimo
01.17.2012 , 07:23 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Katalystika View Post
So much fail here I don't even know where to begin. Just as an example, the BH's companions all use the exact same AIM/EDU stats (with Mako being the exception) So right there, anything with STR or WILL is not going to be getting rolled on by a BH...

On topic, I agree with this suggestion. My +1!
I'm consular and my companions use Aim/Will/Cunning. The only one left out is STR. But again I might do with a companion button. It will only be neccessary until 50 tho.

Somentine
01.17.2012 , 08:28 PM | #27
If you can get even a slight use out of a piece of gear, it is more valuable than straight up vendoring it. BoE is slightly different as you can sell it or trade to other players. BoP doesn't need a 'companion roll', but it wouldn't hurt. If you are actually starved for credits in this game, you are doing something wrong.

If you really wanted to make rolls mean something it should go in this order:

BoP
-----
Need (Only if your class can use it)
Companion (Only if one of your companions can use it)
Greed/RE

BoE
-----
Need (binds when picked up, only if your class can use it)
Greed/RE

If you can't see the logic in that, I don't know what I could say to convince you. I think they need to focus on the more pressing issues of, you know, ALL THE BUGS in the game, but this could be a down the line addition that would be beneficial.

On a side note, I wonder how some of you feel about my Nadia being decked in full T2 gear, Qyzen in mostly T2 Jedi knight gear (lol... have no JK in the group we roll with for HMs) and my Zenith having some T2 and alot of random epics... actually all my companions are probably more geared than 95% of the players.

Edit: And yes, I actually do use my companion for everything but Raids and PvP battlegrounds. Hell, i've even used Nadia in some HMs where moving isn't as much of a problem... and if it is I just micro her or pull her.

Cajbo
01.17.2012 , 11:31 PM | #28
All I can say is where I'm coming from. I'm not suggesting or branding anyone any names such as thief or whatever. I see gearing up companions as an inherently optional practice (maybe greedy might have some "bad" connotation to some people, but I'm meaning it as an option that you happen to have a taste for). It's not needed, even for leveling.

I got my Bounty Hunter to 50 just fine without much of a fuss with any of my companions "needing" to be upgraded.

I'm having no issues with my sorcerer at the moment either (it's still pre-20s though).

I'm alright with the "play it by ear" situation-based greeding/needing of it. I just find adding another roll button overkill. This is almost a non-issue if you look at it with a impassive view of...it's loot. It's going to drop again. You loot to play the game (getting better gear helps you get further in content, as far as end-game goes), you don't play the game to loot.

Gear as you're leveling there's so many ways to get gear (from quests, commendations, world drops, flashpoints, vendors, GTN) that leveling is more important then getting better gear. As soon as you get the gear you want at lvl 20, it'll be obsolete by the time you're 25.

I've actually had someone needing a tanking weapon for their companion before, at first I was wondering why they did it with annoyance (because I didn't even think about it as something to do), once I found out I laughed it off. Also, after my initial reaction, I looked and noticed I had a modifiable weapon anyway. All I need to do was get a new barrel with my commendations. (I actually have a blog entry about it: http://finiteuniverse.com/2011/12/th...ublican-entry/)

Salmissra
01.17.2012 , 11:36 PM | #29
Lost a need roll on a level 25 cunning helm as my operative against a level 34 assassin who wanted it for his companion.

At least if this @#$# option existed, dum-dums that like might at least see the "Companion" option and actually pause to think about what they're pressing

Don't forget this goes hand-in-hand with NO TRADING OF LOOT. No grace period allowing you to trade a bop item to someone who was present for the kill that provided it. So no going "Hey, I could actually use that" and politely asking for it, or doing anything but just raging at someone who made a mistake/stupid error.

Lexlo
01.17.2012 , 11:44 PM | #30
Don't take Sketchy people into Raids/Flashpoints.

Problem Solved.