Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Need -> Companion -> Greed / Disassemble > Pass

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Need -> Companion -> Greed / Disassemble > Pass

Salmissra's Avatar


Salmissra
01.11.2012 , 02:11 PM | #1
Doesn't it seem like a companion-specific roll ought to be added in between need and greed?

I certainly don't want to hit need for a companion item if I'm not sure if someone in my group actually needs it for themself

By the same ticket, if I just hit greed along with the others, I don't know if people are rolling for companions, vendor, looks, or what

Most of the time I'll wait and see if others pass/greed roll while I'm checking to see if the item could be of use to my companion(s) then type out "Gonna take for companion if nobody minds" or some such. It's kind of cumbersome.

Feels like the option should be added, since companions are a big part of everyone's soloing.

Ravaran's Avatar


Ravaran
01.11.2012 , 02:21 PM | #2
Yes, agreed.

Daayz's Avatar


Daayz
01.11.2012 , 04:29 PM | #3
No there's absolutely no point in adding companion roll option since everybody will just hit that option given that among the 5 different companions that everybody has they can pretty much use every piece of gear.

So in essence everybody would just hit companion in order to get a chance to win the item - it would essentially become the new greed and you would never be able to take advantage of disassembles because of this.

I could see it perhaps working in guild groups but in PUGs it would be terrible. In guild groups you can just talk it out anyways so new option is not needed.

Dee-Jay's Avatar


Dee-Jay
01.11.2012 , 06:10 PM | #4
I agree with the OP.

I too would like to gear my companions without "needing" on an item roll.

I also wouldn't be too worried about people overusing it, since companion gear progresses just like everyone else. Outside of quests, it's really hard to get good companion gear.

Katalystika's Avatar


Katalystika
01.11.2012 , 07:08 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Daayz View Post
No there's absolutely no point in adding companion roll option since everybody will just hit that option given that among the 5 different companions that everybody has they can pretty much use every piece of gear.
So much fail here I don't even know where to begin. Just as an example, the BH's companions all use the exact same AIM/EDU stats (with Mako being the exception) So right there, anything with STR or WILL is not going to be getting rolled on by a BH...

On topic, I agree with this suggestion. My +1!

Kelticfury's Avatar


Kelticfury
01.11.2012 , 07:16 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Katalystika View Post
So much fail here I don't even know where to begin. Just as an example, the BH's companions all use the exact same AIM/EDU stats (with Mako being the exception) So right there, anything with STR or WILL is not going to be getting rolled on by a BH...

On topic, I agree with this suggestion. My +1!
yeah and the universe revolves completely around all bh groups all the time.

KaiHeilos's Avatar


KaiHeilos
01.11.2012 , 07:52 PM | #7
Lets not put in options because some idiots might abuse it!

Salmissra's Avatar


Salmissra
01.11.2012 , 10:20 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Daayz View Post
No there's absolutely no point in adding companion roll option since everybody will just hit that option given that among the 5 different companions that everybody has they can pretty much use every piece of gear.

So in essence everybody would just hit companion in order to get a chance to win the item - it would essentially become the new greed and you would never be able to take advantage of disassembles because of this.

I could see it perhaps working in guild groups but in PUGs it would be terrible. In guild groups you can just talk it out anyways so new option is not needed.
Talking it out is not the best option when you're on a roll timer, and someone else might be debating if they personally need the item.

Many companions use similar stats of your own character. For imperial side, at least, only the sith warrior has companions that actually use each of the 4 prime stats. Even so, I doubt people will try to gear up every companion - I personally only have and continue to use one of them. Aside from her (Mako) I have been giving one of them my hand-me-down gear (Blizz) and grabbing the occasional random bit for a dps one (Gault). I really have no impetus to bother trying to gear up the other 2.

I disagree completely that it would become the new 'greed' roll. People are not as careless and loot-driven as you seem to assert. The only loot-related issues I've come across when grouping with people is some of them being confused as to *what* to use (bounty hunters rolling on strength gear, etc.), and that's not malicious intent, just newbieness.

Unaki's Avatar


Unaki
01.11.2012 , 10:37 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Salmissra View Post
Talking it out is not the best option when you're on a roll timer, and someone else might be debating if they personally need the item.

Many companions use similar stats of your own character. For imperial side, at least, only the sith warrior has companions that actually use each of the 4 prime stats. Even so, I doubt people will try to gear up every companion - I personally only have and continue to use one of them. Aside from her (Mako) I have been giving one of them my hand-me-down gear (Blizz) and grabbing the occasional random bit for a dps one (Gault). I really have no impetus to bother trying to gear up the other 2.

I disagree completely that it would become the new 'greed' roll. People are not as careless and loot-driven as you seem to assert. The only loot-related issues I've come across when grouping with people is some of them being confused as to *what* to use (bounty hunters rolling on strength gear, etc.), and that's not malicious intent, just newbieness.
Easy solution: "If a STR piece drops that <companion name> can use, can I need?" That gives you more than enough time and that is BEFORE the boss.
JAWA PUNTERS
Corellian Run <Republic> Raiding Guild
Official Site - Recruitment

Salmissra's Avatar


Salmissra
01.11.2012 , 10:49 PM | #10
So we have to list out at the start of the instance every slot that every person present still needs with stat X and whether we could use that on companion Y? No thanks, how is that easy? A roll choice is easy.