Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ranged vs. Melee

Dekadez
12.14.2011 , 08:12 AM | #1
Hey guys,

Been watching a lot of EA streams, sadly not in myself yet, and one thing that has been pretty apparent is how Ranged clearly have the upper hand over Melee due to how powerful CC is. I've been watching a Marauder and Sentinel for most of the time and despite him being a clever player, he gets ravaged constantly by Bounty Hunters and Sorcs.

I know Marauders/Sentinels don't shine until later on, as will probably be the case for other Melee too, but how is PvP in the higher brackets? Is there more balance between the different styles of PvP DPS?

Just throwing it out here, it has me a tad concerned to see Melee w/o stealth mechanics to pick their fight struggling this hard.

Thanks for your response and keep it civil.

Lerdoc
12.14.2011 , 08:14 AM | #2
If you've seen anything below lvl 50 then forget about it.
Classes are balanced at maximum level when all tools are avialable to them.
Some classes get CC earlier, some later, some get additional CC breaks or similar.

Can't judge something that is not lvl 50.

Dekadez
12.14.2011 , 08:17 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Lerdoc View Post
If you've seen anything below lvl 50 then forget about it.
Classes are balanced at maximum level when all tools are avialable to them.
Some classes get CC earlier, some later, some get additional CC breaks or similar.

Can't judge something that is not lvl 50.
I agree, but that doesn't mean 10-49 PvP shouldn't be viable.

Lerdoc
12.14.2011 , 08:20 AM | #4
And they are. Just some classes will have a harder time against X before they get to the tools needed to counter that X class.

Also, regardless of class, in every single MMO ranged always had and will have advantage over melee. Melee simply requires more effort and therefore skill to pull off as effectively.

SithZannah
12.14.2011 , 08:21 AM | #5
Agree
PvP should also have a fair balance between level 10-49.
"I can use my powers to conjure up your worst nightmares and bring them to life before your eyes. I can drive you mad with fear, shred your sanity, and leave you a raving lunatic for the rest of your life."
―Zannah

Rewrench
12.14.2011 , 08:25 AM | #6
Marauder gets a lot of powerful abilities. I dont see them having trouble if played decently.
But yes they will need talent points and higher level abilities more than most.

Scelerant
12.14.2011 , 08:36 AM | #7
You also have to keep in mind that certain warzones favor one over the other, Huttball for instance is so ranged biased it makes Alterac Valley look like it was biased in favor of rogues.
FYI, it’s not “elitist” to expect people to be competent at a task to which they have dedicated hundreds of hours.
Everything currently wrong with the Sith Warrior/JK design.
Sith Assassin Rotation Calculator progress.

Master_Rayden
12.14.2011 , 08:41 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
Hey guys,

Been watching a lot of EA streams, sadly not in myself yet, and one thing that has been pretty apparent is how Ranged clearly have the upper hand over Melee due to how powerful CC is. I've been watching a Marauder and Sentinel for most of the time and despite him being a clever player, he gets ravaged constantly by Bounty Hunters and Sorcs.

I know Marauders/Sentinels don't shine until later on, as will probably be the case for other Melee too, but how is PvP in the higher brackets? Is there more balance between the different styles of PvP DPS?

Just throwing it out here, it has me a tad concerned to see Melee w/o stealth mechanics to pick their fight struggling this hard.

Thanks for your response and keep it civil.
I get what you are saying, I played a Jug and a Sin and against other melee I was good to go but against a Sorc I could not move... there was nothing I could do, I would pop my stun breaker and just get stun/snare right after and since its on a 300 sec CD... its worthless :/

In hutt ball forget about it on a sin with the traps between me and any ranged with a push back... i was snared going thru traps which would be fun but when I made it i just get pushed back in to the active trap... so wait on the other side right...well they are a ranged class duh they want to kill you as you wait outside of melee range... so die from getting out ranged... die from closeing cause of being CC into a trap... or get out of range and just let them score... cause as far as I can tell all the classes are balanced so melee has no boost when they actually can close.

Now maruaders feel this the worst I'm sure cause they lack def and escapes... but that does not mean they need a buff... all melee classes need a stronger resist to crowd control, or for the root/stun/snare removing ablitily to be like 120 sec timer (that would be my first choice) and give it like a 6 sec immunity for melee classes only.
Proud Member
Disciples of the Fallen
Sith Empire Hardcore PvP

JackSmoke
12.14.2011 , 08:46 AM | #9
You got to remember that if you lose a PvP battle it's not all about

"OMG, THAT OTHER CLASS IS SO MUCH BETTAh aga1nst m1n3 !!!111"

There is a, most likely, human beeing behind the enemy you were facing and maybe he just managed his cooldowns better, his energy or else. PvP is not all about stats and rock, paper, scissor, it's also about luck (procs, critical hits, hit & miss) and how smart you are.

Also remember that this game has no keybinds yet where you have to press just 1 macro to get your rotation right and mess up the enemy with that. And I really hope there'll never be any macros in SW:TOR, as it would ruin the PvP experience for me.
Smoke Legacy - Legacy Level: 37
----
@YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Hypnotoa...s?feature=mhee
Machinima's Gamer of the Week #43

HeyImTempzz
12.14.2011 , 08:54 AM | #10
If its Sentinal... well they should be smashing the gear of a BH if there good, BH have very very bad kiting abilitiys. Okay so survival is decent but no, Sent/mara are quite good counters for BH..