Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What if Star wars Galaxies would be reopened?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
What if Star wars Galaxies would be reopened?

DarthPeterNorth
01.11.2012 , 12:48 PM | #1
Fresh Start. Before NGE. Skill system etc.

Would you play it? I would for sure.
Digital Deluxe Edition Owner.

LordRelyks
01.11.2012 , 12:51 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthPeterNorth View Post
Fresh Start. Before NGE. Skill system etc.

Would you play it? I would for sure.

Most definitely. I never played pre NGE, and would love to see what it was really like, instead of playing the emu.

Wiz' Khalifa/Nevaro Kas'im from Flurry SWG.

Wegabe_Awock
01.11.2012 , 12:52 PM | #3
Now, I played SWG and I thought it was a fantastic game, but no. Also, what you are talking about already exists to some extent. It's called the "SWG EMU".

http://site.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

Personally, I think SWG had a good run but it's time is over.
Various characters on Jedi Covenant Server
Formerly Wegabe Awock - Star Wars Galaxies (Ahazi/Flurry)

Referral link (for new players and ex-subscribers) -http://www.swtor.com/r/B48mTP

Jerig
01.11.2012 , 01:11 PM | #4
I'm not a fan of the EMU because the system is PreCU which wasn't all that great...
The Initial Combat Upgrade - before the New Game Engine - maintained the non-linear advancement system, streamlined the combat situation will cool downs and a GCD rather than a queue and script, it removed the grind for crafting but maintained the unique crafting qualities, and it offered a huge sandbox of experience enhanced with a unique flow of development.

I loved the game CU to NGE and I will miss it.

TOR so far has done a brilliant job engaging me within the story and the visuals. The voice acting is excellent and the writing is intriguing and compelling. I'm very much enjoying the core of the game. If some details can be altered - chat bubbles, chat window/tab mechanics, combat logs, macros, responsiveness, crew skill elements, shadows and textures, and custom gear models or an appearance tab - this game could be the Star Wars adventure we've been waiting for since the NGE.
Jerig Saraford - Jedi Knight Myllo Jessik - Smuggler Torion Vale - Bounty Hunter
Coruscant Vanguard Sith Empire Shien RP-PVE Server

Dustman
01.11.2012 , 01:41 PM | #5
id play any version of swg . i play the emu , and once it's good enough to trump this im out to play in the sand
Dust From Intrepid and Im Coming to Kill You
Also Known as Dreath
Member of Concilium Join or Die

Aharx
01.11.2012 , 03:44 PM | #6
In a heart beat. I played SWG since day 1. If it were to ever make a GOOD come back, I would play it for sure.
Aharx Pasari
Smuggler- Scoundrel: Sawbones
<<<--- GFF --->>>
"She may not look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts."

Redshirt_Trooper
01.11.2012 , 04:18 PM | #7
No. It had its time. And it passed. Nostalgia makes things look better than they actually were.
The Force has freed me, but where shall I go?

xJACKTHERIPPERx
01.11.2012 , 04:25 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Redshirt_Trooper View Post
No. It had its time. And it passed. Nostalgia makes things look better than they actually were.
5char
<Shadowlands> Munda - 60 Sniper | Seever - 60 Juggernaut | Kaasra - 60 Assassin | Vasius - 56 Mercenary | Innoss - 57 Sage | Sediya - 60 Vanguard | Yellow'Polka - 56 Sentinel | Vi'da - 55 Scoundrel

Jerig
01.11.2012 , 04:45 PM | #9
I'll give you that for the feelings about the people, the initial experience with an MMO, and discovering the sandbox - but the mechanics: Custom decorated housing, Non-linear progression, Percentage based crafting performance tied to purity of sample resources - those aren't wrapped into the nostalgia blanket. Those are GOOD mechanics and were implemented VERY well.
Jerig Saraford - Jedi Knight Myllo Jessik - Smuggler Torion Vale - Bounty Hunter
Coruscant Vanguard Sith Empire Shien RP-PVE Server

Vecke
01.11.2012 , 05:07 PM | #10
I agree. And it's not even nostalgia exactly. It's that people forget the most important reason SWG pre-CU had such a positive effect on us: It was because of where we were, as gamers. We expected much less from our MMOs back then.

I remember shortly after launch, my big goal was to get to that cliff above Mos Eisley. I found the cliff and watched the Suns setting. I was happy.

Then I went into the cantina and saw aliens sitting around. Stormtroopers at the bar. People were RPing all over the place.

I just leaned back and said, "I ***ing LOVE this game."

I got my missions and ran into the desert (this was before mounts). I was in awe. I was actually walking across the deserts of Tatooine! The fact that the mission was "kill x" in the middle of the desert had no bearing on my enjoyment of the game.

Today, MMO's have evolved, but - more importantly - gamers have evolved. Above isn't nearly enough to elicit that feeling of pure joy it elicited in us back during Pre-CU.

So I think if SWG came out pre-cu, there would be a large amount of people that would flock to it, but I do believe all but the most hard-core supporters of the game (and the GCW era) would end up right back here.
"I know."