Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PC resets to a blue screen during SWTOR gameplay

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
PC resets to a blue screen during SWTOR gameplay

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lsheistaon
01.11.2012 , 11:50 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello everyone,

If your PC has consistently or even periodically resets to a blue screen during SWTOR gameplay, please provide the following information in your reply:
  1. Information from the windows event log.
    1. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...n-Event-Viewer
    2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427
    3. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...n-Event-Viewer

2. Any results from the diagnosing hardware failures steps below.

1. Run chkdsk via the Windows Command Prompt
    2. Please check now your system memory for possible errors
      1. Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool from http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
      2. Run the tool according to Microsoft’s directions
      3. If errors are detected, please remove/replace the affected memory.

3. Check your Power Options to avoid ‘sleep’ settings
      1. Open the Windows Start Menu.
      2. Select ‘Control Panel’
      3. Select 'Hardware and Sound'
      4. Select ‘Power Options’
      5. Set your plan to ‘High Performance’ or if you have a custom plan, change the ‘Put the computer to sleep:’ to ‘Never’.

3. Please include the following as well in your replies:
    1. Your DXDiag in spoiler tags.
    2. If you are aware of this information, GPU and CPU temperatures during gameplay and right before the game shutdown.
    3. If you have checked for a memory module failures, or any other hardware failures.
    4. Any information you can provide about your power supply – how old is it, what is its watt rating?
    5. Any potentially helpful information about triggers:
      1. Were you on character select, server select or in-game?
      2. If in-game, what were you doing at the time of the reset?
      3. Is it possible the screensaver turned on at the moment of the reset?

In an effort to make it easier for us to read all of your data, please respond to this thread with your answers in the same format as we have the questions above!
Thanks!

Lsheistaon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Mikhaelo
01.11.2012 , 12:13 PM | #2
I am currently playing on my 5 year old computer (slow and awkward but playable) since I was crashing to black screen on my new unit. (did not go to desktop, could not ctrl alt del to taskmanager, and had to manually turn off the system) As soon as I can I will be setting up the new unit and sending you information.

One "key" fact. My new unit worked great thru the last two betas and from Dec 16 to Dec 19 when the servers were shut down prior to the official release. The next day, Dec 20 was when the problems started.

I had checked everything you detailed in the post already to no avail. I also ran HWMonitor to check the GPU temp and they were well below "hot" range. My system is ASUS 8gig memory, liquid cooling, 4 fans, i7- 2600k, and GTX 580 with overclock turned off.

But in my case something in the patch between 4pm Dec 19 and 1 AM Dec 20 started my problems.

Thanks and will be attempting to use the new unit soon.

zoofar
01.11.2012 , 12:32 PM | #3
+1 for caring. And thanks for checklist.
Peace

Tohrazer
01.11.2012 , 01:51 PM | #4
i BSOD alot, pretty randomly but especially when raiding, also when hanging around basically anywhere and pvping, im not sure what temperature my card runs at tbh but it has a pretty decent fan and doesnt bsod with any other games (including skyrim on high) my PSU is 700 or 750 watt i believe and about a year old

i ran a memory test a couple of months ago and everything was fine

heres my dxdiag:

Spoiler

im not sure why but i cant shake the feeling it might be a sound issue, i have updated all my sound/gpu drivers etc but it crashed a ton in beta when i had my headset directly plugged into my pc, and seemed to lessen when i plugged it into my keyboard
Guild Leader | Aggressive Negotiations
Negotiations With a Lightsaber!
3 World first Kills, Ex SK Gaming/Curse, played wow, swg, aoc, war, ddo, lotro, and the rest

zoofar
01.11.2012 , 05:46 PM | #5
I don't have any bsod info to give as of yet 'cause I didn't blue screen tonigh at all
I would like to share what I changed earlier though, in case any conclusions can be drawn from it.

Rig:
Spoiler

Before I used to crash about 1-2 per hour on anything but low textures and shadows. Random locations.

This evening I:
Set both launcher and swtor.exe to run in Windows XP SP3 compability.
Disabled paging file on all drives.
These are not tips, only info

After this I maxed out gfx settings and turned AA on via CCC.

I was getting 40-60fps at various places over Hoth. Sometimes fps would drop when loading new stuff(?), but overall a stable 40-60.

I monitored GPU temp during this and noted it was at 80-90C. Fan however was always around 20-25% (set to auto). I turned fan up to 65% wich put GPU at 60-65C on max settings.

Windows memory usage at this time was ~3.8->4.4Gb . it actually increased slightly while playing.

I played the game like this for maybe 2-3 hours and it ran like a charm.

It all ended with a crash to desktop during a game of Hutball, but right before that I was having some gfx anomalies and conn issues...so might not at all be related to initial issues.

So my amateur conclusion here on the blue screens I have been having:
* Radeon cards might not be adjusting fan speed enough to keep GPU cooled.
* Windows paging file was 'causing issues.
* The compability mode helped (but I actually do think I've blue screened with that on before...not sure)
...but tbh I leave the real conclusions to the actual pro's ^^

Keep in mind also that SWTOR is the first game (or program for that) where I suffered blue screens...not trying to flame...just providing info.

Hope it helps any detective

EDIT: I now played another evening ~4h with no crash. In addition to things mentioned above I now also turned off the Intel Turbo Thing in BIOS after reading about it as a possible solution to "random" crashes. So that would make my personal crash problems solved...I hope.
Peace

zoofar
01.11.2012 , 06:12 PM | #6
Forgot this:

DxDiag:
Spoiler
Peace

Koopababy
01.11.2012 , 06:59 PM | #7
Im a posterboy for Swtor bsod's. If theres a problem with your game you will find it on my system. I crash at least 10 times a day. Swtor only. I finally partitioned my disk last night put a fresh install on, updated all drivers to current and did all windows updates. No other programs are on my computer. Game still crashes.

1.Windows CHKDSK has checked the system and has found no problems.

2.Ran memory test all night last night. No problems

3.------------------
Spoiler

4. I usually crash the most when in the waiting room of a warfront or republic fleet. Most times il crash with first 5 minutes of play. Sometimes i csan play 7 hours with no problems. When the game is runing, it runs perfect and smooth. 90% of my crashes come from Republic fleet or Warfronts.

5. This is the only recent crash i can find in event viewer.

Spoiler

6. Power supply: is 1 yr old. 450 watt. had it tested at local computer reapir shop to make sure it was good.

7. Temp monitor shows my card running at 40c. I logged in ran around republic fleet for 2 minutes. went to hangar flew to ord mantell to try and que from a different planet. Qued for a warfront and checked my temp i was at 49c. when i hit enter warfront. computer monitor went black and computer rebooted. no error message this time.

8. sleep mode is set to never.

atrophyeddie
01.11.2012 , 08:02 PM | #8
1. - The windows event log of my most recent crash

Spoiler

- The error event log following reboot

Spoiler

2. a) CheckDisk found no errors
b) Windows Memory Diagnostic found no errors
c) 'sleep' mode has always been disabled

3. a) My DxDiag
Spoiler

b) I max out my fans and GPU temp is usually around 50C and never gets above 60C
c) No memory module or hardware failures that I know of
d) My power supply is 1 year old and is 700W
e) I have not found any triggers for the crashes. It has always happened in game though (not at the character selection screen). Sometimes I crash while I am questing, or in a warzone, or even standing around and vendoring items. So, it doesn't seem to be tied to any graphically difficult scenarios. I have previously turned my screen saver off and the crashes still occurred.

EXTRA:
- Here is a minidump from one of today's crashes:
Spoiler

- And here is a minidump from 01/09/12
Spoiler

Koopababy
01.11.2012 , 08:47 PM | #9
9. Recent log report from swtor log file .
Spoiler

JensenMc
01.11.2012 , 10:02 PM | #10
I saw this post and I thought i would share my experience. I had many many BSOD playing tor at least a couple an hour Here is something i did that seem to fix my issue. First my specs though:

Intel i7 920
DFI lanparty X58 motherboard
8 gigs of ddr3 ram
2 raided SSD hard drives
Nvidia GTX260 video card

I first updated my nvidia video card drivers to 290.53 beta
installed the latest intel x58 drivers
flashed my ssd drivers to the latest firmware
updated my mobo to the latest bios

since that time i have yet to have another BSOD. not sure what fixed it but that is my experience